cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with Ryzen 7 1800X temps on Crossfire Hero VI using Thermaltake 280mm AIO Cool

jac006
Level 7
Hi all,

First time poster here, but long time computer enthusiast and reader of the Asus forums. I'm 28 but I built my first computer when I was 16. I've been out of the self-building phase for a while but I just built a brand new setup this past weekend and my specs are:

ASUS CROSSHAIR VI HERO (WI-FI AC) AM4 AMD X370 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX AMD Motherboard
Ryzen 7 1800X
G.SKILL Flare X Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 RAM
SAMSUNG 960 PRO M.2 512GB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V6P512BW
CORSAIR RMi Series RM850i
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 HYBRID GAMING Graphics Card
Thermaltake Water 3.0 280 Riing Red Edition PWM AIO Tt LCS Certified Liquid Cooling System CL-W138-PL14RE-A
NZXT H440 STEEL Mid Tower Case

Upon initial build and OS install, I noticed that my CPU temps were hovering around 60C. My BIOS was out of date (v.1201) so I updated using Asus' FlashBIOS utility and updated to the latest 1501 version.

I re-checked my temperatures and the CPU went down a bit, but still hovers around 42C at idle. Is this normal for Ryzen 7? I know they potentially run a little hotter than other CPUs, but idling in the low-to-mid 40s doesn't seem to make much sense given the AIO liquid cooler (http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00003008).

I've checked the fan connections on my motherboard and they are all seated correctly. Here's an image of where I've placed the AIO (pump and fan) connections.

https://i.imgur.com/HuIV7JS.png

I connected both 140mm fans on the cooler to the left two fan headers (CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT) and the pump to the AIO_Pump header on the right.

Is this the correct configuration for my Thermaltake cooler? I would assume that, if my pump wasn't working correctly, that the CPU temps would be much higher than even 60C at idle. However, assuming that my pump is correctly working, I figured I would get idle temps hovering around the high 20s to low 30s. Am I correct in my thinking? Or is there something potentially off with my computer and I need to adjust fan and/or other settings?

Also, as an FYI, my ambient temperature in Boston, MA is around 68F or 20C right now.

Cheers (and thanks in advance for any help),
James
6 REPLIES 6

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi jac006 and Welcome to ROG. 🙂

Temperature readings on the AM4 platform can vary between temperature packages and some read core temps from a Tctl sensor.
With my setup I use HWInfo64 and use the Tdie readout for a more accurate assessment of core temp.

AMD says the primary temperature reporting from a sensor called “T Control,” or Tctl for short is 20C above what it should read and this rings true according to my Temperature probe.
The Tctl sensor is derived from the junction (Tj) temperature—the interface point between the die and heatspreader—but it may be offset on certain CPU models so that all models on the AM4 Platform have the same maximum Tctl value to ensure they have a consistent fan policy.
The Tdie temperature is what you should be looking at so I recommend downloading HWinfo64 to address this issue.

AMD also said they are confident software packages will soon adjust automatically for this offset and report the true temperature when required.

Hope this was of some help 🙂
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

andyliu
Level 9
make sure you have the am4 retention kit from thermaltake. Since it's not mentioned, I assume you dont have it. You should be able to get it for free.
as I posted in different thread
if the pump is running and moving water, well gotta make sure the cooler is making proper contact with CPU.
I will quote from the article http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd...lem,33771.html
We’ve discovered that the backplates provided with some major motherboard brands could come with a screw that is too long. The screws reach their safety stop too soon, leaving the spring with too much headroom, and then the pressure of the sink on the CPU is inadequate.

it's just to make sure the AIO you have does have proper contact on your CPU to remove the heat.

and 42C, is that stock or after OC?

hi, im using a h100i 240mm aio, and have similar readings. 40-50C idle (taken offset in).. read the right temps from hwinfo. everything installed fine. even contacted AMD regarding this, and they said it's normal to idle at these. to me it's not, its too high for my liking, and someone who had an older bios ver had lower temps, but after updating to 1501 his idle went up by 20+/- C...

PeZzy
Level 7
My 1800X with Kraken X62 AIO has a CPU (Tctl) temperature of 46.8-50.9 Celsius while just surfing the web - BIOS 1501. People say Tctl is not an accurate measure, but I use it anyways. Temperature changes between BIOSes are likely just tweaking the readings of the sensors and not changing the actual temperature. I believe there are settings in the BIOS which will allow you to change the offset.

The AGESA bios 1.0.0.6 is probably the best bios to sit on right now. I have bios 1501 but, my temperatures did jump from a 25C idle to a 35C idle and fluxuates from 40-50C while playing black desert. I do believe the bios affects your temperatures or how it reads the temperatures. I also have an 1800x. The initial bios that launched didn't take into consideration the -20C offset the 1800x and 1700x. So your temperatures should be lower. Update your bios.

I had this one thrown at me the other day.

heymattman wrote:
Do you have a X chip like 1700x or 1800x? Then your temps will be reading at a +20 degree than what it is. AMD thought it would be best for the fans to ramp up if you are over-clocking. Its normal if this is the case.

You can adjust this by setting MI SKEW to 272 value.