Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown
    Mouse Asus Sica
    Mouse Pad "And God said ... <Maxwell's equations> ... and there was light."
    OS Win 10 x64 Pro
    Accessory #1 Asus USB 3.1 A, StarTech USB 3.1 C PCIe adapters
    Accessory #2 Syba 1394A/B Firewire PCIe adapter PEX30009
    Accessory #3 Asus OC Panel I

Quote Originally Posted by Korth View Post
    Well, on the plus side, a surface-mounted SOIC isn't going to have thru-hole leads which can connect to anything in other/hidden layers, lol. So soldering a socket or breakout in place is no big deal. (Btw, you can get SOIC8 carriers with black PCBs which would look much better on black gaming mobos, lol.)

I prefer (re)programming chips out of circuit whenever possible. And I prefer swappable socketed packages for these whenever possible. But, to be honest, I tend to swap BIOS very infrequently unless the project is all about tinkering with the board itself - and I haven't seen any of these BIOS chips fail (yet) in "normal" use, so I expect needing to replace "non-replaceable" parts isn't a real issue.
    I haven't thought about the SOIC chip connecting only to surface PCB traces but you must be right about that. A surface trace pattern from chip to header (1 2 across, then down, then 3 4 across, then down, etc) would be possible with that chip oriented the way it is. I never understood how multi-layered PCB traces can work reliably but I guess they do most of the time, lol.

I am glad that BIOS chip failure is rare. But I did destroy the backup chip on the R5E simply by using the ASUS BIOS Copy utility! The fact that several vendors supply pre-programmed replacement BIOS chips tells you that it happens to the unlucky more often than getting hit with lightning.