View Poll Results: Are you interested in such a PCB?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, ASUS should make this!

11 57.89%
  • Yes, I want this in any way

4 21.05%
  • No

4 21.05%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    Latency? Response? we are talking about RGB lighting?
    I was talking about communication from the motherboard to the RPi. That would add at least some latency. And I want to have my API calls to be as instantaneous as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    I still dont see how you will control these individually by feeding a data line into a driver with no decoder.
    Yeah I think we misunderstand each other here a bit. When I was saying I want to control the components individually, I meant that each component needs to be controlled separate from each other. The component itself doesn't have addressable RGB, they just use the 12V aura header. If I want addressable still, I can just chain it to this board. I'll know that the first 6 "LED's" will me my fans, the next one the reservoir, etc. All the rest after that may be a RGB LED strip if I'll be going for that.

This is how it works, right? Or I am thoroughly misunderstanding what the WS2811 does.

EDIT: Updated my design according to feedback of the electronics forum. Also turns out that the IC's are half the size of what I had, so the design has quite a bit since:

EDIT2: Yeah turns out a wire of millemeter won't take 11 amps. xD

This and the previous circuit update were the result of kellys_eye's amazing feedback, thank you!
    Last edited by CX gamer; 11-14-2017 at 08:15 PM.

New ROGer Array

i want one!

I'm no expert at electronics, but having read through this thread, I'm quite interested in such a device!

ROG Enthusiast Array

Hey bboy, thanks for showing interest. I've just built my computer and it runs, so I'll be etching my circuit in the coming weeks. I was first planning to let the PCB be manufactured, but 100 euros for a prototype which will most likely fail is a bit too steep of a price for me. So I'll be attempting to do it myself. Any progress that is made towards it will be posted here in this very thread.

New ROGer Array Altyn10000 PC Specs
    Altyn10000 PC Specs
    MotherboardCrosshair VI Hero
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 1700
    Memory (part number)G.Skill 3200-C14-32GVR
    CaseCM HAF932

Hi, you can order pcb from allpcb, easyeda, elecrow and etc. Unless size smaller than 100mm x 100 mm, price will be affordable. less than 20$ for 5pcs.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Hey man those are some awesome sites. I've been convinced to etch my prototype first. For that I've ordered some bigger (DIP8) IC's so that it's easier to work with. Once the prototype is working, I'll order some proper PCB's and start distributing them to the kind people of this thread.

New ROGer Array rhinitis PC Specs
    rhinitis PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Lenovo Y50
    MotherboardAsus Prime x370-Pro
    ProcessorRyzen 7 1700
    Memory (part number)Corsair Vengeance LPX(CMK16GX4M2B3000C15)
    Graphics Card #1Zotac 980 ti Amp Extreme
    MonitorLG 34" Ultra Wide, HP Omen 32"
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Evo
    Storage #2Kingston SSDNow 300, WD Blue
    CPU CoolerDEEPCOOL Liquid CPU Cooler RGB
    CaseCorsair Carbide Series Air 540
    Power SupplyCooler Master V1000
    Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70
    Mouse Logitech M570
    Headset Audio-Technica
    Headset/Speakers Logitech
    OS Windows 10
    Network RouterNetgear

This would be awesome. I would buy one.

New ROGer Array

I've been looking into a similar solution, but for a slightly different reason.

I'm building a system based on the Z370-I, which has no regular 4-pin RGB ports, which I need to sync my case's RGBs. So I found out about the WS2811 and I'm waiting for some components to build a circuit that would allow 3-pin addressable RGB input, Molex in (for the 12V), one 4-pin output for my case's RGB and a 3-pin addressable RGB out, in case I eventually want to add some addressable RGB's.

CX, I'm wondering how did it go with your circuit?

ROG Enthusiast Array

Hey yeah, I think this will definitely help your cause!

Turns out the crappy program I was using didn't compile to gerber files, which are needed if I was to send the board for manufacturing. So I learned another program called 'Eagle', and this did the job properly:

This program even has board generation to some extend, but I ended up doing it manually anyway. The boards (10) are already manufactured and on their way towards here. And then comes the soldering challenge. Looking forwards to it.

I've also decided to open source the project. People are then able to access the gerber and drill files without the need for Eagle:

https://github.com/CXgamer/Aura-sync-splitter
    Last edited by CX gamer; 06-26-2018 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Fixed images to not use the attachment system

ROG Enthusiast Array

The boards arrived in the mail yesterday! There's 10 of these. So excited!

So aside from the diagonal resistors (which are variable), I have all the components I need now! I layed the IC over the board to make sure it was the right size, and it was! Spent 2 minutes dancing afterwards.

Hot glue was used to attach the board to the cardboard to reduce slippage. A regular multi-meter will tell me if I soldered correctly.

Still, some plastic was molten, because I am an amateur. Hope this doesn't destroy its inner workings because I would only know far into the future if it would.

And then it was time go jump into the bed. More soldering tomorrow and probably some days beyond that.
    Last edited by CX gamer; 06-12-2018 at 05:27 AM.

New ROGer Array

So glad I found this!

I just made a build with asus z370-i as well and had no clue that it even existed a new standard of LED header so natuarally all my components are 4 pins. Would love to try this myself. But recently moved so would have to get the tools first

Will follow your progress with great interest!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast