cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New build help- Cold boot.

kwaka
Level 7
Hi all.
Bit of a noob here. Having a problem with a purchased custom pc booting from cold.( Powered off at wall/plug.)
Starts ok if turned off and left in standby with the mains switched on.

First boot after switching on power all I get is a no signal from tv. The only way I seem to be able to rectify this is to force a shut down via holding the start button for 5 seconds. Wont even boot in to bios on cold first start.
It then reboots in safe mode with a message of ....post failed due to hardware OR forces shut down. Then click F1 to Bios enter set up and just hit save and it starts ok.
Future starts are fine unless I switch power off at the plug.
Any help / advice?
Bios problem or ram xmp???

Spec below. Also PC is warrantied but checking in with you guys first for help.

Spec.

i7 7700K
Asus strix Z270F (1009 bios).
16GB G.Skills Trident Z 3000htz. (set to 3000 in xmp by company)
250gb M.2 960 evo
500gb 950 evo
1tb Hdd.
Kraken X52 cooler.
Corsair HX750i
7 REPLIES 7

MacLeod77
Level 7
Have you tried turning off the XMP and seeing if that helps?

If it does that would confirm an XMP issue. It might then be worth looking at DRAM voltage (should be 1.35 i'm guessing).
If not it might be worth tweaking VCCIO and SA voltages by tiny amounts (too much voltage causes instabilty).

My mobo has done similar things, although I have always had the BIOS/POST screen come up. It's as if the monitor fails to autodetect once windows is booting. For the PC to not even POST it sounds to me more like a hardware issue.

You don't say if you have a graphics card? If your PC was prebuilt does it have a "void if broken" seal? If your retailer will allow you to open the PC you could maybe try to reseat components like RAM and Graphics card.

If it's not too much hassle to send it back it might be worth doing.. The PC should have had stress tests and issues like that dealt with.

Have you made any changes to the PC since you got it and was it failing to boot from the moment you got it?

Chino wrote:
What is the model of your PSU?

Is listed in the OP's PC specs: Corsair HXi 750
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

kwaka
Level 7
Emailed the company, and they suggested trying a different power cable and check for loose connections. ( Kernal power error????)

As for gpu its a asus strix 1080 ti. Didn't boot from out the box, so nothing I have done. Didn't display with hdmi plugged into motherboard either.

My guessing is the ram voltage as was raised to 3000htz in xmp.

Only fails to post and display after mains current has been cut. Starts if left plugged in.

The company will take it back as under there warranty.
I will not adjust any bios settings without there permission via remote or via phone instructions.

edit
As for stress testing. They run for about 3 hours before shipping. A restart then wouldn't have shown a problem. As wouldn't have been disconnected from the mains.
Having said that, it would have shown on initial post after being built I guess. Brings me back to the ram XMP profile. Unless something has got dislodged in transit. It was well packaged with expandable foam packet holding gpu in place.
I did check ram was seated before I switched it on for first time.

kwaka wrote:
Emailed the company, and they suggested trying a different power cable and check for loose connections. ( Kernal power error????)

As for gpu its a asus strix 1080 ti. Didn't boot from out the box, so nothing I have done. Didn't display with hdmi plugged into motherboard either.

My guessing is the ram voltage as was raised to 3000mhz in xmp.

Only fails to post and display after mains current has been cut. Starts if left plugged in.

The company will take it back as under there warranty.
I will not adjust any bios settings without there permission via remote or via phone instructions.

edit
As for stress testing. They run for about 3 hours before shipping. A restart then wouldn't have shown a problem. As wouldn't have been disconnected from the mains.
Having said that, it would have shown on initial post after being built I guess. Brings me back to the ram XMP profile. Unless something has got dislodged in transit. It was well packaged with expandable foam packet holding gpu in place.
I did check ram was seated before I switched it on for first time.

I would maybe seek permission from them to turn off XMP to see if that helps. It will certainly eliminate that one setting. The voltage setting is different to the speed. At 3000hz it should be 1.35v

The Strix z270 Bios has had a few issues for people through its various firmwares and I'm still not sure it's 100% on it's auto settings. There have been a few posts re cold boot issues and others about various voltage settings that don't work well on auto. (vccio and sa voltages).

The 7700k is also a tricky processor to overclock and keep temperatures at a reasonable level so at some point you will probably want to learn how to get the best out of the processor. I am assuming that you have no overclocking on the processor or graphics card? I would disable XMP and any overclocking to put the PC at stock settings. Disabling XMP is totally safe as the RAM will be set to operate at it's default setting. 3000mhz ram is just 2133 that is rated to run at 3000.

It could also be the HDMI cable; not that likely, but it's something simple to change without worrying about changing any settings.

Chino
Level 15
Check with them if the memory that they are using is from a single kit. Memory instability is a common cause of boot problems.

kwaka
Level 7
Hi all.
Just an update and possible solution.

Having sent the system back to the builder. They have cured the problem (fingers crossed).

After being plagued with the cold boot problem and having to force shut down and restart in safe mode via F1.
It turns out that when it restarts ok after that. It resets the Ram to default speed. Upon another warn restart after that it loads the XMP profile ok.

After a few days at the builders I asked and commented to them about the voltage fix for the ram. There response was that they have done that fix on a few ROG motherboards but were not happy doing them as when bios is reset or updated it goes back to the same problem and would rather find a more permanent fix.

A day or two later I contacted them again to find out more. Seems they had fixed it and done several cold boots and extensive stress testing and all if working fine.

Solution.

It seems the motherboard manual recommended Ram slots(A2/B2) are wrong. They swopped to the other 2 channels and not had the problem since.

So to anyone who has built on this motherboard and having cold boot (no post) after adding an XMP profile to the ram. Try swopping ram slots from A2/B2 to A1/B1. (if using 2 sticks of ram)

Hope this helps in some way for others having this problem.

kwaka.