aafloey
Level 7
Hello. I've just got new parts for my computer:

ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Extreme Socket-AM4
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Prosessor
Corsair Dominator DDR4 3200MHz 16GB
Corsair Hydro Series H80i v2
Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2 PCIe SSD

My problem is that it randomly shuts down, and gives the q-code 8. When this happens, it get's stuck in a restart loop where it try to boot for 2 seconds and then fails, and restarts again. I must click the psu off and wait for some time, and then i starts normally again. To begin with at first, I did not even get in the bios. But when i updated the bios it got better, and I could use it for some time, before it randomly shuts down again. Any suggestions to what is causing this?

A second question, where do I find the xmp profile for my ram in bios? 🙂
5 REPLIES 5

_OJR_
Level 7
This sounds to me like RAM instability.

What is the exact model of your RAM? Can you also post your BIOS settings? The extreme tweaker section please.

After hours of troubleshooting, it seems to be the gpu card that is causing this. And in a very strange way.
If I drop using the thumb screws for holding it in place to the cabinet, the computer works fine. If I use the screws, the computer randomly starts shutting down again
ending up in a restart loop, before I cut the power. My thoughts are maby the pci-e port are faulty? (I used the same gpu card in my old computer for over a year).
Or is it really something with the gpu card causing this? Also, when the screws are in use and i give the cabinet a little kick, or tramping with my foot on the floor
making vibrations, the computer shuts down...

What are your thoughts?

RAM: http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/dominator-platinum-series-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-dram-3200mhz-c16-memory-kit...

image of tweaker section is attached.

'[OJR wrote:
;677860']This sounds to me like RAM instability.

What is the exact model of your RAM? Can you also post your BIOS settings? The extreme tweaker section please.

That looks like it's all at stock/default.

Do you have a spare GPU to test with?

Found the problem, there was a screw on the cabinet that I did not see touching the motherboard. So when tightening the gpu, that made it touch the screw. 😛
Removed the screw, and now everything works fine 🙂

But I'm still wanting some advice with the ram settings, so I get the right mhz...?