cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel allowing third-party SSD to use VROC?

Brighttail
Level 11
If you go to the VROC Information page and look under their FAQ it suggests that VROC will be available for 'selected third-party SSD' and suggests we look at the release notes.

The problem is no release note exist anywhere I have found.

Looking at Intel's m.2 you get a nice 2100GB/s read but writes are like 550 GB/s. No wonder they will only allow Intel SSDs to use VROC cause you are going to need like four of them running in RAID 0 jsut to get up to the write speeds of a Samsung Pro 960. 😕

I really hope that intel changes this and does allow other NVMe drive makers to use this technology. Apparently they do on their XEON chips so why not on their high end I9s?
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop
2 REPLIES 2

Moloch
Level 7
I'm guessing Intel spent a lot of money on R&D, and want to recoup some of their expenses before allowing 3rd party drives to use their platform.

I also suspect they are developing an M.2 that can compete with the Samsung 960, before they allow 3rd party. They don't want everyone buying 4x Samsung 960, they want people to buy 4x Intel whatever

Moloch wrote:
I'm guessing Intel spent a lot of money on R&D, and want to recoup some of their expenses before allowing 3rd party drives to use their platform.

I also suspect they are developing an M.2 that can compete with the Samsung 960, before they allow 3rd party. They don't want everyone buying 4x Samsung 960, they want people to buy 4x Intel whatever

Naturally but honestly with things like the Asus Hyper x16, there are two 4 Intel M.2s running in VROC that could match 2 Samsung pros running in simple Raid 0. Only thing is you can't boot. 😞
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop