cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about AVX instruction overclocking

Moloch
Level 7
So the default for "AVX Instruction Negative Offset" on my R6A was 2. This works fine until I get my cores up to 4.8GHz. With 4 cores at 4.8 I can run Aida64 stability test for over an hour without error.

Then I tried using the RoG RealBench, and with even a single core at 4.8 it crashes on the second test, H.264 Video Encoding, around 3-7% completion. I tried adjusting most of my voltages up 100mv or more, I even bumped my core voltage to the 4.8 core from 1.225 to 1.3, and it still crashes at the same place.

Eventually I dropped the AVX negative offset from 2 to 3, and the test passes now...

Is there any way to get this running with 2 offset, or is 3+ typical at 4.8GHz+ OC?

Is there any specific voltage I should try adjusting?

Edit: With further testing using my best core I was able to pass this test at 4.8GHz with -3 offset and only 1.19v, and 4.9GHz with -4 offset on 1.26v... but this slows down the AVX instruction on my 4.5GHz cores to 4.1GHz 😞

Is there a way to set this on a per-core basis? Can I put my 4.8/4.9 cores at -3/-4 and my 4.5 cores at -1/-2?
2 REPLIES 2

Raja
Level 13
AVX instruction sets require more Vcore than non-AVX workloads. Not much you can adjust outside Vcore. If you use per core rules, you're also affecting your non-AVX frequency for multi-threaded workloads. 4.5G for AVX workloads isn't bad at all.

JustinThyme
Level 13
AVX workloads put a hurting on the power draw and as such puts the flame on the heat.*

Silicon lottery has in the setting for their OC to be stable

*-3 AVX Offset
*-5 AVX512 Offset

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein