cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which 3D monitor for G53JW-A1?

Retired
Not applicable
I bought the G53JW-A1 specifically for the 3D capabilities. It is on the Nvidia list of recommended models and the Asus site mentions 3D in several places.

I have the Nvidia 3D Vision kit. But:
1. the laptop screen won't display 120Hz
2. there is no Blu-ray player
3. my Samsung 2233RZ monitor won't go into 3D mode from HDMI
4. there is no DVI Dual Link port (which most 3D monitors need)
5. there is no Display Port for a DL adapter

I did manage to get 3DTV Play going at 720p, so it's not completely unable to do 3D. But that's a tiny fraction of what I expected it to be able to do.

I have lots of questions about this, but let's start here: can someone tell me what monitor I can use to see 3D with this laptop?
4 REPLIES 4

Retired
Not applicable
ok so first off, i think you purchased the wrong notebook.

If you want a 3D vision ready notebook you want the G53Jw-3De http://www.asusrog.com/G53Jw-3DE.html
this unit has an embedded emitter and comes with glasses and a 120HZ LCD for you to play 3D games on the notebook.

G53jw-A1 DOES have 3D capabilities but it will only work for LCD or TV that support true 120HZ or that are 3D ready with 1.4HDMI support. you can not use 1.3HDMI input or cable as it does not have enough bandwidth to carry 3D signals.
if you have a A1 it should come with bluray that can play 3D bluray if you have the software that supports it. and again you must have a LCD or 3Dready TV that supports 1.4HDMI

Retired
Not applicable
Hi, Im also in the same position here- I have Samsung 2233rz monitor, which displays 120hz. I have tried a HDMI -> DVI (hdmi 1.4) cable but it still only works in 60hz. This was a crucial point of my purchase here, so I'm a bit worried!
Is there a PC monitor at all that displays 120hz from this laptop?
Thanks

Retired
Not applicable
mortuary, that monitor only support 1.3hdmi input. you need a LCD or TV that supports HDMI 1.4 input. just using a cable will not work.

Retired
Not applicable
@Mortuary As Brian says, the Samsung 2233RZ can't be driven in 3D mode from the G53Jw. I don't know of any monitors that take HDMI 1.4 and even if they did there's not enough bandwidth to transmit 1920x1080 @ 120Hz. You either have to reduce the frame rate or drop to 1280x720. I was able to successfully display 3D movies on a Panasonic 3D TV through HDMI 1.4.

@Brian 1. I really wish Asus had included a DisplayPort option on the G53Jw so that, with an adapter, it could be used with a monitor that supports DVI Dual Link. 2. I really wish Asus would make the specs of the various G53Jw models clearer. It is almost impossible to find out until you buy one what you've really got. An update of this comparison table would be great.

I returned my G53Jw-A1 and replaced it with the G53Jw-3DE, which is awesome, but I wasted an incredible amount of time on the A1 before I realized it was the wrong model.