Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sub Zero Overclocking Motherboard Preparation

X-ROG
Level 15
13 REPLIES 13

FireRx
Level 11
what about the condensation and pin rot that can develop in the CPU Socket? also that hole on the lid of the processor?
Intel Core i9 103900KS
Asus Maximus Z790 Extreme [bios 1801]
LG (34U97-s) Monitor 3440 x1440
Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Windows 11 Pro
64gbz Memory

HiVizMan
Level 40
The key to the whole insulation thing is to make your seal around the cooler and the processor air tight. You do not want moisture that is transported in the air forming condensation. As to the pin rot (love the term) that is not an issue when you are going hard on LN2. As you break down your system at the end of the session. So no worries about that.

Pin rot is a new one for me. If there is water in the socket you will have shorts going on and that will result in your pins melting and fusing, or your CPU being damaged.

I was looking for this article the other day so thanks for pulling it out again for me.

Just out of interest did it make sense to you? And what would you like to see added or included, I did not put anything for SS or phase cooling for those who run their systems 24/7.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
The key to the whole insulation thing is to make your seal around the cooler and the processor air tight. You do not want moisture that is transported in the air forming condensation. As to the pin rot (love the term) that is not an issue when you are going hard on LN2. As you break down your system at the end of the session. So no worries about that.

Pin rot is a new one for me. If there is water in the socket you will have shorts going on and that will result in your pins melting and fusing, or your CPU being damaged.

I was looking for this article the other day so thanks for pulling it out again for me.

Just out of interest did it make sense to you? And what would you like to see added or included, I did not put anything for SS or phase cooling for those who run their systems 24/7.

Yeah it works well for LN2 usage and a good guide. However for Peltiers, and Phase Change where you using active cooling 24/7 the vaseline bath in the socket is a proven method for me to prevent condensation in and around the Socket, as well as the back of the board behind the socket. I use a hair dryer to soften /melt the vaseline to a liquid state, an seal the socket while installing the CPU. I works great on my current x-58 board that's been running 24/7 for 4 years now. LOL. learned a lot on the insulation thing. "Pin rot" came from the peltier /phase change era. 😄
Intel Core i9 103900KS
Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Windows 11 Pro
64gbz Memory

Praz
Level 13
The only way socket damage will occur with SS is with inadequate insulation. If the socket is isolated from the environment and the block insulation properly seals to the board condensation in the socket cannot occur. If a person is unsure of the sealing or the sealing application used does not provide an airtight seal than Vaseline or dielectric grease is a viable option although a bit messy.

alyraver
Level 10
For my chiller to be at 4c 24/7 I insulated my mobo using the guide shown. It helped a lot but one thing I thought was missing was the CPU block and fittings insulation method.

I too used silicone grease direct in the socket which will stop any condensation gettin in there and a big bang

However I have since stripped down my entire system again to properly insulate my mobo with silicone rubber rather than putty. I think the artists eraser I got wasn't good at moulding.
I then also added 2 neoprene layers on my mobo with only the space cut out for cpu block to fit.

The problem I had was that condensation was forming on the cpu block itself and causing the armaflex tape on my fittings to peel away. This was because I left areas on my cpu block uncovered and therefore condensation got in. I have now completely sealed my Ek cpu block using armaflex tape and silicone rubber to create an air tight space when its positioned on the mobo.

For my tubing I found that armaflex tape worked well too.

As for the hole on the cpu thing I too was concerned about it, but I assume as its in an airtight space its ok?
800D/Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition/i73930K @ 5.2/ Kingston Hyper X Beast 32GB 2400/ STRIX 1080TI OC, EK Nickel Plexi CPU block, No Rad + No Fans :D, Alphacool D5 Pump.. HC 500A chiller @ 4C - Max load temp @ 5.2 = 55c. Lowest Core Idle Temp = 3c

alyraver wrote:
For my chiller to be at 4c 24/7 I insulated my mobo using the guide shown. It helped a lot but one thing I thought was missing was the CPU block and fittings insulation method.

I too used silicone grease direct in the socket which will stop any condensation gettin in there and a big bang

However I have since stripped down my entire system again to properly insulate my mobo with silicone rubber rather than putty. I think the artists eraser I got wasn't good at moulding.
I then also added 2 neoprene layers on my mobo with only the space cut out for cpu block to fit.

The problem I had was that condensation was forming on the cpu block itself and causing the armaflex tape on my fittings to peel away. This was because I left areas on my cpu block uncovered and therefore condensation got in. I have now completely sealed my Ek cpu block using armaflex tape and silicone rubber to create an air tight space when its positioned on the mobo.

For my tubing I found that armaflex tape worked well too.

As for the hole on the cpu thing I too was concerned about it, but I assume as its in an airtight space its ok?

What are you using for silicon rubber around you socket. I've pretty much given up on the grease in the socket thing. since you have to melt it with a hair dryer into the socket I think the heat moves pins around where you don't want them. :mad:. So when I get my board back I goint ot just concentrate on isolating the socket itself from Ambient air, and not worry about the pins.
Intel Core i9 103900KS
Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Windows 11 Pro
64gbz Memory

HiVizMan
Level 40
Indeed the key word is airtight. Once you have a airtight seal then no condensation can form.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan
Level 40
All you need is a proper airtight fight. No air access = no condensation.

HiVizMan wrote:
All you need is a proper airtight fight. No air access = no condensation.

Cool thanks HiVizMan:cool:
Intel Core i9 103900KS
Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Windows 11 Pro
64gbz Memory