cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RMA for a Formula ix board

Edward_Teach
Level 7
Well this sucks. Just got off the phone with asus and now I have to rma a motherboard that has been in use for three days. Don't understand what happened. It never showed any problems. I didn't even get started on the overclock yet. It won't start the boot process, just goes straight to code 00. Tried 3 other cpus, swapped the ram, reflashed the bios, and pulled the battery out. The tech made me do it all again on the phone and once he gave up, issued the rma. I hope I didn't fry my cpu, it clocked to 5.2 ghz. I did enable the xmp profile but it never crashed on me so I don't think that was the cause.Between this and the gpu problems I have had I am really starting to lose confidences in Asus. 3 gpus and now a motherboard, that's 4 out of 5 Asus products that have crapped out in the past year. Now i am nervous about how this is going to turn out. I have heard horror stories about Asus rma service and this time its outside the window of return to get it swapped or my money back. Today has completely sucked.
37 REPLIES 37

Nate152
Hi Edward_Teach

Sorry to hear what sounds like your motherboard died. Code 00 usually points to a dead motherboard or cpu and since you've tried three cpu's we can lean strongly toward the motherboard. It sometimes can be a psu issue too, you could double check the 8-pin cpu power cable is secured into place.

I agree with you, that sucks.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Edward_Teach

Sorry to hear what sounds like your motherboard died. Code 00 usually points to a dead motherboard or cpu and since you've tried three cpu's we can lean strongly toward the motherboard. It sometimes can be a psu issue too, you could double check the 8-pin cpu power cable is secured into place.

I agree with you, that sucks.

All the fans and lights came on but i could try another cpu cable but the cable was fully clipped in. I have been entertaining myself reading Asus rma stories and the reviews on the place in Indiana where they want me to send it. Not very comforting but I guess it will help me prepare for the worst. I didn't see any bent pins in the socket either. What bothers me is I am sending what is basically a 3 day old motherboard and will get returned a broken one that was fixed as a replacement.. At least that was what was hinted at to me on the phone. Thats not what I paid $400 for. This process will be what decides my future purchases from Asus 4 out of 5 items returned. I like Asus but this is either the worst case of bad luck or a really bad quality control issue. Thank god my formula 8 board still works or else I would be without a system at all.

Just set it back up to swap cpu cable. No luck there.

Nate152
All right

Yeah it's looking like the motherboard went faulty.

Keep us updated on the RMA status, if you have any problems or it's taking exceptionally long I will forward this to an administrator.

Nate152 wrote:
All right

Yeah it's looking like the motherboard went faulty.

Keep us updated on the RMA status, if you have any problems or it's taking exceptionally long I will forward this to an administrator.

Thank you. Maybe it will turn out alright. I shouldn't assume the worst until it happens. They told me 5 to 10 days once they receive it. That's not to bad.

Nate152
You're welcome

That's a reasonable time, get it shipped off tomorrow if you can.

It's a nice feeling to have a back up motherboard and this should make it much less painful. 🙂

Nate152 wrote:
You're welcome

That's a reasonable time, get it shipped off tomorrow if you can.

It's a nice feeling to have a back up motherboard and this should make it much less painful. 🙂

Well, it's in Fed Ex hands now. The service center in Indiana should have it within a week. I will update when I hear something.

Nate152
Awesome, yeah it will take a few days to ship and a few days to ship back. I'd expect it back around 2 - 2 1/2 weeks 3 at the very latest.

Thank you for the update. 🙂

I guess Asus can't fix my MB so they are sending out a recertified MB. What is a recertified motherboard? When I asked, the tech basically said that it is a motherboard that they had laying around. It's not a new motherboard but it's not a fixed motherboard either. Can anyone clarify this for me?

Edward_Teach wrote:
I guess Asus can't fix my MB so they are sending out a recertified MB. What is a recertified motherboard? When I asked, the tech basically said that it is a motherboard that they had laying around. It's not a new motherboard but it's not a fixed motherboard either. Can anyone clarify this for me?

It could be an open box return. The buyer could have returned it for any number of reasons so when the merchant sends it back ASUS will recertify it to make sure there is nothing actually wrong with the board. It's also possible that a customer RMA'd the board but there wasn't anything actually wrong with it.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…