cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JY-DH71 HDD Drive to SSD Upgrade Help

Spartan75
Level 7
Hello all,

I have been trying to figure this out but this world is still a little Greek to me and I am trying to find an exact answer so I do not purchase the wrong SSD. Please forgive me if this has been beaten to death, but I am still making sense of all this!

I am wanting to upgrade my 1tb HDD to a 1tb 2.5 Samsung Evo SSD and keep my original SSD for my OS, etc. The slot that the HDD is in is on the right side of the computer when flipped upside down and is in a cage.

Can someone help me that has done this upgrade and post what they have bought to replace this drive? I have seen several threads replacing the stock SSD but I cant find a specific answer regarding keeping the stock SSD in the 0 Slot and replacing the HDD to a SSD.

I am at work currently but if pictures or screenshots are needes I can post them this evening when I get home!

Again please forgive me if this has been beaten to death, and if you know of a thread please direct me to it! I am really just looking for an exact answer
4 REPLIES 4

Clintlgm
Level 14
Simple, since you wanting to use a 2.5 SATA SSD, The only limited factor is Asus Notebooks fit maximum 9.5 MM thickness. Treat it as you would any other hard drive.

Shut down and remove hard drive, install the SSD close up and boot up.

Connect old hard drive VIA USB 3.0 use External Case or SATA/USB.30 adapter
Copy data from old hard drive to new SSD. If you used a External case leave the old hard drive in it for back up and External storage.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Thanks for the reply!

Just to be clear, something like this: www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-75E1T0B-AM/dp/B00OBRFFAS

Should be fairly plug and play? This will be my first time working with this laptop but from the guides online for actually replacing the hardware I am confident I work through it.

I was more worried about getting the wrong type and the computer not recognizing the drive or something like that.

Thanks

Yep no different than any other hard drive in 2.5 format you will notice the ad show the thickness as 7mm well under the 9.5 maximum
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Awesome! Thanks for the reply and peace of mind. I am going to go ahead and order everything today.