cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just Upgraded G20AJ to Non-Reference GTX 1070

Abomlol
Level 7
Hey all,

I've been using these forums to get good info on jumper settings for my recent install and wanted to share the success I've had with my 1070 upgrade. My G20AJ-B07 Came with just the 230W adapter. I managed to get the 180W stock Asus adapter from a local on eBay. I moved the JDC11 jumper over and the JDC1-5 Jumpers to the top two pins. Both power adapters are working great so far.

Its a Non-reference EVGA 1070 SC ACX3 card (model: P4-6173-KR).
- Internal temps are great
- not getting any thermal throttling and the cards clocks are staying steady
- ran 3Dmark stress test, Waframe/Overwatch on all maxed details:1440@165hz with an uncapped FPS. The GPU holds steady at 78C with the GPU BIOS fan curve.

Some things of note:
I removed the stock 1tb HDD. I use a 500gb Evo and an external USB3 drive.
Metal grill opposite GPU fans was removed thanks to this forum's recommendation.
I had to unscrew the Chassis/CPU fan bracket and tilt it away to angle the GPU in but it fits perfectly. The metal tab on the bottom of the case slid right between the ACX LED and the G20's holding bracket for the GPU.

I'm using a custom Chassis/CPU Fan curve:
CPU: 75C/65%, 65C/55%, 40C/20% Chassis: 75C/75%, 60C/55%, 40C/20%
The i5-4460 is idling around 45C and peaking at 61C gaming.

I was initially concerned with an open air cooler design. part of me thinks EVGA's ACX 3.0 just has great cooling updates compared to their 2.0 revisions. In a full gaming session the noise is nominally below what I was expecting and not bothersome at all. The Stock GTX750 was infinitely louder. I'm a little curious if removing the 1tb HDD helped, as there seem to be holes for vents behind it, but I didn't bother testing.
4 REPLIES 4

rene_canlas
Level 7
Abomlol wrote:
Hey all,

I've been using these forums to get good info on jumper settings for my recent install and wanted to share the success I've had with my 1070 upgrade.

- ran 3Dmark stress test, Waframe/Overwatch on all maxed details at 1440p@165hz with an uncapped FPS and the GPU holds steady at 78C with the GPU BIOS fan curve.

Some things of note:
Metal grill opposite GPU fans was removed thanks to this forum's recommendations.
I had to unscrew the Chassis/CPU fan bracket and tilt it away to angle the GPU in but it fits perfectly. The metal tab on the bottom of the case slid right between the ACX LED and the G20's holding bracket for the GPU.

Current Setup:
G20AJ-B07
i5-4460 (stock clocks, no undervolting)
Samsung 850 Evo 500gb
16gb ram

Good job!
Our G20AJ has 2 sata connectors. I have a 750gb ssd and the original 1tb hdd both connected internally. The bay for the 2.5" drive is a b*tch to access though. Had to bend some plastic to slip it in.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Ya the SSD install wasn't fun. I started to take everything apart and realized there's just a small metal plate behind the front plastic. I also managed to install the addtl 8gb of ram without having to take the heat pipes off. Took a little shimmying.

litania72
Level 7
Abomlol wrote:
Hey all,

I've been using these forums to get good info on jumper settings for my recent install and wanted to share the success I've had with my 1070 upgrade. My G20AJ-B07 Came with just the 230W adapter. I managed to get the 180W stock Asus adapter from a local on eBay. I moved the JDC11 jumper over and the JDC1-5 Jumpers to the top two pins. Both power adapters are working great so far.

- ran 3Dmark stress test, Waframe/Overwatch on all maxed details:1440@165hz with an uncapped FPS. The GPU holds steady at 78C with the GPU BIOS fan curve.

Some things of note:
Metal grill opposite GPU fans was removed thanks to this forum's recommendation.

I'm using a custom Chassis/CPU Fan curve:
CPU: 75C/65%, 65C/55%, 40C/20% Chassis: 75C/75%, 60C/55%, 40C/20%
The i5-4460 is idling around 45C and peaking at 61C gaming.

I was initially concerned with an open air cooler design. part of me thinks EVGA's ACX 3.0 just has great cooling updates compared to their 2.0 revisions. In a full gaming session the noise is nominally below what I was expecting and not bothersome at all. The Stock GTX750 was infinitely louder. I'm a little curious if removing the 1tb HDD helped, as there seem to be holes for vents behind it, but I didn't bother testing.

Please tell me that you took photos and they will soon appear here....hate those written only descriptions....add some photos....cheers.

I started to take pictures but realized they were just reiterations on what's already been show on YouTube and this forum. Sorey! What I thought was missing is information affirming that atleast some open air coolers are perfectly fine in the G20. For anyone looking to upgrade i was impressed by the B-Stock available on EVGA's website. The card I bought is available for 540$ through most retailers and I got it for $400 directly from EVGA B-Stock. They also have good prices on 1050tis and 1060s.

If you'd like more 3dmark, gameplay, or HWinfo screenshots I'd be happy to put some up.