cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cold Boot takes longer than usual troubleshoot help!

Mercurius360
Level 7
Hey, I have a weird situation.

You can see the specs in my profile, but the cold boot takes a bit longer than usual now, even with the current 1602 BIOS.

When I started using this, it took about 20 seconds to get to desktop, without seeing the lock screen before logging in. Now, it's taking a bit longer, when I saw the lock screen icons and the mouse before auto-logging in.

Is that normal or did I do something wrong?

My DRAM is set at 2400, btw.
9 REPLIES 9

amalkumar
Level 7
Cold Boot Cold Boot Cold Boot troubleshoot PLS FIX

PeZzy
Level 7
Fast Boot = Enabled?
Launch CSM = Disabled?
OS Type = Windows UEFI mode?

Look at the list of programs at:
Task Manager -> Start-up
See if something is slowing things down.

Mercurius360
Level 7
Thanks for pointing things out, PeZzy.

It seems Launch CSM is enabled, so I disabled that. Still got the lock screen icons and the mouse before auto-logging in, but in a bit lesser time.

As for Task manager -> Start-up, here's the ones that show up:

I can't tell which one slowed it down, so maybe you can help me.

P.S. Epson ones are my printer.

PeZzy
Level 7
You have a large number of startup programs. From that screen you can disable some programs so they don't start up by right clicking on them and selecting disable. That way you might be able to narrow it down to one program. The last BIOS time is normal from my experience (20-24 seconds), so I would think it is an OS or startup programs problem.

Another possibility are services related to the programs. You might want to go into msconfig and disable some non-Microsoft services. You should also look at event viewer under administrative events for errors.

davemon50
Level 11
I have found that for inexplicable long startups it is usually due to a failing hardware component. You can try diagnostics on hard drives first to see if you have issues there.
Davemon50

Mercurius360
Level 7
I just switched OS Type to Windows UEFI mode AND did diagnostics on all my hard drives and memory to show nothing was wrong.

Hmmm...must be the new norm, cause it was like this in BIOS 1503, too. Must be another type of cold boot bug, cause I use my M.2 drive as my OS drive.

Also, the pc shutdown timing is still quick, so no harm in that area.

PeZzy
Level 7
I'm on 1501 and have yet to experience a slow OS startup. I have the same CPU, Mobo and same M.2 as OS drive. I also have the same cooler.

Are you using the Samsung driver?

Mercurius360
Level 7
Yeah. I have that installed...but, I'm going to install v 2.2 (the latest driver version), to see if that fixes it.

:UPDATE: Yep. The culprit was an outdated NVME Driver from Samsung. I updated it, and it fixed the slowed-down cold boot.

I didn't think it would be that, until you brought it up, PeZzy. I feel so dumb, right now. XD

Thanks! 🙂

davemon50
Level 11
Thank you for sharing the answer to that. 🙂
Davemon50