Hybrid View

New ROGer Array

Unhappy ROG Strix x99 CPU Issue

Hello all!

So, I'm not entirely sure what happened, but there where a few odd thing's happening in the past few months leading up to this.

When rebooting I would occasionally get a "Overclock failed" Message at BIOS. My original overclock (CPU) was around 18%. I had to lower it to 9%.

A while later I started getting this error again, so I set my CPU to default speeds, no overclock.

So now to my current issue, I was browsing the web, and my computer suddenly got a BSOD, the error was something along the lines of "Hardware Failure", I don't remember the exact error. Upon reboot I got the overclock failed message again, but this time there was no overclocking. So I entered bios, set everything to default and rebooted.

The computer booted, but I noticed that my CPU Temp was crazy high. 87c idling in BIOS. Upon entering windows, it shot up to over 100c, and the auto-shutdown kicked in. I turned it back on to try to get some debug info. Now the computer won't enter windows, right before windows fully loads, I get BSOD with what seems like random crashes. It seems to be a different error every time. I believe my water cooler died, so I am replacing that first. However, I'm not sure if some other errors were caused by my not noticing the overheating.

So, I am going to replace the cooler, and try a windows recovery. I figure if that doesn't fix it, it's likely my CPU that's suffered some kind of hardware failure. (sigh..))

If it's not the CPU, I can only imagine it could be a motherboard issue. I haven't downloaded any new drivers, nor installed any new hardware.

Can you guys think of anything else this could be? Is my line of thinking correct? Water Cooler > CPU > Motherboard ?

My Computer Hardware:
    ASUS ROG x99 Gaming Motherboard
    CPU: Intel i7 6800k
    Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2
    GPU: Asus Nvidia 980ti
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15
    Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Zx PCIe
    Hard Drives:
    -- Main Drive: Samsung 960 EVO M.2 250GB
    -- Storage Drive : Samsung 850 EVO 1TB 2.5-Inch SATA III

Moderator Array

Hi there,

First things first, try have a feel on your watercooling and see if it is pumping water through. I have a feeling your water pump is not regulating water.

regards,

New ROGer Array

Ok, I'm back to report the issue, just in case it helps someone else in the future.

The issue was definitely the CPU Cooler. I am not sure what part died, however, I simply replaced the entire unit.

Once the CPU Cooler was replaced, I was having a few issues booting. I had to do a total bios reset to get the computer to boot to bios. (I removed the power cord, and the motherboard watch battery.)

Waited 10 mins to make sure there was no residual power in the capacitors preserving the motherboard data. Then I popped the battery back in, the motherboard did it's reset thing, and my computer booted right up.

Next I entered bios, reset it to default settings (after it detected my CPU), and rebooted. This time windows failed to boot. It was giving me a message about the hard-drive being 'Locked'. I'm not entirely sure what happened here, but I think it had to do with the mobo changing from legacy to UEFI when I did the cmos reset.

Either way to save time I simply deleted the hard-drive partition, remade it, then did a fresh windows install.

Computer is now back to normal, acturally the CPU is running a bit cooler this time than before. I probably did the heatsink compound a bit better this time, and I made sure the CPU Cooler metal plate was firmly attached. It's running at around 28c Idle, 32c during normal use. (browsing web, listening to music, etc), and around 36-38c while gaming.

I did lose some data.. but that's the nature of the beast.. espcially when you just wanna get **** fixed and not fiddle with it forever.

Hope this helps someone.