cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Strix GTX1070 8G - Temperature spikes recently, should i Worry?

mojo187
Level 7
Hello, Firstly I apologize if this is yet another same topic with the other people having the same or slightly different issue.

So, i got this GPU few months now, after overclocking it and content with the highest clock speed i can get, which is:

Core: 1880 (+45)
GPU Volt: +100
Mem Clock: 9000 (+992)
FAN: 100%
Powertarget: 120%

For couple of months, the temperature on Full GPU load (98 - 100%), temperature stays at constant: 68° - 72° (Overclock) 66° - 68° (Gaming). Just recently about 1 week now, temperature spiked up to 69° - 75° sometimes it will go 80° (more or less the same on Default boost). I have not added anything new or change any fan setting and configuration, im from Asia, ambient temperature is between 28° - 32° day and 26° - 30° ( Room temp would be 24° - 26° (no A/C).) When this started to happen, theres a noticeable in game stutter and decrease in performance in FPS and i notice my GPU throttled when it goes over 70°, before this issue no throttling notice even it passed 70°. Weather has not changed as well (monsoon season = Rain = Cool)

Is this normal or should i RMA the card? anybody else experience the same issue? beginning to think i really did got a Bad Card from the beginning.:(

Thanks again
13 REPLIES 13

panzlock
Level 12
So the spikes are something that occurred after you used the card for some time?

How long do these spikes last? Are they momentary or does the temperature take a little while to come back down like, 10 seconds or more after the spike? How often do they occur when the VGA is under load? Do they also occur when the card idles?

Are all the fans on your VGA working properly and consistently? All other fans working properly and consistently, such as your case fans and even CPU fan(s)?

You have good airflow through the case?

Ambient temperatures consistent?
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

mojo187
Level 7
hi, thanks for replying my post

So the spikes are something that occurred after you used the card for some time? - Yupe, about 1 week now. when gpu usage is at 99% load especially

How long do these spikes last? Are they momentary or does the temperature take a little while to come back down like, 10 seconds or more after the spike? How often do they occur when the VGA is under load? Do they also occur when the card idles?
- It last until the card crashes, Temps come backs down pretty normal like usual i would say about 10 second to drop to 44°c (my normal idle temp). it occurs everytime i load a game (Currently im playing witcher 3 heavily, ultra/1080p/2-3hours usually, since the temp spikes, i barely can reach 1 hour before it crashes) I havent notice it occurs when it is idle.

Are all the fans on your VGA working properly and consistently? All other fans working properly and consistently, such as your case fans and even CPU fan(s)?
- Yes, all fans working as usual i've double check again before replying. X52 fans working as intended and i even put the fans to 100% when i game to ensure sufficient air to come in. 2 x 120mm stock fan case exhaust top+back running 100% as well.

You have good airflow through the case?
- Yes, i assume that before this temp spikes on my GPU, my CPU and GPU both was running consistent Temps. I also tried adding 1 additional fan infront of the GPU to add more direct air towards it, it helps for a bit drop about 1° - 2°c, however i notice my GPU now crashes even when its about 72°c more frequently. I mean it crashes ALOT.

Ambient Temps - ive not notice any changes in my room or apartment. I generally use my PC at night specifically after i worked Graveyard shift. so at night its about 24° - 28°c now.

Oh and ive also tried using the stock GPUtweak mode, OC and Gaming. It reaches about the same Temps as my OC. weird.......

BTW - Driver: 385.69. Vbios: 86.04.50.00.63. Have not made any changes before or during the Temp spikes.

If you continue getting high temps I think you should RMA the card unless you're comfortable changing the heatsink compound yourself (voiding warranty as a result). That's the only other thing I can think of that might be causing higher temps after a few months use.

Anyone else have any ideas?

panzlock
Level 12
How are your CPU temps for comparison? And what kind of temps are you getting under that Kraken? THis will give me a better idea of what your case air flow is like.

And does this happen when playing all games or certain games in particular? Which games do you play, exactly?

Also, try stressing the GPU using Unigine Valley and set the fan to 100%. Use this OC guide for the 1070 that Nate made: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?86398-Strix-GTX-1070-Overclocking-Guide&highlight=1070

I want to see what temps you get under load using this software.

panzlock
Level 12
One last thing I thought of. When did these temp spikes start occurring? Would you say around the time you updated to Nvidia's latest driver? If so try rolling back to a driver that was stable.

Hi again Panzlock
panzlock wrote:
How are your CPU temps for comparison? And what kind of temps are you getting under that Kraken? THis will give me a better idea of what your case air flow is like.

And does this happen when playing all games or certain games in particular? Which games do you play, exactly?

Also, try stressing the GPU using Unigine Valley and set the fan to 100%. Use this OC guide for the 1070 that Nate made: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?86398-Strix-GTX-1070-Overclocking-Guide&highlight=1070

I want to see what temps you get under load using this software.

- For CPU while gaming (Witcher 3) and Heaven, Temps are normal as before about 48° - 51° during gameplay. Idle will be sitting around 34° - 38°. Regarding with case flow, If you see my spec, im using S340 Elite
x52 Push config front mounted:
2x AER-P 120mm CFM: 90ish each
2x120mm Stock 120mm FN v2 NZXT fans, CFM: 43ish each
Airflow: GPU 100% spin, Back pcie slate slots mesh draws air un-restricted in.

Im sorry im not at home at the moment so i cant include any screen caps, but ive followed Nate's OC guide from the beginning.
Heres my OC values:
Core: 1880
Mem: 9000
VOLT: 100%
Target V: 120%
Temp: 92°
Fan: 100%
Temperature: Previous = 68° -72° / New = 75° - 78°/80°
Temper Glass on and just minus 2°c with panel off. Time duration for it to go up that high like few seconds.
With the recent spike, i cant even reach 1 hour before it crashes. Noticeable random drop in FPS and stutter during gameplay. Using Stock Setting helps but temperature is still higher then before

panzlock wrote:
If you continue getting high temps I think you should RMA the card unless you're comfortable changing the heatsink compound yourself (voiding warranty as a result). That's the only other thing I can think of that might be causing higher temps after a few months use.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Yeah, im really considering it now, what i found out to RMA my card here most probably will take 1 to 2 months and probably longer. The After service here suck big time. Im calling the Service center and no one is picking up or even replying my emails/text messages.
What i can tell is, when i was checking the GPU while it was running , i accidently put a little pressure at the edge of the heatsink shield, the temp dropped by 2° - 3°. This was constant and i can replicate it each time i apply a little pressure on it. Thermal pad or Paste issue?

panzlock wrote:
One last thing I thought of. When did these temp spikes start occurring? Would you say around the time you updated to Nvidia's latest driver? If so try rolling back to a driver that was stable.

It occurred suddenly, i did not update or rolled back any driver.

mojo187 wrote:

What i can tell is, when i was checking the GPU while it was running , i accidently put a little pressure at the edge of the heatsink shield, the temp dropped by 2° - 3°. This was constant and i can replicate it each time i apply a little pressure on it. Thermal pad or Paste issue?

That is most likely the problem, then. The thermal pipes do not make solid contact and/or the thermal paste applied is ineffective, most likely because of poor application.

As I mentioned before, you could purchase and reapply better thermal paste which should resolve this. However disassembling the card would void warranty, therefore your other option would be to RMA. I'll let someone know you're having a tough time getting a hold of ASUS staff.

mojo187
Level 7
I think i will consider what will be the best option for me to RMA or apply it myself. The wait time is not something i can deal with since my RIG is also use for my means of making $$, i have a few work which dateline is coming up but loosing the warranty is also a big deal since this GPU is really New (3 months). In Malaysia, The Asus Service center is Sub-contracted out to a third party establishment, so yeah.....not much hope of great support there. Thanks for taking the time to at least hear out and give me a some troubleshooting guide. Have a good day to you and thanks again panzlock.

panzlock
Level 12
No worries. Good luck with the RMA.

And if you have a decent CPU with an IGP you can still use your PC for work. Won't be the same, I know, but at least it's something.