cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System clock issue with Strix X299-E (and solution!)

Deus_Maximus
Level 8
So, I had a weird issue with my system today.

This morning, the system clock was out of date by a good hour or so. I forced Windows to sync it's time with the default time server, and it worked for a while and I left to go to work. But when I got home in the evening, the machine was still at the time it was in the morning.

I did various troubleshooting steps, thinking it was a Windows issue, but upon rebooting into the BIOS, I noticed that the system time had completely stopped. I even rebooted and went back into the BIOS a few times to double check that the system time was completely halted, and hadn't budged an inch.

I managed to solve it by Googling and finding a post for a similar issue with the earlier X99 ASUS boards, and the steps on how to sort this issue out so here goes:

• Re-flash the BIOS, even if it's at the current version.
  • Boot into UEFI setup once it's finished re-flashing your BIOS.
  • Hit the case power button on your system, and verify it's off - but LEAVE IT PLUGGED IN AND POWERED AT THE WALL/PSU.
  • Use a flathead screwdriver and hold it over the CLRTC header on the motherboard for 10 seconds.
  • Go back into the UEFI setup and re-apply any non-overclocking related settings you had before (like boot order, setup password or turning off CSM, etc, etc).
  • Bonus reminder: If you enabled and use PTP for things like storing your Windows 10 PIN, remember to switch it back on!
  • Verify that the clock is actually ticking over on the main page of the UEFI setup (hit the cursor left key to go to it from initially entering UEFI setup)

Has anyone else come across this at all?
4 REPLIES 4

cstkl1
Level 7
Whats your cpu, overclock to how much? And whats your mesh clock?

i7 4790k@4.7ghz 1.28v||Asus Maximus VI Extreme||Zotac GTX Titan X Sli||Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400mhz 4x8gb 10-12-12-31-1T||Corsair Neutron GTX 240gb x 2 + Crucial MX100 512gb x 2||Creative Soundblaster Zx||WD Black 2tb & 2x1tb||Ek Supremacy Nickel Acetal+EK M6e Nickel Acetal+EK Titan X Nickel Acetal + Ek Red Backplate+Ek Dual D5 Top & 150 X3 Res+HWLABS GTX Nemesis 560+280+6xNoctua Redux 1500rpm||Corsair AX1200+Corsair Red Sleeves||Silverstone Temjin 11

cstkl1 wrote:
Whats your cpu, overclock to how much? And whats your mesh clock?

Everything was at stock, except for XMP.

Chino wrote:
How long have you been having this problem? I haven't encountered this issue yet.

It only seemed to occur that morning. No idea what triggered it, and I haven't seen it since.

Chino
Level 15
Deus Maximus wrote:
So, I had a weird issue with my system today.

This morning, the system clock was out of date by a good hour or so. I forced Windows to sync it's time with the default time server, and it worked for a while and I left to go to work. But when I got home in the evening, the machine was still at the time it was in the morning.

I did various troubleshooting steps, thinking it was a Windows issue, but upon rebooting into the BIOS, I noticed that the system time had completely stopped. I even rebooted and went back into the BIOS a few times to double check that the system time was completely halted, and hadn't budged an inch.

I managed to solve it by Googling and finding a post for a similar issue with the earlier X99 ASUS boards, and the steps on how to sort this issue out so here goes:

• Re-flash the BIOS, even if it's at the current version.
  • Boot into UEFI setup once it's finished re-flashing your BIOS.
  • Hit the case power button on your system, and verify it's off - but LEAVE IT PLUGGED IN AND POWERED AT THE WALL/PSU.
  • Use a flathead screwdriver and hold it over the CLRTC header on the motherboard for 10 seconds.
  • Go back into the UEFI setup and re-apply any non-overclocking related settings you had before (like boot order, setup password or turning off CSM, etc, etc).
  • Bonus reminder: If you enabled and use PTP for things like storing your Windows 10 PIN, remember to switch it back on!
  • Verify that the clock is actually ticking over on the main page of the UEFI setup (hit the cursor left key to go to it from initially entering UEFI setup)

Has anyone else come across this at all?

How long have you been having this problem? I haven't encountered this issue yet.