cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STRIX GL702ZC Discussion (Logo Included)

sooxpix
Level 7
HI Guys
there have been 4 months since the release of the asus GL702ZC. Since then i got in love with that laptop. So i am a mechanical engineer student and i do some cad works and i have some knowledge about heat transfer and thermodynamics . what amazed me is how did the asus engineers manage to dissipate that heat from that Octa-core laptop wich is consedrebly thin compared to the G and GX ROG laptops.
Anyway i fall into love with is so i decided to make a logo For this upcoming AMD platfom laptops.
For years ROG have been an intel based laptops. Now we have seen the over side of the ROG wich is the AMD ROG laptop. based on this idea i made this logo i hope you like it. https://goo.gl/photos/3gbepaPxDAKbRPyE7
7 REPLIES 7

sooxpix
Level 7
cmon guys i want to know your opinion about the first ever amd ryzen based laptop

I got the laptop in question.
I like it indeed.
Have some Windows issues though.
I tried updating the GPU drivers and ended up losing FreeSync. Inside Radeon Settings, it now says that FreeSync is 'not supported' whereas it was with the original driver.

I don't have access to the original driver as Asus never released any product support for this laptop... no drivers, utilities, nothing.

Aside from that, Wattman doesn't exist either (as I wanted to experiment with undervolting the gpu) in Radeon Settings. Didn't see it there with the original or new drivers. This is either an OEM limitation, or the GPU is simply a partly recognized hardware (which would make sense) and AMD needs to release chipset drivers that bring us Wattman and restores FreeSync.

Any Idea on how to bring back FreeSync?
It'd not 'disabled'. its completely greyed out.

Windows gave me some grief installing the Creator fall update. It simply refused (this was after I installed the drivers). I managed to finally install it by using Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant after numerous failed attempts through Windows update.

In order to restore FreeSync, I tried a Factory Reset.. but F9 doesn't work during bootup, so I used an external software to get me to that option.
When I instructed the laptop to do a full Factory Reset (on the C drive), it came to 40% and then reset.
It couldn't proceed.
I tried repeating the process, but then I was told there is no Factory Reset image file.

Sigh.

The only thing I could try is to install previous drivers from AMD's website and see if that makes a difference.
I also restriced FPS on the GPU to 60 FPS and enabled Radeon Chill... but I don't know if they are doing anything.

Apart from that, heat-wise, yes the temperatures are actually reaching about 73-75 degrees C on both CPU and GPU when I was playing Star Trek Online maxed out (which is respectable of course), however, the fans were VERY audible as a result.
They drowned out the sound coming from the laptop to be honest - I used Ryzen Master to undervolt the CPU under load and that seemed to have done the trick in reducing the fan noise somewhat and the temps dropped a bit too.

However, it seems you'd need to use headphones for intensive games, othwerwise, be prepared for fans noise to drown a lot of the things out.

Also, there's a VERY high heat buildup on the front section of the laptop when gaming (above F keys).

I was thinking that temperatures could be reduced reduced (and with them, fan noise too) if we apply our own thermal paste to the GPU and CPU after cleaning out what Asus put there.
OEM's don't seem to have a particularly good track record with thermal paste application, but then again, this is my first all AMD laptop, so I don't know their track record.

Can't help but think AMD and Asus should have done a bit more to make the laptop a bit better in cooling the laptop using better materials and different cooling methods (seeing how having active fans in this day and age seems... archaic... and relatively unpleasant if you're playing intensive games).

Anyway... I apologize if my reply seems a tad 'negative', but I guess these are just some things to get used to and iron out eventually when having such a powerful machine.

No one else?
Come on, is it really possible there's only myself with this laptop?

Looks like Asus updated their product page for this laptop.
Drivers are now up and running.
Managed to re-install original drivers and get back FreeSync.

I also installed the BIOS/UEFI update (Version 300 - as I had 208).
UEFI update went fine... took a bit to do, but was ok.
It says that the UEFI update does 'performance opimizations', but doesn't specifically say what those are or how they differ from the UEFI version that shipped with the laptop.
Apart from that, I tried downloading the WLAN drivers, but the file appears to be broken/non functional. It's just sitting at 0 MB, even though it should be about 32.5MB large.
I sent a message to Asus about it and asked if its possible for them to do some experimenting to lower the fan noise during gaming as the fans do get quite loud.

One other option that popped into my head on how to improve cooling and reduce fan noise would be - replacing the thermal paste of course with either Gelid GC-3 or Liquid Cooling.
I know, I know... you probably void your warranty with that... but as I said, it was only an idea.
To my recollection you CAN or are ALLOWED to open the laptop and upgrade the RAM for example... but you need to take it out if you're going to claim warranty for any repairs that might crop up.

deksman2 wrote:
No one else?
Come on, is it really possible there's only myself with this laptop?

I own it..nought it week and a half ago.

sooxpix wrote:
cmon guys i want to know your opinion about the first ever amd ryzen based laptop

I like it...can't wait to test Resident Evil 2 Remake and Walking dead overkill...they are coming out soon.

sooxpix wrote:

Hi it's me again.
I like it although with certain games like Rome 2 and Attila and Ryse son of Rome and others with similar performance issues...
it all comes down to drivers,optimization and then hacking or changing the internal game system files to make it run,or install the DX support driver for the base game manually....

all in all ,It runs great and other games than some....I am happy with it and not sure if I want to sell it for the next gen in 2020.....
I just recently paid RMA refurbishment repairs replacement cost on 5 parts,Motherboard,Bottom chassis,Top palm rest,Battery and 1TBHDD...

I might sell it depending on the 2nd stimulis amount....
if it 2400 or more per individual,then its on for shopping.