cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freeze on Internal GOP configuration

leyabe
Level 8
Hi,

I have a monitor (DisplayPort) and a TV (HDMI) connected to my PC.
The BIOS Advanced\Internal GOP Configuration options allow me to select which of those (labeled DPF_1 and DFP_4 respectively in the BIOS), but whenever I make a change the displays go black for a few seconds, then when the display comes back on the computer is frozen and I need to reset. No mouse/keyboard input.

I find that this happens less frequently when Secure boot is set to "Other OS" (happens maybe 1 out of 4 times) as opposed to "Windows UEFI" (always happens), but it happens anyways.

Any clues? Anyone else seeing this? Please let me know.
5 REPLIES 5

leyabe
Level 8
Bumping this one up. I'd like a little help on this one, at least confirmation that this is a known issue or that it affects other people than just me. Can anyone reproduce?

Threadripper 1950X and AMD RX Vega 64 GPU. Can anyone use the GOP configuration setting and switch display without the computer freezing up?

gupsterg
Level 13
leyabe wrote:
Anyone else seeing this?

I can recreate issue. It does not matter if Secure Boot is on or off and/or Other OS or Windows UEFI mode selected. I will get freeze of system changing between DPF_1 and DFP_4. Only option is to reset PC, upon resetting it may show UEFI set to DFP_4 but there will be no display output on HDMI, only Display port (DPF_1).
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

gupsterg wrote:
I can recreate issue. It does not matter if Secure Boot is on or off and/or Other OS or Windows UEFI mode selected. I will get freeze of system changing between DPF_1 and DFP_4. Only option is to reset PC, upon resetting it may show UEFI set to DFP_4 but there will be no display output on HDMI, only Display port (DPF_1).

Great, thanks a lot for confirming, I'm not alone with this problem.
I have also reported it to ASUS using the bug report form, hopefully this will help with getting this issue resolved.

ASUS, is there any update on this issue? I tried many other BIOS versions, currently on 0902, and this is still happening.

I narrowed down the issue down to the CSM setting.
Currently on 0902 (although the issue was present with 0703, 0801, 0804 too), if I set CSM to Disabled the issue appears. Nothing else changed from the default UEFI settings, just set CSM to disabled, restart, then check GOP configuration and it freezes when changing the setting.

Setting to CSM is kind of required anyways, because I have no GOP configuration setting at all unless CSM is set to disabled. It's like the setting is hidden without CSM disabled.

I also noticed that it doesn't happen all the time, yesterday I was able to change the settings once without the computer freezing. Every other attempt (between 10 and 15 total) resulted in freezing, even though the configuration was the same in all cases.