cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NVMe not detected G752VS again

Darnassus
Status Under Review
So I did an update, though as Windows was trying to restart my computer, I remembered I hadn't saved a document. So I clicked cancel, saved, then continued the restarting of my computer.

Upon booting, I went straight to BIOS. This happened to me before, but it was so severe, nothing I could do would make the laptop see the NVMe so I had to return it and get a replacement under 30 days warranty.

After two reboots, it'd take me to my desktop, everything was fine.. but now I'm afraid of rebooting again.

Why is this happening?

I wish they just kept the damn slot as a SATA for a 2.5" SSD.. or used SATA NVMes..

This decision of using PCIe NVMe's and not making them natively supported by the Motherboard was a real blind walk into the mine field..
6 REPLIES 6

Clintlgm
Level 14
The reason is NVME is about 6 times faster than SATA
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Clintlgm wrote:
The reason is NVME is about 6 times faster than SATA

Yeah I'm aware of that.. but is it worth it when it's not natively supported / reliable? :f

Not only that, 6x on paper, in real use I doubt it'd be that vast compared to the traditional SATA SSD.

Edit: Looks like it's soooo fast... Crystal Disk can't see it... lawwwl. ;f

Well it is to me, like I said I have restored Disk/SSD Images with out issues, These are gaming notebooks bleeding edge sort of stuff.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Darnassus wrote:
So I did an update, though as Windows was trying to restart my computer, I remembered I hadn't saved a document. So I clicked cancel, saved, then continued the restarting of my computer.

Upon booting, I went straight to BIOS. This happened to me before, but it was so severe, nothing I could do would make the laptop see the NVMe so I had to return it and get a replacement under 30 days warranty.

After two reboots, it'd take me to my desktop, everything was fine.. but now I'm afraid of rebooting again.

Haven't seen many posts about this, so wondering if you may want to try a different NVME drive if you have been using the same one just to make sure it's not related to the actual drive?

Don't suppose you have another drive lying around that you can try?

Just an idea anyway.

Checking for firmware updates or bios updates if you don't have the latest version might be other things to consider as well.

Darnassus
Status Under Review
cl-Albert wrote:
Haven't seen many posts about this, so wondering if you may want to try a different NVME drive if you have been using the same one just to make sure it's not related to the actual drive?

Don't suppose you have another drive lying around that you can try?

Just an idea anyway.

Checking for firmware updates or bios updates if you don't have the latest version might be other things to consider as well.

When I first got the Laptop, I did a simple reinstall of Windows, though had a Keyboard issue, so I sent it away. Windows 10 turned the machine on during transit and it must've cooked itself, or the tech guys did something, unsure..... but NVMe wouldn't show up anymore, no matter what I did.

I replaced the laptop entirely, I did an update with Windows and it took me straight to BIOS again, as if I had the same issue, though luckily wasn't permanent.

I don't know, there needs to be a BIOS update or something that makes the NVMe's show up without the need of a custom driver to be preloaded by the user.. :f

I'm just takin a shot in the dark but have you tried changing any of the policy settings under Enhanced Storage Access ? With the Local Group Policy Editor ?