cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

surprisingly low 3d mark performance score on GL502VS i7 Q6700/GTX 1070

rolllooo
Level 7
Hi, I've bought Asus's GL502VS laptop i7 Q6700/GTX 1070 a couple weeks ago. Yesterday I tested it with 3DMark 11 Performance. The score was 14096 overall/ 21188 for a graphic/7172 physics https://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/12382065. I tested it again with various setting (programs shut down, maximiliation of system efficiency) and the score is still oscilating around same mark. According to Asus's market informations and many reviews this laptop shuld have at last 15600 scores in this test. Is there something wrong with the hardware? At this moment I have the newest drivers for video card.

Best Regards
Marek Romanowski
8 REPLIES 8

FastM
Level 8
We'll need more info

max reported CPU and GPU temps,

use GPU-Z to log GPU core speeds..

just curious, whats your firestrike score?

Hi, thanks for rply. During 3D mark 11 performance test my GPU had 81 C. and CPU 82 C. as maximum. What is strange without any stress (window's desktop) GPU have constant aprox 60 oC and CPU 50oC. During test processor clock went up to 3,3 Ghz and card to 1620 Mhz maybe more. I proceeded also 3D mark's Time Spy test - my score was 4914. What is strange CPU stop on exactly 3290 Mhz but my GPU according to MSI afterburner reach 1835 (despite of declared 1645 Mhz) The Fire strike isn't free so I don't want to proceed it.

Best Regards

In my experience the GPU starts to throttle around 63c. So around 75-80c your definitely missing on performance.

the CPU will usually run full speed until 99c but we don't really want our CPU's running that hot.

Bottom line is your going to have to do some undervolting to get the most out of this laptop. I don't think anything is wrong with your system, just that Asus made a system that can't handle the heat generated by these GPU's

Do some more benchmarks using intel XTU and GPU-Z to log, intel's XTU will tell you in the CPU is being throttled.

GPU-Z will give you a nice graph of how much your GPU MHz is jumping around.

As you can in my results below the cpu never gets over 75c (-110mV undervolt) and the GPU stays around the 1771-1784mhz with a max of 63c. I have also my fans boosted to 50% in ROG Gaming Center.

I have another thread about undervolting the 1070 with the curve I'm using.

I,ve loaded fire strike- the temperature of GPU settled on 80o C but CPU had avarge 85, some cores even 90 as maximum. The score was 11663. Can you guide me how to undervoltage CPU. Do you did something with GPU or only undervoltage CPU? Ps. My ROG gaming center is probably some kind of limited version- i don't have fan setting 😞

At this moment I wonder if 502vs's benchmarks- magazine reviews, users tests, producer market data etc. show approx 15800 in 3d mark 11 performance test score without undervolting (stock configuration) so why my unit have problem? I suppose that with undervoltage the score should be similar to your.

FastM
Level 8
There are plenty of guides in this forum.

I learnt 1st by following this one

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?89061-GL702VM-amp-similar-Solution-to-Performance-issues-O...

Then I've fine tuned my GPU curve in Afterburner and posted my current settings here

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?96013-GL702VS-GTX1070-Undervolting-for-Performance

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Hi rolllooo,
Out of curiosity, have you tried using a notebook cooler to see if the benchmark score is any different?

Hi, it is some idea but I suppose that this time it isn't so important. At this moment, in Warsaw is about 10 C deegres, in my house aprox 19oC. I heard that netbook cooler can drop temperature a few degrees. During 3D mark 11 test CPU and GPU reach 80 degrees. During Witcher 2 (it is game from 2012) after couple of minutes laptop stop on 80 degrees (with ultra settings without ubering the usage of CPU and GPU reach approx 50%). Do you thing that any other testers carry out test with netbook cooler? Can anyone tell me what is his score without and with laptop cooler for this specification (GTX 1070 and i7 6700?)

Best regards

Hi I've tried undervolting both CPU and GPU. The first one with your curve and CPU with offset of -0,100 mV. During firestrike my teperatures reach max 79 degees for GPU (constant temperature is 76) but for CPU was 81 max (for single core but rest have 73-76) and avarge 74 (earlier GPU reach 85 degrees and CPU 90 degrees). These max temperatures was for maybe a second or two. In my house is 24 degrees now (my wife like great temperatures- YFUD) so for me this effects are quite nice. What is interesting now- according to afterburner I have stable 1784 Mhz for GPU and stable 3,2 Ghz CPU for all cores- in my definition temeperature throtling not occurs at this moment but overal score of fires strike is 12500, time spy is 4950- as same as before so I don't resolve efficiency issue.

1) Is the GPU Z show a throtling effect as a percentage during testing?- if not what program do?

2) what is the maximum RPM for fans in 502vs? I,ve noticed that during firestrike fans reach max 3200 RPM (laptop isn't very loud)- maybe system allow to limit fan speed until laptop not exceed some temperature point?

3) Unfortunatelly my ASUS gaming center for 502 vs don't have fan boost mode (mine is limited only to basic statistics, gaming profile and memory administration). Is there possibility to install other gaming center in order to administrate a fan speed?

4) Next issue is that my processor all the time works on boost mode- during idle and during load. I can turn off boost pernamently or turn it on pernamently- but it don't act automatically- boost processor when it is necessary - is it normal?

5) I ve seen a youtube movie where guy played witcher 3 the wild hunt on battery without any excusses (on 502vs). I load witcher 2 and according to afterburner I have same frequency of GPU and CPU as during plugged feeder cable but FPS drop noticeably- it can be seen without any tests. WTF?
Of course when plugged everything is normal.