cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't figure out good settings or how too have a stable overclock ..

Cory29
Level 7
I have tried every bios I can find on this page and overclock.net

bios from 503 to 603 and every bios in between

I have the latest chip set drivers and windows power settings from amd

When ever I try to overclock 3500 to 4000 manually or through ai suit I get nothing but an unstable mess in windows. It boots but programs will crash.

anyone else in this boat its driving me nuts I have played with every setting

when I boot into the uefi it jumps around from 4150 to 3600 on default (why?)

It seems like a power issue when I get into windows maybe from the ai suit not doing what was set in the bios or a power management is off. but the slightest overclock will hang or freeze or create blank screens and its driving me nuts

same with my ram
6 REPLIES 6

JHR1979
Level 7
Did you increase voltage when pushing up the MHz? If not, try different values, around 1,25V - 1,35V

When youre in the uefi, the MHz readout jumping is normal.

For the ram, set d.o.c.p on in the uefi.

EDIT: HAve not used the AI Suite myself, all in-windows overclocks i've done with the Ryzen Master software.

Ljugtomten
Level 9
First of all, do NOT try to OC both CPU and RAM at the same time if you don't know how much you can push either.

Begin with OC on RAM, you can first try D.O.C.P as JHR1979 suggested (it uses the XMP profiles).
If that fails (as it is very likely to do), navigate to http://www.overclock.net/t/1636566/asus-rog-zenith-extreme-x399-threadripper-overclocking-support and begin reading 🙂
In another thread, you can find tools to test memory stability to verify that your OC is stable.

I only do both individually I have been able to run cpu 4.0 at around 1.4 and run cinebench but after an hour or so it will restart or bug out

in 503 I had 3200 mhz running at 1.36 (default xmp is 1.35) I had issues with the LEDS and OLED disappearing so i went to firmware 10.0.013 and 0046 and my ram went to crap .. switched back to 503 and what ever was stable was no longer

no matter how I set it in windows It crashes the longest I have had was the desktop for about 4 hours I think but if I try to run a program or game it craps out after a while if it is able to start

I have tried almost everything in that overclock thread for the past 2 weeks

even if i just adjust the voltage up .01 and don't touch the clocks I boot to windows but everything falls apart after that

My friend has an ASrock board and his board just seems to work which adds to my frustration now

I spent 3-4 weeks returning this board with new-egg because of damage from the manufacture

0801 able to post to the full 3200 in my ram at 1.54v been stable testing for 2 hours

RGB Leds however are all set at max voltage can't change it with aura - firmware at 1.0.0.13 (will burn out if i keep them plugged in)

win some lose some ..

Cory29 wrote:
0801 able to post to the full 3200 in my ram at 1.54v been stable testing for 2 hours

RGB Leds however are all set at max voltage can't change it with aura - firmware at 1.0.0.13 (will burn out if i keep them plugged in)

win some lose some ..

Good to hear.
What RAM are you using, and how much of it?

RGB was the first thing I turned off on the mobo, so it burning out LED strips is of no concern for me 🙂 Only useful application is for keyboards to map different colors to keys depending on active application/game and event within application/game 🙂

I spoke to soon .. after doing a 12 hour burn in test (everything good) I restarted and ai suit had a fight with bios and all my settings went crazy .. the board is so good but the software ..what in the world is the software doing.. whats the point of an ai suit if its unable to talk to the uefi and back

the ai suit on my 6+ year old sandy bridge was never this bad

G Skill F4-3200C16-8GTZ - 64gb
@1.54
VTT @.8 from .75
digi profile extreme
current capability 130%
switching frequency 500khz