Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array jab383 PC Specs
    jab383 PC Specs
    Motherboard24/7 rig : Maximus VI Extreme
    Processori7 4790K
    Memory (part number)16GB Mushkin Redline 2400 10-12-12-28 + 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 10-12-12-31
    Graphics Card #1AMD Firepro W5000
    Sound CardM6E Supreme FX
    MonitorDell U2413
    Storage #1Kingston SH103S3240G SSD
    Storage #2Seagate ST1000DM003 1TB
    CPU CoolerCustom water loop, Delidded, Liquid Metal TIM
    CaseCoolerMaster HAF XM
    Power SupplyCorsair HX-750
    Keyboard Logitech G710+
    Mouse Logitech M705
    OS Windows 7 64 Pro

The following are my opinions and others are sure to disagree. I dislike toasting my CPUs for hours trying to test stability. I fry them enough pushing benchmarks for HWBOT. There are a few rather quick tests that cover the bases very well.

Aida64 is not stringent enough to exercise a CPU to the point of instabilty. It's a great monitor program - temperatures, voltages, clocks etc. - and does the best job I know of measuring memory bandwidth and latency. In stability testing and pushed benchmarking, WATCH THOSE TEMPERATURES. Aida64 is just the tool for that with its time plot.

OCCT is best for core integer performance. I find that running 5 minutes of OCCT large data set is adequate to show stability. I get no errors or crashes in any integer work using a profile that passes OCCT.

y-Cruncher http://www.numberworld.org/y-cruncher/ is a relatively new benchmark that is heavily into AVX instructions. The latest version includes AVX512 if you have one of the latest CPUs and are running in Windows 10. y-Cruncher PI-1b takes 30 seconds to 3 minutes depending mainly on the number of cores active. Starting with a known good, stable DRAM profile (eg. the default in BIOS), run the PI-1b benchmark in y-Cruncher. That will show stability of AVX instructions in the CPU profile you are checking. The difference in best clock speeds at a fixed voltage between integers in OCCT and AVX in y-Cruncher is a great way to find out how much AVX backoff to set in BIOS.

I exclusively use y-Cruncher for checking DRAM profiles. With a known stable CPU profile, run a trial DRAM setup in the PI-1b benchmark of y-Cruncher. If it passes that, it will be stable for any other benchmark, game or workload. The benchmark score is also a good indication of memory performance. Just watch the time go down as you improve DRAM timing.

Putting a CPU through hours of Prime95 is all torture and no test. You don't need hours and y-Cruncher makes no more heat in the CPU than Prime95. OCCT makes even less heat. The big difference between OCCT and y-cruncher versus Prime95 is that the better programs check for errors and report them quickly. You know very quickly when the setup is not stable.

Realbench is, as advertised, very much like real-world workloads. As such, it checks stability at the level of such workloads. That level is less stringent than is needed to set up profiles for competitive benchmarking. A few games and workloads may be more than a realbench-stable profile can handle. In any case, how many hours does the Realbench stability test take?

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array Brighttail PC Specs
    Brighttail PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G751JT
    MotherboardAsus x299 Rampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorIntel i9-7900x
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum SE 3200Mhz 4x8
    Graphics Card #1MSI GTX 1080TI
    MonitorAcer XB321HK (4k,IPS,G-sync)
    Storage #1Intel 900p (Boot) 2xSM961 (RAID 0) Games
    Storage #2Samsung 850 Pro 512GB - WD Black 4TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Water Cool
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1200i
    Keyboard Corsair Platinum 95
    Mouse Asus SPATHA
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM800
    Headset/Speakers Kanyo Y5
    OS Windows 10 64 bit
    Accessory #1 2 x Alphacool Full Copper Radiator 420mm/280mm
    Accessory #2 Monsoon MMRS reservoir w/ 2 x D5 Vario Pump
    Accessory #3 Monsoon Free Center Compression Fittings

Interesting item in the BIOS, Extreme overclocking requires a jumper to change and this option to turn on? What do they consider...extreme? higher than 1.25v or anything higher than stock?
    Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator Platinum SE 4x8 3200MHz
    MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p in a bootable VROC RAID 0 / Samsung 960 Pro 512GB
    Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD
    Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Spatha
    Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brighttail View Post
    Interesting item in the BIOS, Extreme overclocking requires a jumper to change and this option to turn on? What do they consider...extreme? higher than 1.25v or anything higher than stock?
    Usually, voltage ranges that you'd use for Ln2 are deemed extreme.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array Brighttail PC Specs
    Brighttail PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G751JT
    MotherboardAsus x299 Rampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorIntel i9-7900x
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum SE 3200Mhz 4x8
    Graphics Card #1MSI GTX 1080TI
    MonitorAcer XB321HK (4k,IPS,G-sync)
    Storage #1Intel 900p (Boot) 2xSM961 (RAID 0) Games
    Storage #2Samsung 850 Pro 512GB - WD Black 4TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Water Cool
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1200i
    Keyboard Corsair Platinum 95
    Mouse Asus SPATHA
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM800
    Headset/Speakers Kanyo Y5
    OS Windows 10 64 bit
    Accessory #1 2 x Alphacool Full Copper Radiator 420mm/280mm
    Accessory #2 Monsoon MMRS reservoir w/ 2 x D5 Vario Pump
    Accessory #3 Monsoon Free Center Compression Fittings

Quote Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS View Post
    Usually, voltage ranges that you'd use for Ln2 are deemed extreme.
    That is what I figured. I have had MB's in the past that if you wanted to do any over voltaging you had move a jumper.
    Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator Platinum SE 4x8 3200MHz
    MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p in a bootable VROC RAID 0 / Samsung 960 Pro 512GB
    Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD
    Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Spatha
    Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2