cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G.Skill Trident Z 32GB cold boot problems

St4v0
Level 7
G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 PC4-3200C18 4000MHz

At default spd 2133mhz it runs just fine and starts from cold off and restarts just fine.
However,at anything above that and it will restart fine and bench all the way up to 3200Mhz.
But as soon as you shut it down completely and try and do a coldboot and it will power on for maybe 3 seconds and then shut off completely.
Is this where its failing training? is their a way to disable this?
All I do know for sure is 3200Mhz is 100% prime stable .
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
st4v0
23 REPLIES 23

Mikan02
Level 7
Have you tried the latest bios in the beta UEFI thread sticky and updated the OLED/Aura firmware? 🙂
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?95413-Zenith-Extreme-Beta-UEFI-9960-0601-9910

Also did you use D.O.C.P. or manual set timings?

Im running the latest bios in the beta UEFI thread sticky and updated the OLED/Aura firmware to the latest.
xmp throws this ram all the way up to 4000Mhz which is impossible to even boot.
Ive tried using the xmp timings and voltages at 3200Mhz but with no joy.
3200Mhz is stable from booting from bios or restarting or doing any bench in windows.
but any cold boot and it fails!!

Mikan02
Level 7
Memory syncs up with the North-Bridge, that is why anything above 3200 is kinda difficult to get stable.
I guess some CPU/MB combos where both the CPU and the MB is above average can do 3333 and even 3466,
but I guess luck is more a thing at these speeds.
I think this is a limitation by the chipset, maybe something Asus can look into but I am really not sure if it is
possible or not to unsync the two on first gen Zen or later.

DRAM Voltage on main Extreme Tweaker menu is voltage that gets applied at after memory training if I am not mistaken.
DRAM Voltage in the "External Digi+ Power Control" menu at bottom is voltage that gets applied on memory training/startup.
These two does not need to be same, but the one that gets applied on memory training/startup should not be lower.
It can be higher thou and some memory need that little extra push at start to avoid issues when pushing timings and/or speed.

Both DRAM Current Capability to 130% <-- (important on 32GB kits and up that is at or faster than DDR4-3000 and there is
no point holding back on this setting, just use 130%.) It sets a higher trip point for the DRAM channels VRM.
Both DRAM Power Phase Control to Extreme (just to test if you changed it from default, DRAM Optimized should be fine thou)

SOC voltage is kinda new for me still, and honestly is the one I am most careful with.
I do not trust the Gigabyte TR OC manual saying 1.3-1.35 is ok.
Seen some say max 1.25 is ok on some forums inclduing this one, cause same was used on X370.
I been using AUTO so I guess it is what ASUS thinks is ok for my 32GB kit and
it is close to max voltage recommended by amdmatt for Ryzen 1700X and 1800X
with high memory speeds in a post over at AMD forum.
https://community.amd.com/message/2802656?q=SOC%20voltage

Even thou a 1950X is two 1800X does not mean SOC voltage should higher, if anything slightly
higher for stability on 64GB/128GB high density kits filling all 8 slots.

thanks for your reply,I will try and check all that you have said and retry.
What is your SOC voltage currently,and how much ram is that with?

boys boys*

ON RYZEN ONLY USE DUAL CHANNEL NOT 2*SINGLE

ON THREADRIPPR ONLY USE QUAD CHANNEL NOT 2*DUAL

inside ram,(hardware ,IC and pcb )single,dual,quad not same ,completly diffrante ,, many people think = dual =2*single channel ram or quad =4* dual ram

you must use only ram, write on box QUAD for threadripper (dual for ryzen)

if you put wrong ram your system cant start , even if start , hiccops rip in windows, harm your cpu

in amd thteadripper ,change your ram to this
gskill ri4*8 3200=250$
or
gskil ripjaws4 4*4 2400=150$

www.amazon.com/G-Skill-Ripjaws-2400MHz-PC4-19200-Channel/dp/B00N1OZDPO

for ryzen use only ram write on box DUAL CHANNEL
gskill RGB trident z 3200 2*8 =180$
geil evo x 3200 2*8 =120$

not , only use 2400 or 3200 (best frequency stable) not 3000mhz[
/B]

Mikan02
Level 7
Sorry late answer.
I have a 32GB G.Skill kit @3200 >>24/7 settings at the moment --> manual 14-14-14-14-34 1.35 DRAM Voltage<<
and this sets Auto SOC voltage to 1.09.
So I guess manual would be something between 1.1 and 1.15 ^^
This kinda matches that amdmatt recommended 1.175 for normal Ryzen 1700x/1800x and so on.

Again 8 slots filled with high density needs more most likely.
Maybe some can do manual 1.15-1.175, but I am not sure at all. Never had more than 32GB myself. 🙂

I've tried all that you suggested,no luck so far 😞

gupsterg
Level 13
St4v0 wrote:
But as soon as you shut it down completely and try and do a coldboot and it will power on for maybe 3 seconds and then shut off completely.
Is this where its failing training? is their a way to disable this?

So you remove full power from rig?

If yes and then on when you reapply power and power on rig, on OLED you see codes cycle up to 07 and then it powers off, then after a second or 2 powers on, does cycle of codes on OLED and you have single beep on case speaker, denoting successful post.

This is all normal.

The post up/down and repost occurs on several Asus boards I have used, AMD and Intel, in the case of when power is removed from board. This cycle is needed for correct setup of board.

When memory training fail occurs for me on ZE, I see on OLED "Memory" with code "D0" and a double beep on case speaker.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

this guy is getting the same issue also,only difference is he pressed the retry button and its cycling the fails and he youtubed it.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?95782-Unable-to-post-with-G-Skill-DDR4-3200mhz-Memory-(32G...