cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X399 Issues

vsimone67
Level 7
I am having issues copying large files over my 10g network. My main PC is a new ThreadRipper X399 (ROG ZENITH EXTREME) and the card came with the motherboard is the ROG 10G. I have an Asus 10G switch (XG-U2008) and the server I am copying to has an Asus 10G nic (XG-C100C). Both cables are CAT 6a and the led lights are blue on the switch for the 10G connection.

When I start to copy large files it starts out good, I get 300-500mbs, after a few seconds the transfer speed goes down to 0 and it just sits there for a few minutes then I get an Windows error about the network connection. I ran this several different ways but it seems to point to the card. To eliminate some of the other variables, I then ran the same file copy over the on board Intel Lan of the motherboard and it worked with no issues (just a lot slower).

I have jumbo frames on the NIC 9014, Link Speed 10g (not auto), and receive buffer to max 4096. Are there any settings I need to change?
14 REPLIES 14

Korth
Level 14
Which "Windows error about the network connection"?
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
Which "Windows error about the network connection"?

The share I am copying to is not available, then a dialog to retry or cancel appears.

Korth
Level 14
Sounds more like an administration/privilege error than a hardware or driver fault.

I'm guessing you're trying to transfer whole drives or folders and at some point Windows encounters an item which your user privilege level isn't allowed to move/delete.

You can reconfigure (most) of your user privileges if logged on as an "Admin" user and running gpedit.msc. You can try "Run as Administrator" when launching your file manager. You can try Copy & Paste instead of Cut & Paste. You can try "Take Ownership" on all affected objects. Or you can boot from a non-WinOS device like a linux Live USB to circumvent the Microsoft UAC mess entirely.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
Sounds more like an administration/privilege error than a hardware or driver fault.

I'm guessing you're trying to transfer whole drives or folders and at some point Windows encounters an item which your user privilege level isn't allowed to move/delete.

You can reconfigure (most) of your user privileges if logged on as an "Admin" user and running gpedit.msc. You can try "Run as Administrator" when launching your file manager. You can try Copy & Paste instead of Cut & Paste. You can try "Take Ownership" on all affected objects. Or you can boot from a non-WinOS device like a linux Live USB to circumvent the Microsoft UAC mess entirely.

Thanks for the input butI my account has admin rights. What is happening is the copy starts off fine and goes for a few seconds then the MBS goes to 0 then after a while I get the Windows error. There have been multiple PCIE issues reported for the X399 platform so I am hoping a BIOS update fixes this mess.

Korth
Level 14
Windows user admin is not equal to Windows root-level admin. The OS asserts "higher priority" than the user and can prevent many specific user "admin" things from happening.

This is written for Win7 but also applies to Win8 and Win10:
https://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/secure-the-windows-7-administrator-account/

The problem you're describing sounds very much like the WinOS is halting a file transfer because the (admin) user is being denied privilege. It could probably be reproduced without even using the network.

[/Korth]

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Hi vsimone67,

To test out the the transfer rate, have you tried iperf 3?
https://iperf.fr/iperf-download.php

By tweaking the driver setting with 4K Jumbo Frames, you should be getting over 700MB/s depending on the type of storage you have.

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
Hi vsimone67,

To test out the the transfer rate, have you tried iperf 3?
https://iperf.fr/iperf-download.php

By tweaking the driver setting with 4K Jumbo Frames, you should be getting over 700MB/s depending on the type of storage you have.

Thank you I will do this later on today. Since I have posted this I have done more testing and do not think it is the card but the motherboard PCI lanes (there have been multiple bugs reports about PCI performance).

I updated the Jumbo frames to the max (I believe 16k) and I was getting 800MBS transfer but I still get the scenario above where it stops after a few seconds then gives me an network unavailable error. I have been able to copy files 9gb and less with no issues but when I copy over 9gb this error occurs.

The reason why I believe it is the PCI lane is because I switched cards and put my other NIC card in my new PC and got the same result also if I use the onboard NIC connection (1 GBS) there are no errors.

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Hi vsimone67,

In case it is an issue in the Zenith Extreme, please fill out the this bug report form:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...Wg1cg/viewform

Please include as much info as possible:
e.g.
1. OS versions on the PC and the server
2. Driver versions on the ROG NIC and XG-C100C

Raja
Level 13
vsimone67 wrote:
I am having issues copying large files over my 10g network. My main PC is a new ThreadRipper X399 (ROG ZENITH EXTREME) and the card came with the motherboard is the ROG 10G. I have an Asus 10G switch (XG-U2008) and the server I am copying to has an Asus 10G nic (XG-C100C). Both cables are CAT 6a and the led lights are blue on the switch for the 10G connection.

When I start to copy large files it starts out good, I get 300-500mbs, after a few seconds the transfer speed goes down to 0 and it just sits there for a few minutes then I get an Windows error about the network connection. I ran this several different ways but it seems to point to the card. To eliminate some of the other variables, I then ran the same file copy over the on board Intel Lan of the motherboard and it worked with no issues (just a lot slower).

I have jumbo frames on the NIC 9014, Link Speed 10g (not auto), and receive buffer to max 4096. Are there any settings I need to change?

I notice from your bug report that you've overclocked the system. Can you confirm the issue occurs at stock speeds? Need to know that before I pass this to the replication teams. Load defaults by pressing F5 in UEFI, then save and exit. That will set everything to stock.