cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here is the motherboard of G74,Can you tell me if it is good ?

Sickkid
Level 7

Here is the motherboard

Can anyone tell me,is it well designed and use good electronic component

and if ivy come out,G74I with new Ivy ,can we exchange the board?
Anyone who owe G73j exchange the board of G73S?
18 REPLIES 18

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Yeah, it's good. 🙂

Chances are, the new Asus models will be slightly redesigned, and the motherboards will not be interchangeable. There's absolutely no standard fit or sizing in laptop motherboards, so each one is usually unique to the model it's designed for.

Bojamijams
Level 7
Is the video card on the G74SX upgradable? From my understanding, if it uses the MXM interface, it should be. But if it is, where would one find a 580M to replace the 560M if they wanted?

unfortunately,the video card is on the borad。。。。。:mad::mad:

Bojamijams wrote:
Is the video card on the G74SX upgradable? From my understanding, if it uses the MXM interface, it should be. But if it is, where would one find a 580M to replace the 560M if they wanted?

MXM just doesn't really exist anymore. Maybe some whitebox retailers do it, but thermally and electronically it's too difficult to accommodate in such a small space with specifically rated VRMs and power-brick.

The J is not upgradable to S due to the design change from Clarkdale/Llynfield to Sandybridge (same as desktop LGA1156->1155). Like you said, you can upgrade within the same CPU family though, so if you wanted to drop in an Extreme Edition you could!

We ship more consumer motherboards than any other company (~22 Million a year, not including notebooks) and we're rated #1 in the world for performance motherboards - we know how to make them well 😉

fostert
Level 12
Yes, the GPU and VRAM are soldered right to the mainboard, so it is not upgradeable. However, the CPU is socketed (FCPGA988 socket type) and the board will take anything up to the core i7 extreme 2960XM (I've read on other forums some people who have done this upgrade). That is if you've got $1k to spend.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

chrsplmr
Level 18
I didnt see anything that jumped out at me..but you cant tell by looking at a pic..
unless there is obvious scorching or popped caps...you mostly cant tell holding
it in your hand.... to answer the first part of ur q......why?

hhmmm

does that pic just scream liquid cooling mod or is it just me

solder some thread caps on the four ends / convert a mini fish tank pump to usb and some server hd fans

kraygon

chrsplmr wrote:
I didnt see anything that jumped out at me..but you cant tell by looking at a pic..
unless there is obvious scorching or popped caps...you mostly cant tell holding
it in your hand.... to answer the first part of ur q......why?

Motherboard is the most important thing for a computer.
For a laptop is everything......
Asus claim it is a solid laptop.

So I want to know the motherboard if it is well designed and use good component,better electric capacity .....
Anyway I have bought my G74 instead of alienware m17r3, despite
of alienware‘s good lookin and better performance.I have a feeling alienware's motherboard is not as good as asus.

chrsplmr
Level 18
WHA....??? 22,000,000 per year??? ...................and 'some' flap ??? !!! ............
Although when it is you..... been there... that's how I got here.
...and now the whole place is Black and I cant find the door.

I can not wait til the next rant/rage..................22M....to how many confirmed problems???
That's .00something%. Thank You for Not Flapping Zone-You Dont have to.

Come here-Call attention to your issue--get it resolved--stay for the ROG.

Asus does not want ANY bad RMA's any more than the Unfortunate Few.
The numbers prove it. It is also cultural. This would disrespectect ones self.
Dishonor..ect........Never....and disgrace your sons and their sons for generations?
Laughter..or a back turn at the mention of your family name.....
Mission statements and company positions are not written in smoke. Ever.

ummm..how many notebooks?....and of those...how many are ROG...very curious..been
looking for these numbers......

..sorry if OffTopic.......ooops...carry on....c.