cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Zenith Extreme wont power up.. Help?

InStY
Level 7
So im new to building computer. Weell almost new to it. I've builded some before but been lucky enough to not have any big problems except the one i have now.

Just got done installing the motherboard and stuff (Specs at the bottom) and for some reason i cant start my computer.
When i first plugged in the power cable and switched on the power button on my psu, the RGB lights on the motherboard turned on (dont know if its supposed to do that).
And the Front power button on my case and the Start button on the motherboard didnt work either (worked on my old components).
Checked the wires for the front power button and everything is correctly connected.

I also started up the psu with the 24pin tool to see if there was any problem with the psu but everything that was connected got power.
The two cpu 8pins was connected to the motherboard when i tested the psu and the rgb lights on the motherboard turned on.
Connected a speaker to the motherboard to see if it was any problems but i cant even get the motherboard to start the rest of the components so no beeping there.
I think its the psu or something that causes the problem but im not an expert so please try to stop me before i buy me a new expensive one.
NEW: after some reading about psu i dont think the problem is the psu... now im lost.

What can be the problem?
If you guys know something then please share. 😮

My specs: (also the specs i used first time i powered it up)
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950x
Asus ROG Zenith Extreme X399
EVGA Geforce GTX Titan X
Corsair Vengeance RGB 16gb*2 3000MHz
EVGA Supernova 850 G2 850w
HyperX 240gb SSD

49 REPLIES 49

vsimone67
Level 7
The lights on the motherboard flashing are normal (you can turn that off in the bios)

A few questions:

1) Did you try to turn the MB on from the on/off switch attached to the board? If it does turn on then you might have got the pin connection backwards on your quick connectors
2) Did you check to see if the 24 pin and two 8 pins are seated properly (I had an issue on one build that all the lights on my rig flashed on/off and he fans turned half a spin, my 24 pin connector was not seated properly

You should also try with different memory setups, meaning, if you have more than 2 dimms, like 4 or 8, try with less, even a single dimm in the appropriate socket. Check the manual for the proper dimm positioning, since you do have to have the dimms in different slots according to your particular memory setup.

If you have PCI-e cards other than de graphics card, also try removing them from the build and leaving it bare minimum and then add one by one.

Mikan02
Level 7
Did you tighten all 3 screws in the CPU load plate properly?
I would look at it again too,the TR4 socket is huge and all 4094 pins need proper contact to CPU
and that require quite some pressure from the load plate.
No need to over-tighten them, just make sure they are all in until it stops like normal. 🙂

Mikan02 wrote:
Did you tighten all 3 screws in the CPU load plate properly?
I would look at it again too,the TR4 socket is huge and all 4094 pins need proper contact to CPU
and that require quite some pressure from the load plate.
No need to over-tighten them

swapped out memory sticks, cleared cmos, held mobo battery out 2 minutes, reseated 24 pin and 2 of 8 pin power plugs 4x- no go . power supply works- this was a ek water kit build & I tested the ek kit for leaks using the power supply, mobo not powered- ps is fine. could only get 1 of the 3 screws on the cpu bracket to lock down using this zenith board. in fact, 2 of the cpu screw were loose when I originally opened the mobo box. there are no beeps, the mobo led does not light; start & rest buttons on mobo and rgb around mobo perimeter light up- but board will not post. Im thinking the 3 screws on the cpu load plate are the problem. by the way, asus support line had to check if the zenith extreme was an asus mobo and the conversation went even less useful from there. 2 minutes later, the asus tech guy said return the board with no useful suggestions and absolutely a waste of our time. Im thinking this asus zenith extreme was rushed to market and is my first asus loose in 18 years of using their many mobos. any suggestion? I hate to remove the water block and disconnect the 15 connections but it will be a long few days. Havent tested a mobo before I put it in the xase in 15 years but I fear Im now in for a rough time.

Korth
Level 14
ASUS/ROG X399 Zenith Extreme motherboard manual.

Reversed wires on the POWER switch won't affect anything, it's just a momentary-contact push button, no diodes, it'll work when wired "backwards". But a miswired or reversed Q-Connector block would be bad, the POWER switch must be properly wired up (RESET switch and LEDs should also be properly connected but they aren't strictly necessary to test boot the system). The Q-Connector block is only a convenience, so you don't have to figure out where all the wires go or reach into awkwardly tiny spaces every time you unplug the board, but it doesn't have to be used and the POWER switch contacts can be plugged directly to the motherboard pins when testing/troubleshooting.

Test if the chassis POWER (and RESET) switches work with a DMM, if you can. Or even use a different (external) switch if necessary. Quickly confirming/denying that it's a bad switch or bad switch wire(s) can save you from hours of frustrated troubleshooting effort, lol, I've wasted time trying to troubleshoot faults on motherboard while assuming a high-quality chassis had high-quality electrical before (and, it turns out, sometimes the chassis electrical is cheap and shoddy, lol).

Are any of the four Q-LEDs (near the memory slots) lit up when you power the system ON? If so, they're indicating common critical hardware faults: CPU (red), DRAM (green), VGA (white), BOOT (yellow).

The CPU_READY LED (between CPU socket and adjacent PCIe slot) should be lit green if CPU is ready to boot. If it's unlit or lit red there's a problem. I'm guessing this is the advanced new version of the traditional old green LED which indicated motherboard is receiving (standby) power.

The HD_LED (near the SATA ports) indicates hard drive activity. Unlit when no drive connected or drive is inactive. I'm unsure if it works with SSDs, lol.

Strip the system down to essential hardware - PSU, motherboard, CPU (and CPU cooler, with TIM grease/paste between them!), fans/pump (if needed for CPU cooling), RAM (in slots DIMM_A1 and DIMM_C1), GPU card (in slot PCIEX16_1), boot drive (in SATA6G_1), keyboard and mouse (in Rear I/O USB ports, preferably keyboard in "U31G1_1" and mouse in "U31G1_2", the upper/lower couple of "black" USB3 ports slightly to the right of center) - remove all other hardware (unplug audio, unplug front panel connectors, remove all other drives and USB devices, network hardware, TPM module, ROG_EXT device, etc) until you know the important stuff all works. Overkill but methodical, and it only takes moments.

Ensure the "RSVD" switch if OFF, the "PCIEX16_SW" switch is ON for slot 1 (ON/OFF shouldn't matter for slots 2/3/4 when unpopulated), the "LN2_MODE" jumper is disabled (bridging pins 1 and 2, not 3). 24-pin EATXPWR and both 8-pin EATX12V from PSU must be plugged into motherboard (and 6-pin and 8-pin PCIE12V from PSU must be plugged into your Titan X) or it won't boot. Ensure the DDR4 DIMMs and GPU card are firmly seated.

I assume your CPU (and CPU cooler) is properly installed. Hopefully no bent pins or uneven mounting or whatever.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:

The CPU_READY LED (between CPU socket and adjacent PCIe slot) should be lit green if CPU is ready to boot. If it's unlit or lit red there's a problem. I'm guessing this is the advanced new version of the traditional old green LED which indicated motherboard is receiving (standby) power.

My CPU_READY LED does nothing, like there is no power to it. It just never worked, from day one. My computer boots just fine though, even though the CPU_READY LED never comes on, whether the power is on, off, computer powered off, sleeping or active.
As per https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?96446-Strange-issue-with-memory this also happens to at least one other person (the OP of my linked thread).

Anyone from ASUS can confirm whether this is normal or not that the CPU_READY LED never lights up on this board?
(Also note the manual refers to it as "CPU_READY" but on the motherboard it is labeled "CPU_STATUS".)

WiFivomFranMan
Level 7
InStY wrote:
So im new to building computer. Weell almost new to it. I've builded some before but been lucky enough to not have any big problems except the one i have now.

Just got done installing the motherboard and stuff (Specs at the bottom) and for some reason i cant start my computer.
When i first plugged in the power cable and switched on the power button on my psu, the RGB lights on the motherboard turned on (dont know if its supposed to do that).
And the Front power button on my case and the Start button on the motherboard didnt work either (worked on my old components).
Checked the wires for the front power button and everything is correctly connected.

I also started up the psu with the 24pin tool to see if there was any problem with the psu but everything that was connected got power.
The two cpu 8pins was connected to the motherboard when i tested the psu and the rgb lights on the motherboard turned on.
Connected a speaker to the motherboard to see if it was any problems but i cant even get the motherboard to start the rest of the components so no beeping there.
I think its the psu or something that causes the problem but im not an expert so please try to stop me before i buy me a new expensive one.
NEW: after some reading about psu i dont think the problem is the psu... now im lost.

What can be the problem?
If you guys know something then please share. 😮

My specs: (also the specs i used first time i powered it up)
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950x
Asus ROG Zenith Extreme X399
EVGA Geforce GTX Titan X
Corsair Vengeance RGB 16gb*2 3000MHz
EVGA Supernova 850 G2 850w
HyperX 240gb SSD

If you have a pci-e power supply going in to the second motherboard plug it won't boot. You can run just one power supply line to the motherboard and it will boot.

IM3CPO
Level 7
Remove all add in cards (Video, etc), remove the memory, and disconnect everything from the motherboard except the for power. Your system should just have the motherboard (with internal speaker attached), CPU, and power supply. Turn on the computer now. If everything is OK, it should power on and give you a beep code. If it still doesnt power on, then check to make sure the 24 pin and 8 pin CPU power connectors are fully seated to the motherboard. If everything is connected and you still get no beeps, you most likely have to re-seat the CPU. Threadripper CPUs install different than every other type of CPU out there. Here is a video of the process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUOZE0N5WE8

The guy is kinda ghetto, but he also destroys stuff by not installing things correctly, so he points things out from personal experience so other can learn from his mistakes. Make sure you follow everything he does in the video....

While you have the CPU out, take a look at the socket on the motherboard to make sure nothing got bent from your previous installation. If it looks OK, re-install the CPU per the video's instructions and try the initial scenario again (motherboard with speaker, power, and CPU installed- then turn on and listen for beep codes). If you still dont get beeps, then you either have a bad motherboard or CPU. You "could" have a bad power supply but that is highly, highly unlikely.

IM3CPO wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUOZE0N5WE8

That video is so funny. I WISH screw #1 was that easy to tighten. Holy cow.