cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage VI Apex Intel Network interface issue

SGMRock
Level 9
Just got my new RVI Apex yesterday and I9-7900, everything is all put together and even managed to get my Windows 10 reactivated though I had to reload the OS to do that.

I was downloading stuff to reload my system and noticed a huge issue with my download speeds. I have a 1Gig Verizon FIOS into my house and normally fly on downloads. But for some reason I was only getting in the 10-20Mpbs range instead of where I should be in the 900s. This was only affecting downloads, nothing was wrong with upload speeds when testing on speedtest.net. I spent a lot of time messing with drivers to no avail. Then I thought maybe its something in BIOS though that seemed odd if it was. All I had done with in setup was load XMP settings and a few other things in BIOS before I loaded my OS, disabled a few external devices I didn't play to use like WiFi, Bluetooth for now, the ASmedia front C controller since I don't have one in my case, the ASmedia SATA controller as I have enough Intel ports for the drives I have and lastly the Sound card as I'm using a Soundblaster AE-5.

I loaded default settings and turned off all the stuff I wasn't using again, this time I didn't change anything else. Test speeds, all back to normal. So I went back into BIOS and loaded XMP settings again, went back into Windows and download speeds are in the dirt again 10-20Mbps range. So I'm stumped, what in XMP profile could possibly lower my download speed on my NIC?? This was all with 0702 version. Am I drawing too much power somewhere? I have both 8 pin CPU jacks plugged in and the EZ-Plug as well is plugged in. I have a P2 1200 EVGA PS, granted I'm running 2 Fury X cards but this same PS did that before in my RE5 with the 5960X overlocked to 4.2 most of the time.

Going to try the new BIOS I see posted but if anyone has any thoughts let me know.
Asus ROG Rampage VI Apex 2002 BIOS / Intel i9-7900X / G.Skill TridentZ RBG F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 17-17-17-37
LG 38" 38GL950G-B Ultrawide / EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid/ Sound Blaster AE-5
Corsair H115i Pro CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2 / Corsair Arctic White T780 Case
22 REPLIES 22

SGMRock
Level 9
Tried the new BIOS 0802 same result. If I set XMP my download speed goes down to around 20Mbps. Go back to Auto and back to normal. Was able to do it several times now to make sure I wasn't nuts. No idea what would be causing that. Anyone have one of these boards they could test if they get same result?
Asus ROG Rampage VI Apex 2002 BIOS / Intel i9-7900X / G.Skill TridentZ RBG F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 17-17-17-37
LG 38" 38GL950G-B Ultrawide / EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid/ Sound Blaster AE-5
Corsair H115i Pro CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2 / Corsair Arctic White T780 Case

SGMRock
Level 9
So I figured this out. Thought I would share for anyone who cares. With the RAM I have the G.Skill TridentZ RBG F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR the XMP setting sets the BCLK to 101.8. It seems that messes with the Intel onboard NIC. I causes the download throughput of the NIC to drop to about 1-5% of the a Gbit throughput. So basically you end up with downloads of around 10-40MB max out of a Gig. When you set the BCLK back to 100.00 the NIC works normally and you get the full speeds. So basically right now I loaded XMP settings but then changed the BCLK from 101.8 back to 100.00 to get the Intel onboard NIC to work right. I'm not sure if there are other settings it will work fine yet as I have not tested. I plan to try mess around some more and see whats up.

SGMRock wrote:
So I figured this out. Thought I would share for anyone who cares. With the RAM I have the G.Skill TridentZ RBG F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR the XMP setting sets the BCLK to 101.8. It seems that messes with the Intel onboard NIC. I causes the download throughput of the NIC to drop to about 1-5% of the a Gbit throughput. So basically you end up with downloads of around 10-40MB max out of a Gig. When you set the BCLK back to 100.00 the NIC works normally and you get the full speeds. So basically right now I loaded XMP settings but then changed the BCLK from 101.8 back to 100.00 to get the Intel onboard NIC to work right. I'm not sure if there are other settings it will work fine yet as I have not tested. I plan to try mess around some more and see whats up.

I had same issue and then updated the network drivers. *All good now. *Overclocked and download speed. *

SGMRock wrote:

Hello, sorry because this topic is a bit old but it's very interesting. Recently I have buy a new machine with Rampage VI Apex, 7820x and G.Skill TridentZ RBG F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR (like you). Where I live, I have 300/300 MB with Movistar, wired conexion and a Mikrotik router. I'm not doing benchmarks all days, I configured the Mikrotik in the past, I get nearly 300 MB and till today.

This weekend, I have lost hours and hours of my time reconfiguring Mikrotik becaus I can't get more than 40/50 MB in download and 200 in upload. I assumed that the problem was on hardware (recently Mikrotik has updated some features of his routers and I assume that was the problem wiht my RB493G).

Today, because I'm migrating data and software from "old" machine to new machine I'm using "old" machine (ASUS Prime X299-A with 7900X and old 16 Gb RAM) i tried by casuality the newtork benchmark and I get 290/290 Mb without changing nothing on Mikrotik so, obviously the problem is in the Intel network adapter of the R6A.

Reading your comments, I also realised that the XMP change the block to 101.6 instead the 100 normal but I didn't change this value at all. Now I don't have connected the new machine to the monitor and devices, but I will try what you say next days.

Did you find any solution without changing the 101,6 value? I have latest drivers installed and I really don't understand how a RAM can affect to a network adapter, it's incredible!!

Thanks for your post and ideas!

I can confirm that changing the RAM to 100 instead the 101.8 default from XMP profile, the network works better.

I have try my new machine, with XMP at 101.8 and no more 40 MB at downloading before reinstalling the Intel network driver. I shut down the PC, change the value of the RAM to 100, entering in Windows, try a speed benchmark and downloading 250 MB and uploading the same.

I don't understand nothing!!

Brighttail
Level 11
Don't suppose any of you have gamefirst loaded. I have had issues of that effecting internet speeds for 6 years. NEVER FIXED. uninstall it and try again.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

Korth
Level 14
I'm a little confused by your wording above. You ran Speedtest (while all other network traffic was halted/suspended, of course), what upload and download speeds did it report?

I'm assuming you're using wired LAN, not wireless. I'm assuming you've disabled anything like GameFirst you might have running. I'm assuming you've monitored network performances in Task Monitor. I'm assuming your system is clean (no malware/spyware/etc running in background which could hog network resources). I'm assuming your gateway/router doesn't share this bandwidth with other people/devices.

Verizon Fios Gigabit Internet advertises "up to 940 Mbps download and 880 Mbps upload". But a quick google results in many pages of customer complaints. It seems quite a lot of people are very unhappy with their (slow) download speeds.
Solution: contact Verizon and complain about poor service.

Another common complaint is that Verizon is one of those evil ISPs which actively dislikes (and punitively degrades/disrupts) P2P traffic congestion across their network. They impose bandwidth caps and lower priorities (greater latencies) and slowdowns and other limits on offenders. If you torrent then you may have had your service "downgraded".
Solution (if you run torrents): stop all P2P for a while (hours, days, weeks), subscribe to a VPN service (preferably one with encryption which defeats Deep Packet Inspection) before resuming.

Your network adapter or gateway/router may be suboptimally configured.
Solutions:
- reset your FiOS Quantum Gateway Router
- "get the Fastest FiOS speed"
- tweak your Advanced network adapter settings (force gigabit mode, increase Rx buffers/caches, increase packet frame sizes, etc)
- completely uninstall the network driver, restart, reinstall, restart again; you may need to restart-restart for changes to persist in Windows, you should be prepared with a downloaded copy of the driver saved locally (because while it's uninstalled you can't get online to download it, lol).

None of these things is really affected by XMP settings. Which is to say that a memory (mis)configuration would impact the system in far more unambiguous and immediately noticeable ways than the performance metrics of one specific (and secondary) hardware component. Probably best to just put your memory settings back where they started, fix problems before causing other problems.

If you can, take your computer to a friend's place or work place, try measuring performance of speedtest or downloads across their ISP instead of your own.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

@Korth I didn't see you had responded to this a while back, thanks for the response, let me answer your questions. I actually work in IT and work on network and server equipment. I spend a lot of my work day troubleshooting network issues in a complex MPLS WAN environment for a large company. I appreciate all of the above information but I can assure you it wasn't my ISP, or router. Not even using Verizon's router, I use an Asus RT-AC3100 its connected to my FIOS device via CAT6 Ethernet. I was testing speeds on my laptop sitting next to me, both connected via Gbit Ethernet CAT 6 rated cables.

I was seeing normal everyday tested speeds on my laptop that I always see with my 1Gig FIOS connection and the Apex board was having the download issue. I replicated this several times by changing the BLCK to the XMP BLCK speed of 101.8 and then back to 100.00. Every time this would kill my download speeds both seen in task manager performance tab and with speedtest.net over internet traffic. While seeing normal 800-900Mbps downloads doing the same test on my laptop and my older Rampage V Extreme system on same network, on the Apex board I was getting 20-30Mbps when my BLCK was set to 101.8. If I changed the Apex boards BLCK to 100.00 I would get normal 800-900Mpbs over same test on speedtest.net. To rule out any ISP issues I also transferred large files over internal LAN from the laptop to the Apex machine and saw the same issue there. I went through a lot of driver reloads and so on to rule that out as well the only thing I could find causing the problem was the BLCK frequency. Unfortunately I don't have any PCIe network cards laying around or I would have tried one of those as well to see if it was just the Intel NIC. I could test WiFi I suppose but at that point I was tired of messing with it and found a perfectly good work around just manually OC everything and setting my RAM to 3800 and 100 BLCK, I could also lower the timings on this RAM I have from 18-19-19-39 to 17-17-17-37 by running it at 3800 instead of 3866 so it was actually fine.

All of the above testing was being done while network was not being used by anyone else in the house, network load on the router was almost zero. I never use the Gamefirst software and never even installed it, I only install Intel's driver package which I was using the latest Intel Pro set drivers 22.6.6.0. Maybe next BIOS update I will mess with it again and also test the Apex boards WiFi. Normally I just disable WiFi as I always hard wire my desktops and only use WiFi for laptops and handheld devices.

FireRx
Level 11
I showing a network controller issue in mine on other devices. can't for the life up me find with the conflict is. I shows up in device manager but everything seems to be working. 🙂

Update: Figured it out. is I was using the beta WiFi drivers on the download page. you have to install the non beta one first. 🙂

All good at 4.5ghz at 1.20v
Intel Core i9 103900KS
Asus Maximus Z790 Extreme [bios 1801]
LG (34U97-s) Monitor 3440 x1440
Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Windows 11 Pro
64gbz Memory