Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OC Profiles oddities..

OrionBG
Level 7
Hey guys,

New C6H owner here.
I have a question or two.
After playing with my RAM speeds and finding that it can't do its rated 3200MHz (G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB kit Samsung D-dies) on my Ryzen 1700, I have decided to play with the CPU until my new RAM arrives in several days.
Since this is my first ROG motherboard, I was overwhelmed by the sheer amount of settings in the BIOS (especially the Zen section where I have no clue what most of things are for). So I have decided to do the most noobish thing and use the OC profiles 😄
I directly used the 4GHz profile and to may complete surprise, the system booted without problems and was rock stable for more than an hour of stress testing. The Noctua NH-D15 is a god-sent! The CPU was at 64 - 65 degrees the whole time during the tests. Goes down to about 32 - 35 idle.
I've been reading threads in many sites that 4GHz on a 1700 (without X) is very rare bird...
So my first question is the 4GHz OC profile safe to use as is? (CPU Voltage with this profile is at Auto and it is about 1.395V - 1.41V)
My second question is who was the "genius" that actually programmed those profiles in the BIOS? Why would that profile change things that are completely unrelated to the CPU/System Overclocking/Stability? Settings like Boot Logo, CSM Compatibility Mode and a couple more...
2 REPLIES 2

AfterShock
Level 9
what is the part number of your gskill? I've gotten a few different sets to work for people by setting the ram speed to 3200 and setting the voltages and saving the bios settings then going back in to manually set the timings. If I do all the settings at once and try it the settings will fail. I've never messed with any of the oc profiles just for that reason, many changes that are irrelevant. You should try setting your oc manually and adjust your voltage to match what your getting now. that 1.395 - 1.41 sounds pretty normal for chips that will actually hit 4ghz but auto voltage on these boards is random. I've seen cpuz reporting 1.55v on my system at 3.9ghz for no reason at all.

AfterShock wrote:
what is the part number of your gskill? I've gotten a few different sets to work for people by setting the ram speed to 3200 and setting the voltages and saving the bios settings then going back in to manually set the timings. If I do all the settings at once and try it the settings will fail. I've never messed with any of the oc profiles just for that reason, many changes that are irrelevant. You should try setting your oc manually and adjust your voltage to match what your getting now. that 1.395 - 1.41 sounds pretty normal for chips that will actually hit 4ghz but auto voltage on these boards is random. I've seen cpuz reporting 1.55v on my system at 3.9ghz for no reason at all.

My RAM is with part number F4-3200C16D-16GVK (if this is the part number...)
Either way I've ordered the TridentZ RGB 3200MHz CL14 16GB kit so I'll have the unique opportunity to kill some SPDs and swear at ASUSes QVL 😉