cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Important/Interesting Debug code 00 could mean faulty BIOS chip!

kittendoggie
Level 9
Dear friends,

I do not usually post here, but I though I should now, because my team and I discovered something interesting. We are motherboard refurbishers and went through some Maximus VI Hero boards recently. One of them had the dreaded 00 q-code issue. No matter what we tried, nothing would fix it. Until we tried another BIOS chip from another board of the same model. Problem gone. If you have the same issue, please feel free to message me and we can send you a BIOS chip preprogrammed with the latest BIOS of your motherboard. It is worth a try.
1 REPLY 1

R5Eandme
Level 12
Hello,

Nice of you to post your kind offer to help others with bad BIOS chips. I had a corrupt BIOS chip with Q-code 00 causing an endless boot-shutdown loop. Seems many others have had similar experiences. In my case it was the use of the COPY BIOSx to BIOSy utility that toasted the chip, but I think there may be other causes too. It should not happen as easily as it does. You can get replacement chips flashed with latest BIOS from www.bios-chip24.com, and they also sell blank replacement chips that can be programmed with an inexpensive EEPROM programmer if you use the device to read a BIOS chip memory image from a known good chip, then write it to the replacement chip. Easy to do with a dual bios chip motherboard. I have saved the BIOS bin file and can flash replacement chips as needed. Good luck!

Others have posted great information here:

BIOS 1 - BOOT LOOP WITH Q-CODE -00
UEFI BIOS Chip Recovery/Reprogram Guide
QUESTION REGARDING BIOS FLASH
and others.