cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NOOB Port Forwarding

Fist3365
Level 7
Hello to all, I am trying to figure out port forwarding and I just don't understand it all. I would appreciate any help with this.

I have an asus RT AC68U Wireless router and using an Asus PCIE AC68 Wireless card. The three games I am currently playing the most is Star Wars Battlefront, Battlefield 1, and COD WW2 PC BETA. I found the info on the EA website about which port numbers to use and whether they are a UDP or TCP. Even though I don't know what that means, I can still fill in the blanks on my router. I log into my router, click on WAN, Click the Port Forwarding tab, and then I don't know what to select for those.

Under the Basic Config section, what is Famous Server list, famous game list and FTP server port? I don't know what to select for these.

Under the port Forwarding List column:

Service Name? Do I just open up task manager to see which service runs when I open up the chose game and then put it in the service name space?

Source target? Is that where I put the port number for those three games?

Port range? I guess I would only put something in this space if I had multiple port numbers?

Local IP.... I actually know this one.

Local Port? How do I find that out?

Thanks again.
I7-6700k OC'd 4.6 // Asus ROG Maximus Hero 9 // ROG GTX 1080ti OC //Corsair LPX DDR4 32gb 3ghz // Corsair AX 1500i // 1tb Samsung 850 EVO // 256gb Samsung 850 PRO for OS // Windows 10 Home 64
2 REPLIES 2

Korth
Level 14
https://portforward.com/
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/12290412/when-is-port-forwarding-necessary
https://superuser.com/questions/284051/what-is-port-forwarding-and-what-is-it-used-for

Most users don't need to explicitly configure port forwarding unless the software (game/etc) explicitly requires a particular configuration.

It's usually all controlled by the software firewall. The router options you're looking through are basically a hardware firewall.

If your network already works, and (hopefully) your firewall software already works, there's no need to configure these things in hardware. They provide finer control over network traffic/packet management and security, but they also introduce complexity. If you don't really understand what you're changing and what those changes do then you can basically limit or "lock out" normal networking functions, and depending on the specific options in your router hardware it can be fairly involved. Just use the default settings, whatever they are.

You can configure forwarding (and firewall, etc) directly through your router and, theoretically, remain just as "secure" without running firewall in software - and this would free up resources on the computer itself. But in practice it requires frequent maintenance and reconfiguration, every little update to every little thing can "break" settings which currently work, and it's a bit of an annoyance to go through the router config again and again each time you want to install some other new software (game/etc) or access new network things. I find it it's not worth the effort when decent firewall software (even Windows Firewall, which is surprisingly excellent) just handles everything well enough, quietly and automatically or with a one-time "yes/no" sort of user prompt.

I've never seen "famous server" and "famous game" before ... they're probably quirky translations of settings which "make server/game visible to the network".
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
https://portforward.com/
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/12290412/when-is-port-forwarding-necessary
https://superuser.com/questions/284051/what-is-port-forwarding-and-what-is-it-used-for

Most users don't need to explicitly configure port forwarding unless the software (game/etc) explicitly requires a particular configuration.

It's usually all controlled by the software firewall. The router options you're looking through are basically a hardware firewall.

If your network already works, and (hopefully) your firewall software already works, there's no need to configure these things in hardware. They provide finer control over network traffic/packet management and security, but they also introduce complexity. If you don't really understand what you're changing and what those changes do then you can basically limit or "lock out" normal networking functions, and depending on the specific options in your router hardware it can be fairly involved. Just use the default settings, whatever they are.

You can configure forwarding (and firewall, etc) directly through your router and, theoretically, remain just as "secure" without running firewall in software - and this would free up resources on the computer itself. But in practice it requires frequent maintenance and reconfiguration, every little update to every little thing can "break" settings which currently work, and it's a bit of an annoyance to go through the router config again and again each time you want to install some other new software (game/etc) or access new network things. I find it it's not worth the effort when decent firewall software (even Windows Firewall, which is surprisingly excellent) just handles everything well enough, quietly and automatically or with a one-time "yes/no" sort of user prompt.

I've never seen "famous server" and "famous game" before ... they're probably quirky translations of settings which "make server/game visible to the network".

Thanks for the informative response Korth... I'm gonna take your advice and leave things as they are since everything works. Just figured I'd try to squeeze every ounce of performance out of my wireless system, but it doesn't sound worth the trouble.
I7-6700k OC'd 4.6 // Asus ROG Maximus Hero 9 // ROG GTX 1080ti OC //Corsair LPX DDR4 32gb 3ghz // Corsair AX 1500i // 1tb Samsung 850 EVO // 256gb Samsung 850 PRO for OS // Windows 10 Home 64