cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overclocking RVIE - 7900x - Need additional help

mpoffo
Level 10
I have my system up and running and now I am playing with OC settings. I am looking for a mild but reliable overclock.

I have a questions regarding settings in the BIOs. My frame of reference is from OCing my 3930K on the RIVE.

So this is what I have done. I have changed the ratio to 44 on all cores to go for a 4.4 MHz OC to start. Tested it some and it appears stable. Memory is set to XMP mode and running solid at 3200. Did some realbench and HCI Memtest testing so far. I can probably go higher on my CPU OC.

On my old RIVE I had set the CPU VCORE Voltage to offset mode and set an offset of +.005. That setting would allow the CPU core speed to ramp up when needed and then lower when not needed.

I am trying to do the same thing on the RVIE. On the RVIE I set the CPU Core Voltage(not CPU VCORE voltage - RIVE, assume the same?) to offset mode and did the same offset of +.005. Question, does this do the same as x79? It appears to do something similar and ramps up when there is demand but I notice the core speed jumps around a lot more than the RIVE. Should I use a different offset value?

Also how would Intel Turbo Speed 3 and C-state effect these settings. Both are currently enabled. Should I disable?

Thanks for letting me ask these "dumb" questions.
RVIE X299 System:
Windows 10 Prof 64-bit | Intel Core i9 7900x | ASUS Rampage VI Extreme | Corsair AX 1200i PSU
Corsair 900D | 32 GB 3200 G.SKILL Trident RGB Series | RTX 3090/EVGA GTX 1080 | Acer X34 Predator Monitor
Samsung 840 PRO 256 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | Intel 520 SATA SSD 240GB HD | 2 & 4 TB WD Black Hard Drive
Creative Sound Blaster Z | Logitech THX 5.1 speaker setup
30 REPLIES 30

Raja
Level 13
mpoffo wrote:
I have my system up and running and now I am playing with OC settings. I am looking for a mild but reliable overclock.

I have a questions regarding settings in the BIOs. My frame of reference is from OCing my 3930K on the RIVE.

So this is what I have done. I have changed the ratio to 44 on all cores to go for a 4.4 MHz OC to start. Tested it some and it appears stable. Memory is set to XMP mode and running solid at 3200. Did some realbench and HCI Memtest testing so far. I can probably go higher on my CPU OC.

On my old RIVE I had set the CPU VCORE Voltage to offset mode and set an offset of +.005. That setting would allow the CPU core speed to ramp up when needed and then lower when not needed.

I am trying to do the same thing on the RVIE. On the RVIE I set the CPU Core Voltage(not CPU VCORE voltage - RIVE, assume the same?) to offset mode and did the same offset of +.005. Question, does this do the same as x79? It appears to do something similar and ramps up when there is demand but I notice the core speed jumps around a lot more than the RIVE. Should I use a different offset value?

Also how would Intel Turbo Speed 3 and C-state effect these settings. Both are currently enabled. Should I disable?

Thanks for letting me ask these "dumb" questions.

It's preferable to use Adaptive mode for this type of OC. You simply set the ceiling Vcore in the Additional Turbo Voltage box. So, if you want 1.15V under full load, that's what you'd type into the box. You can check out the Broadwell-E OC guide on ASUS Edge up for a UEFI breakdown (most of it is the same for X299). There's info on how to use the Adaptive voltage in there, too.

Leave the Turbo and C-State settings at default.

If the OS supports it, SpeedShift changes voltages quite rapidly, so expect different transitions/activiation times compared to older platforms.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
It's preferable to use Adaptive mode for this type of OC. You simply set the ceiling Vcore in the Additional Turbo Voltage box. So, if you want 1.15V under full load, that's what you'd type into the box. You can check out the Broadwell-E OC guide on ASUS Edge up for a UEFI breakdown (most of it is the same for X299). There's info on how to use the Adaptive voltage in there, too.

If the OS supports it, SpeedShift changes voltages quite rapidly, so expect different transitions/activiation times compared to older platforms.

So I tried this and it appears to work as intended. However I notice that the core voltage never goes above 1.00. I set the core 'ceiling' to 1.2. I wonder if this is holding back the cpu or perhaps it does not need more?
RVIE X299 System:
Windows 10 Prof 64-bit | Intel Core i9 7900x | ASUS Rampage VI Extreme | Corsair AX 1200i PSU
Corsair 900D | 32 GB 3200 G.SKILL Trident RGB Series | RTX 3090/EVGA GTX 1080 | Acer X34 Predator Monitor
Samsung 840 PRO 256 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | Intel 520 SATA SSD 240GB HD | 2 & 4 TB WD Black Hard Drive

mpoffo wrote:
So I tried this and it appears to work as intended. However I notice that the core voltage never goes above 1.00. I set the core 'ceiling' to 1.2. I wonder if this is holding back the cpu or perhaps it does not need more?

What tool are you using to read the voltage?
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone wrote:
What tool are you using to read the voltage?

I have been using CPU-Z.
RVIE X299 System:

Raja@ASUS wrote:

I had a question about installing intel's turbo boost Max Tech 3.0 software too., Raja. on these new board do I even need that software any more in Windows 10 x64?

Thanks. :cool:
Intel Core i9 103900KS
Asus Maximus Z790 Extreme [bios 1801]
LG (34U97-s) Monitor 3440 x1440
Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Windows 11 Pro
64gbz Memory

FireRx wrote:
I had a question about installing intel's turbo boost Max Tech 3.0 software too., Raja. on these new board do I even need that software any more in Windows 10 x64?

If you want to lock applications to specific cores, yes.

FireRx wrote:

If you overclock all your cores to the same speed I don't think its that useful to have it. But if you are doing like I am on my 7900X and having the 2 special cores running at higher speeds than the other cores its help to use it to force the app to use those 2 cores first if its an app that isn't multi-threaded very well. For instance I play SWTOR a lot and it uses primarily only 2 cores full speed and just a minor bit of 2 others. So I use the Intel software to prioritize to use the 2 special cores first so effectively the ones running at 4.5Ghz are getting the 100% load and the slower cores are getting the smaller loads making the game run faster overall from CPU perspective. In theory with Asus UEFI settings you could even set 4 cores to run at 4.7 or something and the other 6 to run at 4.0 to keep heat down if you are gaming and lot, then prioritize those 4 cores with the Intel software. This would keep the heat down on your CPU while giving you some good gaming speed.
Asus ROG Rampage VI Apex 2002 BIOS / Intel i9-7900X / G.Skill TridentZ RBG F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 17-17-17-37
LG 38" 38GL950G-B Ultrawide / EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid/ Sound Blaster AE-5
Corsair H115i Pro CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2 / Corsair Arctic White T780 Case

SGMRock wrote:
If you overclock all your cores to the same speed I don't think its that useful to have it. But if you are doing like I am on my 7900X and having the 2 special cores running at higher speeds than the other cores its help to use it to force the app to use those 2 cores first if its an app that isn't multi-threaded very well. For instance I play SWTOR a lot and it uses primarily only 2 cores full speed and just a minor bit of 2 others. So I use the Intel software to prioritize to use the 2 special cores first so effectively the ones running at 4.5Ghz are getting the 100% load and the slower cores are getting the smaller loads making the game run faster overall from CPU perspective. In theory with Asus UEFI settings you could even set 4 cores to run at 4.7 or something and the other 6 to run at 4.0 to keep heat down if you are gaming and lot, then prioritize those 4 cores with the Intel software. This would keep the heat down on your CPU while giving you some good gaming speed.

The intel speed technology should identify those two cores for you pretty quickly as well and if not they will be easy to find after a simple Aida 64 run. When we were at 4 cores I didn't like having different cores running at different speeds but 8, 10? Yeah. Using the software to tell Windows which cores to use first is also a good thing now. As you said unless you need all those cores working, then from a simple temperature stand point it would be good to lower the lesser cores some. 🙂 I probably will identify my top FOUR cores for this purpose.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

Raja@ASUS wrote:

Raja I been messing with CPU Core Adaptive voltage settings, I tried to set a 0.001 offset and then set the cap voltage at 1.1 for instance but it keeps using more than 1.1 VID on all my cores. Am I missing something here? In order to get it to run lower voltages I had to actually use a - offset or use manual. I don't like to use manual though because my system idles a lot and I like it when the cores are clocked down and run lower voltages so I thought Adaptive was the way to go based on what I read about it. Just not sure why its not working as explained in the article with the cap voltage.
Asus ROG Rampage VI Apex 2002 BIOS / Intel i9-7900X / G.Skill TridentZ RBG F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 17-17-17-37
LG 38" 38GL950G-B Ultrawide / EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid/ Sound Blaster AE-5
Corsair H115i Pro CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2 / Corsair Arctic White T780 Case