Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by xeromist View Post
    "Virtualization" is a broad term that covers a mixture of features. You can have virtualization without PCI-E passthrough. Even AMD's page on virtualization is a bit vague. It does mention I/O passthrough but doesn't specify if that means any PCI-E device or a limited set of built in components.
    https://www.amd.com/en-us/innovation...virtualization

Anyway, if you've seen something that explicitly touted PCI passthrough as a feature of Threadripper, that's awesome. I don't have any official information so if you do, ignore me. That means they may actually prioritize fixing it. I just haven't seen anything as such and it has been an issue since Ryzen launched so I'm not optimistic about the timeline.
    AMD's official stance is that its supposed to be officially supported, even though it's a broken mess at the moment. That's also why there are options in the BIOS to enable this, as noted by the other poster

As a mod, volunteer or otherwise, you should be cautious about making statements that could be interpreted as product decisions from ASUS, as there has been many people angrily refunding Threadripper boards over this (/r/VFIO discord is full of them). People, including me, are really pissed about this situation because of the amount of money we've sunk into this platform, especially given it DOES work on the cheap low end Ryzen's (where AMD also stated publicly that it was officially deemed supported, and made specific fixes for in AGESA 1006)

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array Korth PC Specs
    Korth PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS X99 R5E (BIOS2101/1902)
    ProcessorHaswell-EP E5-1680-3 SR20H/R2 (4.4GHz)
    Memory (part number)Vengeance LPX 4x8GB SS DDR4-3000 (CMK32GX4M4C3000C15)
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Graphics Card #2NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Sound CardJDS Labs O2+ODAC (RevB), USB2 UAC1
    MonitorASUS PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSDs, 4xSATA3 RAID0
    Storage #2Comay BladeDrive E28 3200GB SSD, 8xPCIe2
    CPU CoolerRaijintek NEMESIS/TISIS, AS5, 2xNH-A14
    CaseObsidian 750D (original), 6xNH-A14
    Power SupplyZalman/FSP ZM1250 Platinum
    Headset Pilot P51 PTT *modded*
    OS Arch, Gentoo, Win7x64, Win10x64
    Network RouterActiontec T3200M VDSL2 Gateway
    Accessory #1 TP-Link AC1900 Archer T9E, 1xPCIe
    Accessory #2 ASUS/Infineon SLB9635 TPM (TT1.2/FW3.19)
    Accessory #3 ASUS OC Panel I (FW0501)

Intel's "Virtualization" info is equally vague. Less of a technical item than a marketing one.
    "All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by starlightknight View Post
    AMD's official stance is that its supposed to be officially supported, even though it's a broken mess at the moment. That's also why there are options in the BIOS to enable this, as noted by the other poster

As a mod, volunteer or otherwise, you should be cautious about making statements that could be interpreted as product decisions from ASUS, as there has been many people angrily refunding Threadripper boards over this (/r/VFIO discord is full of them). People, including me, are really pissed about this situation because of the amount of money we've sunk into this platform, especially given it DOES work on the cheap low end Ryzen's (where AMD also stated publicly that it was officially deemed supported, and made specific fixes for in AGESA 1006)
    well said, thank you

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by starlightknight View Post

Cool. Good to know they have officially responded. I don't follow that subreddit so I wasn't aware. I really do hope they fix it because it's something I've considered doing and may try if it's stable when I'm ready to upgrade.

Fair enough. I always try to phrase things clearly when they are my personal opinion or speculation. I only intentionally invoke ASUS when issuing moderation decisions. If it's ever unclear, please let me know and I'm happy to fix it. And to be clear, moderators with normal usernames are volunteer members and we do not receive any inside information. For example, I didn't even know Bahz was leaving until he posted it publicly.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

ROG Member Array

Someone on Reddit got it working on the Asus Prime X399 board

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...t&utm_name=Amd

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by relm56 View Post
    Someone on Reddit got it working on the Asus Prime X399 board

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...t&utm_name=Amd
    Interesting - they managed to get it to work with VMware which is different than what most people are trying (KVM, the built-in hypervisor). I had misread at first, but they are still using D3 state for reset which is interesting, because that's where the process gets stuck on the KVM route. A driver called VFIO is assigned to the card which puts the device into D3 until the VM starts. But once put into D3, many cards can't wake up on the Threadripper board and its unclear why
    Last edited by starlightknight; 09-28-2017 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Misread at first

New ROGer Array

AMD is now officially gathering information on the passthrough issues for replication (they are stating they are committed to getting these resolved). They are requesting that affected users fill out their survey here:

http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D24DB2311F

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2