Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange issue with memory

Deran
Level 7
Hello,

I have a strange issue with my memory.
I build a system with the Asus Zenith Extreme, Ryzen Threadripper 1950X and
this 128GB Kit from G.Skill: Ripjaws 4 F4-2800C15Q2-128GRKD.
This memory is listed in the QVL.
With cleared CMOS I can boot the system with 4 modules in the dark grey slots (A1, B1, C1, D1).
The memory clock is set to 2133MHz and I see 64GB of RAM.

If I put in 1 more module the system won't boot. It beeps 3 times and turns off.
If I boot with 4 modules I can get into the BIOS. There I changed the following setting:
Advance\AMD CBS\DDR4 Common Options\DRAM Timing Configuration\Overclock from Enabled to Auto.

Then I put 1 more module in slot A2 and the system boots, but with a total memory of 48GB.
If I put another module in slot C2 the system boots again, but with a total memory of 32GB.
And with the 7th module in slot B2 the system boots with a total memory of 16GB.
I can see all 7 modules in the BIOS under Tool\ASUS SPD Information.
With 8 modules it didn't boot.

Maybe it's something very simple and someone can help me.

So far I tried the following:
I checked all 8 memory modules with MemTest86. They seem to be ok.
Reseated the CPU.
Manually upped the Voltage for RAM to 1.4V.
Manually upped the CPU SOC Voltage to 1.3V.
Manually entered the settings for memory Clock and timings.
Gear Down Mode Enabled/Disabled.
Power Down Enable Enabled/Disabled.
Cmd2T 1T/2T.
Changed DRAM Current Capability to 130%.
Changed DRAM VBoot Voltage to 1.4V.
Tested with BIOS 0503, 0603 and 0803.

I can't remember what else I have tried.

Any ideas?
Can someone explain me, why I can change memory settings under Extreme Tweaker and under Advanced\CBS?

Today I have tested it with a second board and CPU. Same results.

Another thing is the CPU_Ready/CPU_Status LED.
On both Mainboards it does nothing. Is this LED working for someone?

Edit: Sorry, tested with BIOS 0801, not 0803.
7 REPLIES 7

leyabe
Level 8
Deran wrote:
Hello,
Another thing is the CPU_Ready/CPU_Status LED.
On both Mainboards it does nothing. Is this LED working for someone?

I am seeing the exact same thing and I was about to post my issue as a new thread (couldn't find anything else in the forum about this):
My CPU_READY LED does nothing, like there is no power to it. It just never worked, from day one. My computer boots just fine though, even though the CPU_READY LED never comes on, whether the power is on, off, computer powered off, sleeping or active. Not red, not green, nothing at all.

Should I, and the OP as he's seeing the same problem, be worried that something else or something bigger may not be working as it should?

(Also note the manual refers to it as "CPU_READY" but on the motherboard it is labeled "CPU_STATUS".)

leyabe wrote:

My CPU_READY LED does nothing, like there is no power to it. It just never worked, from day one. My computer boots just fine though, even though the CPU_READY LED never comes on, whether the power is on, off, computer powered off, sleeping or active.

I can't believe that this is a hardware related issue, because I have 2 boards and 2 CPUs here.
On both boards the LED does nothing. How big is the chance to get 2 boards with the same symptoms?

Has no one an idea what can cause my memory issues?
Yesterday I got it working with 96gb for a short moment. I rebooted and gone was my RAM.
I didn't do anything special.

Deran wrote:
I can't believe that this is a hardware related issue, because I have 2 boards and 2 CPUs here.
On both boards the LED does nothing. How big is the chance to get 2 boards with the same symptoms?

Thanks for this, it really helps. Agree with you, unlikely to have two boards with exact same issue so it might be by design and only an oversight in the manual (as I stated before the manual even has the name wrong too); actually three boards if you count mine, but two boards owned by the same person and showing the same behavior is highly unlikely I would think.

Thanks again.

leyabe wrote:
My CPU_READY LED does nothing, like there is no power to it. It just never worked, from day one. My computer boots just fine though, even though the CPU_READY LED never comes on, whether the power is on, off, computer powered off, sleeping or active. Not red, not green, nothing at all.

Anyone from ASUS can confirm whether this is normal or not that the CPU_READY LED never lights up on this board?
(Also note the manual refers to it as "CPU_READY" but on the motherboard it is labeled "CPU_STATUS".)

ramin_rostami
Level 7
for thrradripper you need

min 750w power with 2*8 cpu special connector(normal pc have 1*8)
example
coolermaster full mudular 750W

you need E ATX case , bigger than ATX
example
cougar ponzer case

important = 2 single channel ram NOT dual ,,,, 4*dual channel ram NOT quad so you must use real 4 quad channel ram(4 ram in 1 box writen quadchannel on it ) , not 4* dual channell*
in ryzen you must use only *dual channel , never never use 1*single channel ram , your system cant start , even start will give you tiny freeze

example true ram for threadripper
gskill ripjaws4 2800 4*4*

example true ram for ryzen and all other amd
geil evo x 3200 2*8
or
gskill RGB 3200 2*8

Guys follow the link about Mem issues

https://community.amd.com/message/2826804#comment-2826804

Please open a ticket to Asus suport and also to AMD...

@ramin_rostami you are wrong

example

NO, min power is 650w depending on your Workstation workload, if haven't a hungry game card yo don't need 750w, some x399 have 1*8+ 1*4 connectors

example
cougar ponzer case

NO! there are x399 MB with ATX form factor

important = 2 single channel ram NOT dual ,,,, 4*dual channel ram NOT quad so you must use real 4 quad channel ram(4 ram in 1 box writen quadchannel on it ) , not 4* dual channell*
in ryzen you must use only *dual channel , never never use 1*single channel ram , your system cant start , even start will give you tiny freeze

NO!!!! RAM is RAM! RAM have specifications like other parts, you can have IC,pcb, Mhz, CL difference into Single, Dual, Quad kit but dimms are not aware about memory channels! CPU are responsible for drive channels!
Some kits are validated under QA and stop!

I updated my profile with more details

ramin_rostami wrote:
for thrradripper you need

example

I have this PSU:
Be quiet BQT P9 Pro 750W
It is a few years old, but it has two P8 connectors (1 x 8 Pin, 2 x 4 Pin) for the Motherboard.
I measured the power during Startup. The maximum peak is 233W. I know there could be a very short peak which I can't measure.
When running the system needs 130W-190W without any load.

example
cougar ponzer case

I use a Thermaltake Kandalf, 10 years old, but it's E-ATX.

example true ram for threadripper
gskill ripjaws4 2800 4*4*

example true ram for ryzen and all other amd
geil evo x 3200 2*8
or
gskill RGB 3200 2*8

It is not explicit printed on the box, but this RAM is listed in the QVL.
And on the G.Skill Page you can see under specifications, that it is Quad Channel:
https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-2800c15q2-128grkd

BenjaAS wrote:
Guys follow the link about Mem issues

https://community.amd.com/message/2826804#comment-2826804

Please open a ticket to Asus suport and also to AMD...

Already done that to Asus.
Not very succesfully until now. I'm awaiting a second Response.

NO!!!! RAM is RAM! RAM have specifications

I agree, this is something I will never understand.
There is a so called DDR4 "Standard", but maybe it runs, maybe not.
My car needs diesel, maybe it runs, maybe not.