View Poll Results: Are you interested in such a PCB?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, ASUS should make this!

11 57.89%
  • Yes, I want this in any way

4 21.05%
  • No

4 21.05%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Added more components to the board. Right now I'm wondering what value a certain resistor should be so I asked it on SO.

Here's the progress. I'm aware it looks very ugly, but it measures through so that's the most important.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180626_183419.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	249.9 KB 
ID:	74447
    Last edited by CX gamer; 06-26-2018 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Fixed image

ROG Enthusiast Array

So I soldered the final components:

Name:	Board.jpg 
Size:	216.5 KB 
ID:	74691

It was definitely an ugly job, stuff isn't very straight and all, but it measures through. Used some hot glue so that the wires wouldn't bend to prevent metal fatigue. Alright time to test this thing! First I had powered it on without anything. Since I didn't smell any burning, I went on and hooked up the components to it, along with the data lines and the power.

Name:	Connected.jpg 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	74690

The connectors were slightly too bulky, so I ended up shaving a bit off. So I turned it on and it worked! Every component is individually lighting up in all of the colors! There was so much that could go wrong, but I punched Murpy right in his face. But then I noticed something was off and went to display only the color red:

Name:	View.jpg 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	74689

Yeah red is green. Looking up the spec confirms my suspicion: ASUS uses GRB and I had built GBR. Slightly upset by this since honestly RGB is a settled standard. This is an issue in the board which I need to correct, and I don't feel like spending the time to solder another one. So I will just swap the wires of the components themselves.

My next step is figuring out how to address them. I'll ask if the SDK team is still working on it, since currently these are not programmable yet. I may end up with an Arduino in my case just for this.

UPDATE: So turns out that the signal for an addressable LED (WS2811B) differs from the IC (WS2811). The signal coming to the IC is RGB, but the WS2811B uses GRB, which is the one coming out of the motherboard. It appears I was wrong in stating RGB was a settled standard. So now that I understand the problem, I'm using twisting and shrink wire to fix it. This also means that I dimmed my green signal instead of the red one, but it seems no problem as the colors are still very vibrant.

I got very lucky that the WS2811 even works with a WS2811B signal.
    Last edited by CX gamer; 07-13-2018 at 06:19 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I updated the board, fixing the previously mentioned problems and also with better documentation on how to create it: https://github.com/CXgamer/Aura-sync-splitter

Also I've tried to contact ASUS on fixing their SDK through various means and seems like there won't ever be a new release unless ASUS decides to suddenly make RGB RAM or addressable RGB strips. There has been work done on reverse engineering the protocol, but the conclusion may be that it requires new firmware.

Unfortunately, I think I'll just use an Arduino for my board and leave the LED's of my high-end motherboard and RAM disabled. It's not useful to downgrade my application to 32 bits for just the few RGB leds of the motherboard itself. Screw the SDK, we will see who will be the one who is outshined :/.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3