cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Major issue with ASUS Rampage Extreme IV (pls bare with the long posts)

Brathdari
Level 7
Hi Guys

I have a custom build pc that come with a Rampage Extreme IV that I've had for about 3yrs now and I've ran into a rather peculiar problem that i've never experienced before and unable to find anything on the net for it.

Just the other night I was gaming about 10PM and decided to shutdown pc as normal....the next morning pressed the Power Switch and nothing.

Well, I was like ok, what's goin on here? Turn off PSU switch, pulled out cord and re-attached....nothing.

I spent about 4hrs pulling my hair out trying to find out what went wrong. I didn't install or remove anything prior to pc not starting.

Now here's when it got better. After about 4hrs trying to resolve issue I had to go to work for 12PM. About 3PM I got a phone call from my dad that I left the PC on running and asked why I didn't turn it off. I was like, you gotta be kidding me, right? I mean how in the world did it power on wihout anyone being home at the time and after all my efforts trying to power it on. Anyways, I told my dad to leave it on, I'll deal with it when I reach home.

Got home about 9PM...PC running fine and no errors of the sort. I browse the net for about 1hr, called it a night and shutdown normally. Next morning about 8AM pressed the Power switch....nothing.
This thing was turning ugly real fast. I was pressing Power Switch multiple times and pc wont come on.

Got frustrated and grab a drink. Came back press swich, VOILA! PC started.
Ok, so l've checked bios for anything unusual and found nothing. Booted to desktop ran Malwarebytes, Event Viewer, rechecked Power Options...nothing unusual. At this point in time I didn't even wanted to turn off the system. After a couple hrs being on, I decided to shutdown as normal...press switch pc started fine. Tried this multiple times even restarts in between and pc started to my surprise.

Next day my vacation started...excited....pressed power switch....dissappointment.
Now I got really serious.
Here what I tried that didn't work. Tried a brand new EVGA PSU, that didn't work, replace CMOS battery, pulled out all USBs cords, replaced Power Cord, jumping Power switch headers with screw driver as I thought It was a switch issue. Tried 1 RAM module, removed GPU...nothing.

Eventually I took everything out to look for clues and clean as I had the chance to do so now. Checked MOBO for bust CAPS, check CPU, checked Liquid Cooling sys/Radiator, fans, rechecked all RAM, GPU, SSDs.....rebuild with excitment....nothing.

After several hrs attempting to start pc...it wont start.
Decided to just plug in just the 24pin connector, a 8pin EATX12V and an EZ plug connector.
Then about 2hrs later, all of a sudden it started on its own. My dad and I moniterd it cafefully then....It shut down on its own. Press Power button and it came on just fine, repeated shutdown/startup/restart process multiple times....pc work like nothing happened.

Ok, so then I went ahead reattached all cables and clean up untidy cables pressed switch and nothing.....again! Unbelievable man!!!!

So last Saturday I took the pc to repair shop for testing and the damn pc started...can't believe it. They start/shutdown number of times it worked. They didn't find any reason to do further testing as it was up and running. Took it back home didn't work....took to my aunt's house as she doesn't live to far...didn't work. What really is goin on man!!! Why did it work at the repair shop and not at my house?

Went back to repair on Monday....guy plugged it in nothing. Now he's baffled and was glad he actually saw what I've been experiencing. He then grab a screw to start disessemble but before he can turn the 1st nut....pc started on its own.

No that its on, diagnostic lights showed 00 on mobo for Bios 1 with no signal on monitor then he switch to Bios 2 and we gotta signal with diag lights doing its self test.
Everything ran well and noted the Bios could have been corrupted. Took it home again just connected 24pin to see if it started....it started...fine then. Reattached everything....pressed power switch....nothing again.

Can someone tell me why it was starting at the repair shop as opposed to my home and my aunt's home? I can't even get in the Bios like the technician did.

I this keeps up, may have to change board all together.

Here are my specs off the top of my head:

ASUS Rampage iv Extreme
i7 4820k @ 4.6ghz
GTX 960 SSC
Coolmaster Seidon 120M Liquid Cooling
16GB G-SKILL clocked @ 2133
HMW - XG-H800 ATX PSU 800watts (replaced to EVGA 750w)
2 Samsung SSDs: 250/120GB
Windows 10 Pro.

Really need help on this one guys...I thank you.

Regards,
Dario
8 REPLIES 8

kkn
Level 14
just by pure guess, the 00 mainly means dead bios/cpu
did you instal enny components maby before this happened?
or there can be a loose part/connection on the board ( just guessing on this one!!! ).
i dont know if that board have usb flashback (for a try and reflash 1'st bios ) and see if you can flash bios 1 and see if you can get it to work.
i have not had this board so i would wait until some one else with more experience then me on this board would give bether advice.

kkn wrote:
just by pure guess, the 00 mainly means dead bios/cpu
did you instal enny components maby before this happened?
or there can be a loose part/connection on the board ( just guessing on this one!!! ).
i dont know if that board have usb flashback (for a try and reflash 1'st bios ) and see if you can flash bios 1 and see if you can get it to work.
i have not had this board so i would wait until some one else with more experience then me on this board would give bether advice.

Well about a month ago I installed 2 Cooler Master Sickle Flow 120s. 1 in front radiator and also behind as the previous were dying. Funny how I used to get a toothpick just to jumpstart them....but that's why I replaced them.

About 2mins pc came started on its own so I'm in the Bios right. I copied the working Bios 2 over to Bios 1 (don't know if that help the cause). I will reflash too, problem is...I live in the Caribbean and we've been getting these freak storms/Hurricanes/T'storms and power outages are prevalent.

I've had this problem way before the storms so that's not the issue here, besides I have an APC SurgeArrest.

Nate152
Hi Brathdari

If copying bios 2 to 1 or flashing bios 1 doesn't work, it would seem you have a faulty bios 1 chip. If it does work then bios 1 was just corrupted.

Keep us updated.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Brathdari

If copying bios 2 to 1 or flashing bios 1 doesn't work, it would seem you have a faulty bios 1 chip. If it does work then bios 1 was just corrupted.

Keep us updated.

Hi Nate152,

Thanks alot for quick response...will see if that was the case.

Exactly what causes a Bios chip to fail?
Can it be repaired?
If Bios 1 chip was faulty, what's to stop Bios 2 from being faulty too? I mean got board in 2013/14 (can't remember).

Also, could corrupt OS be at fault too for pc not even starting?

I'm still monitoring things here...scared even now to shutdown and reconnect all my stuff.

Nate152
Well as you say you're having storms and power outages, this can cause a corrupted a bios. A corrupt OS could keep your pc from booting to windows but it should still start and let you in the bios.

You can replace the bios chip, I'm not sure exactly where it's located on your motherboard but it should be marked, it just pulls out with a special tool then you put the new one in.

Something like this only yours may not have the raised connector, it's not difficult to do. The reason for two bios chips is in case you have problems with one, you have a second as backup and as you can see it's a nice feature.

Start at 2:45

Nate152 wrote:
Well as you say you're having storms and power outages, this can cause a corrupted a bios. A corrupt OS could keep your pc from booting to windows but it should still start and let you in the bios.

You can replace the bios chip, I'm not sure exactly where it's located on your motherboard but it should be marked, it just pulls out with a special tool then you put the new one in.

Something like this only yours may not have the raised connector, it's not difficult to do. The reason for two bios chips is in case you have problems with one, you have a second as backup and as you can see it's a nice feature.

Start at 2:45

Thx for info Nate152.
Day 1....up and running (knock on wood!!).
Reflashed Bios, Copied Bios 2 to Bios 1 and also ran Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool and passed it.

After I shutdown later tonight, I'll try to start up the next morning, that way I'll know for sure if prob was fixed or not as prob seems to be prevalent after long shutdown hrs.

Sadly problem reoccurred.....however.

After a frightening dream I had in the wee hrs of the morning I couldn't get back to sleep...so I did some more research.
Came across this "RAMPAGE IV EXTREME - WILL NOT TURN ON" here on ROG forums (up til now I can't believe how I missed this thread) and found an interesting post that can possibly work for ppl experiencing the same exact issue with R4E. Here's the link http://youtu.be/OyNeP8Kkl9s

Workaround is a little wacky but it works!! A blow dryer...I kid you not!!!
I was watching this vid and reading the comments I got all excited and couldn't wait till for the sun to break out and try this thing.

At first, It didn't work when I used my old CMOS Battery , so I took 1 from my Mom's Blood Tester (gotta replace that tho!) fired up the Blow dryer and the Bloody thing work! I can't believe it. I mean, I had already changed my CMOS Battery with a New 1 and I didn't work but somehow the heat from the Dryer jump-started it. That explains why it work as soon as I get to the repair shop, the extreme heat trapped in my car somehow juiced the Mobo/CMOS Battery area.

Problem solved!! But will eventually have to replaced this Mobo as it has a big flaw. I just wanted to be sure It was the mobo and in the end it was.

Brathdari wrote:
Sadly problem reoccurred.....however.

After a frightening dream I had in the wee hrs of the morning I couldn't get back to sleep...so I did some more research.
Came across this "RAMPAGE IV EXTREME - WILL NOT TURN ON" here on ROG forums (up til now I can't believe how I missed this thread) and found an interesting post that can possibly work for ppl experiencing the same exact issue with R4E. Here's the link http://youtu.be/OyNeP8Kkl9s

Workaround is a little wacky but it works!! A blow dryer...I kid you not!!!
I was watching this vid and reading the comments I got all excited and couldn't wait till for the sun to break out and try this thing.

At first, It didn't work when I used my old CMOS Battery , so I took 1 from my Mom's Blood Tester (gotta replace that tho!) fired up the Blow dryer and the Bloody thing work! I can't believe it. I mean, I had already changed my CMOS Battery with a New 1 and I didn't work but somehow the heat from the Dryer jump-started it. That explains why it work as soon as I get to the repair shop, the extreme heat trapped in my car somehow juiced the Mobo/CMOS Battery area.

Problem solved!! But will eventually have to replaced this Mobo as it has a big flaw. I just wanted to be sure It was the mobo and in the end it was.

i got a Asus Rampage IV Black Edition Board, I know this problem its called "Soft Off State"

since your problem did get solved its good but i tried to solve my problem more easily.

Just Open the Battery and Bios Chips for 3min then put them back in and all fixed, your pc should boot...