New ROGer Array

G73JH i7 5870m black screen...

Hello everybody,

I have a kinda bad situation;

My very good friend has above laptop (ASUS G73JH - TZ014V with i7, 4x2GB RAM and 2x500GB HDD). He didnt clean it for ~8-9 years and recently in more demanding games, it started to struggle and even shutdown if not put on books to have free space between the laptop and the desk (=temp issue)

So I told him; its probably dust and old dried out paste at gpu+cpu cooler.
    I have repasted several other laptops before - never did I have any issue. Also I am quiet "good" when it comes to technical stuff etc. so I know how to open a laptop without breaking anything and work very careful and patient.

After repasting and cleaning the laptop, I put it back together and tried to boot but always received the following issue;

- completely black screen (in-Display / HDMI)
    - CPU Fan will spin for a millisecond before going into hold-state / GPU fan doesnt do this
    - after ~20 seconds, both fans will speed up to 100% and keep like this forever - until I disconnect the power

I have tried all kinds of things (removing anything else, switching RAMs, boot by using the Bios reset, etc. etc.) = no result.

The only thing that changed something is completely removing the GPU-Unit(Rev. 2.0 btw);

After hitting power button, the Laptop will instantly "boot". Fans immediately power up without the ~20 second delay
    This makes me think, if I somehow broke the GPU or maybe one of the VRMs on the Mainboard/GPU Unit.
    Another reason for this failure could be "corrosion"; I know of the "GPU baking" method to fix broken soldering. Maybe due to the age, I broke some old soldering.

Maybe one of you guys has an idea. It looks a lot like GPU failure especially after reading many threads in this forum but I dont want to give up hope.
    My last resort will be baking but I want to try everything else before because I know it wouldnt be a long term solution.

(I have switched/repaired tons of computers/hardware without ever breaking anything so it would be my first time )

P.S.: Its his only computer so I feel very guilty... :/

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

Sounds like you have everything correct. As you say, that model was known for flaky GPUs. You could try to see if there is a compatible GPU on Ebay. Unfortunately the format is slightly non-standard so it requires cutting the heat sink. Read this thread for more info:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thre...mation.641007/
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!