cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change the q-code LED color?

ROGevga79
Level 7
I read that you could change the color of the q-code LED on the Maximus 9 Hero? Is this true? If so, how do I do it?
5 REPLIES 5

Nate152
Hi ROGevga79

I have the Maximus IX Code and I don't see anywhere in Aura or the bios to change the q-code color.

Would you have the article where you read this ?

Nate152 wrote:
Hi ROGevga79

I have the Maximus IX Code and I don't see anywhere in Aura or the bios to change the q-code color.

Would you have the article where you read this ?

It says that in this picture.

ROGevga79 wrote:
It says that in this picture.

It means each QLED has a different color for fast identification. So you no longer have to inspect the QLED closely to see which component is at fault. You can identify the problem by the color of the QLED.

I must say that I like this change. 🙂

Korth
Level 14
My M9C board has
- one POWER LED (green) - always lit when the motherboard has power from PSU (even when computer is "OFF")
- one RESET LED (?) - I've never seen it lit (even when pressing/holding RESET button)
- four Q-LEDs - BOOT (green), VGA (white), DRAM (yellow), CPU (red) - only lit during hardware-fault conditions
- one Q-Code display - a 2-digit/8-segment numeric display (red) - always shows a 2-digit hexadecimal code (indicating the mobo is working or has halted)

These are all 2-pin/2-trace monochromatic LEDs (the Q-Code panel is 16-pin/16-trace, functionally eight 2-pin/2-trace LEDs built into one unit).
They are not 3-pin/3-trace RGB LEDs, and (as far as I can determine) they are not connected to any RGB-driving PWM controllers.

Their colours are fixed, they can't be RGB controlled. They also indicate fundamental hardware conditions, I suspect they're "hardwired" directly to the hardware ("under" user-accessible BIOS layer), I doubt they can be dimmed or disabled through firmware.

You could physically mount a colour filter (like a piece of tinted cellophane or other plastic) over the red Q-Code LEDs to change them to an apparently different colour or you could physically mount a nontransmissive screen (like a piece of black electrical tape) over them to mask them out entirely.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth
Level 14
Blame marketing. It looks like "Multicolored" doesn't mean any LEDs with full-spectrum (RGB) capabilities, it means multiple LEDs with different (fixed) colours, lol.

Again, they're monochrome LEDs with exactly 2 pins (and 2 motherboard traces). Multicoloured/RGB LEDs need 3 or more pins (along with 3 or more traces). I'll admit it's possible that I can't see all the pins/leads - and I'm not inclined to de-solder any of my fault status LEDs to examine them more closely - and I'll admit that it's possible the motherboard uses a multi-layer PCB with (for whatever reason) 2 exposed traces and 1 or more hidden traces ... but it seems unlikely.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]