Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown
    Mouse Asus Sica
    Mouse Pad "And God said ... <Maxwell's equations> ... and there was light."
    OS Win 10 x64 Pro
    Accessory #1 Asus USB 3.1 A, StarTech USB 3.1 C PCIe adapters
    Accessory #2 Syba 1394A/B Firewire PCIe adapter PEX30009
    Accessory #3 Asus OC Panel I

Quote Originally Posted by Exposyn View Post
    Don't mean to resurrect an old thread but is there a difference between other OS and windows 10 selection?

Thanks
    Nothing wrong with resurrecting an old thread if it's a good one

That is a good question about a VERY confused section of the R5E motherboard manual, and probably other ASUS manuals too. Selections under the Secure Boot Menu are shown as follows:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Secure Boot Menu OS Type.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	73768

If you select "Windows UEFI Mode" you are enabling Secure Boot for Windows, and the Windows platform key, key echange keys (KEK), Windows signature databases, etc are loaded so that boot device and OS drivers need to have their digital signatures verified for the boot to proceed. Secure Boot is a way of preventing root kit infections. This appears to apply to Windows Secure Boot only, however, I know that Secure Boot is a feature of UEFI that applies to more than just Windows OS, so this option is a little confusing to me.

The other choice "Other OS" has a description that seems really confusing. Selecting "Other OS" will unload the Windows Platform Key and KEK etc. Secure Boot will be disabled, with Platform Key status listed as "unloaded". The "Other OS" option can be used for a UEFI Windows Boot, but without Secure Boot enabled.

So it appears that this motherboard BIOS provides the option to enable Secure Boot for Windows only, but perhaps not as an option for other OS like Linux? I know Secure Boot is designed for more than just Windows, although I believe that MS was a major partner in its development.

I am also using this post to add a little more detail on the EFI partition and boot process than in the earlier thread for anyone interested in this stuff, at least as I understand it.

I am most familiar with Windows with GPT partitioning scheme where the Boot Manager is what UEFI BIOS uses to pass control to the OS loader. This is based on GPT and UEFI standards, so it also specifies how OS other than Windows can boot, such as Linux (which names its boot manager GRUB I think). In a Windows GPT/UEFI installation, the boot devices list should have an entry "Windows Boot Manager".

For many portable (USB or DVD) and non-Windows booting, the Boot Manager would be in the EFI system partition and it would be something like \EFI\BOOT\bootx64.efi, and it would pass control to the OS loader code that is in the OS System partition. The Windows 10 boot manager is \EFI\MICROSOFT\BOOT\bootmgfw.efi and it passes control to the Windows OS loader at C:\WINDOWS\system32\winload.efi. You can see winload.efi in File Explorer, but I believe that bootmgfw.efi is protected and must be accessed through admin rights using a utility such as BCDEDIT (Boot Configuration Data Editor). If in Windows you open up a cmd window or powershell window and type "bcdedit /v" you will see the partitions and files I mentioned. If you type "bcdedit /enum all /v" then you will see more detailed information.
    Last edited by R5Eandme; 05-10-2018 at 02:57 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2