cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

double power cycle on cold start after update 1902=>3701

dvdw_1969
Level 7
Hi,

after being a quiet reader for some years I now have a problem (or maybe it is no) which I cannot find in the other topics.

After updating my RVE from 1902 (which worked fine, but I thought it had issues with a new Samsung NVME drive) to 3701, the system takes two power cycles each cold boot.

This means after switched on it switches off within 1-2 seconds, stays off 2 seconds, switches on again and Posts normal. To dig deeper I tried to switch to Bios 2 (which also had 1902). Unfortunately the system updates Bios 2 automatically to 3701 also. It would be great if someone can answer these questions:

1. Is there a way to prevent this double power cycle at startup, what may cause it?
2. Can I flashback to a pre 3000 bios without problems (because of the intel ME update that comes with the 3000er)?
3. Why does the system update Bios 2 automatically?

CPU is a xeon 2696v3 so Haswell based
all 40 pci lanes are used by GPUs and NVME drives (one m.2 + one pcie)
and no overclocking only defaults and 2133 ram speed + virtual machine support enabled + virtual I/o suport enabled

Regards
Dirk
4 REPLIES 4

dvdw_1969
Level 7
Hi,

I fixed the double boot with disabling the fast boot option. But now, after the system has been powered down and electricity has been cut off, a restart need 5 attempts saying "Bios is updating" and rebooting - before finally a full boot of win 10 or win 7 is done. I do not loose any bios settings (so battery should not be the problem).

A normal shutdown and restart without a real power cutoff works fine.

Any ideas what is going on there? It would be really helpful to understand under which condition this "bios is updating" message shows up and what happens during this time.

dvdw_1969 wrote:
Hi,

I fixed the double boot with disabling the fast boot option. But now, after the system has been powered down and electricity has been cut off, a restart need 5 attempts saying "Bios is updating" and rebooting - before finally a full boot of win 10 or win 7 is done. I do not loose any bios settings (so battery should not be the problem).

A normal shutdown and restart without a real power cutoff works fine.

Any ideas what is going on there? It would be really helpful to understand under which condition this "bios is updating" message shows up and what happens during this time.

List all the USB devices connected to your system.

Hi,

after doing more research I found the solution in an old thread:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-85717.html

BIOS 2 is still loaded with 1902 (and was selected via BIOS-switch) which seems not to boot with the new ME firmware (came with 3701) so system switches back to BIOS 1 (this causes the reboots). The systems stays on Bios 1 until power is completely cut off.

So either flashing also BIOS 2 back to a pre 3xxx BIOS or selecting BIOS 1 via BIOS-switch solves the problem.
For the moment I stay with 3701 as it works fine so far.

kaese
Level 10
I dont know the reason but first thing I would do is: switch back to your first BIOS (that one you updated manually to 3701) and do a BIOS reset (disconnect power cables and take out BIOS battery for a minute)