cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cold Boot Issues

tsx028
Level 7
Hey guys, brand new build here. I have an interesting issue. I can't not get a single cold boot to work... Everytime I start off a cold boot it will get to where it normally starts to load the OS but then it goes black and goes into a windows repair loop.

Now, if I boot into the bios and let it sit for 3-5 minutes and then just exit without changing a thing it boots perfectly fine and will run perfect for as long as I need (I have left it on for days at a time.)

All settings are stock speeds and no overclocking.

i7 7700k
1080's SLI
16GB 2400mhz (8x2)
EVGA 850w PSU bronze 80
256GB SSD/2TB HDD
Asus Maximus Hero IV

Games and everything runs perfect as if there are no problems, its just trying to boot after its been off for a while.
It restarts fine. Will boot fine after being turned off for a short period of time.

It sounds like something needs to literally warm up before it can boot all the way...

I am not EXTREMELY computer savvy, enough to build a PC and do some pretty basic overclocking.

Thanks in advance for any responses 🙂
7 REPLIES 7

Chino wrote:
What is your memory kit's model?

CMK16GX4M2A2400C16

It is Corsair Vengance LPX, I do believe i remember seeing it on the compatibility list for my the Maximus Hero

redone13
Level 7
Perhaps something to do with memory training? Try fiddling with MRC fastboot and MCH fullcheck. Also check what mode Maximus Tweak is on. It's bizarre that it is happening at 2400MHz and stock settings. If all else fails, maybe Memtest the sticks to rule out the RAM.

redone13 wrote:
Perhaps something to do with memory training? Try fiddling with MRC fastboot and MCH fullcheck. Also check what mode Maximus Tweak is on. It's bizarre that it is happening at 2400MHz and stock settings. If all else fails, maybe Memtest the sticks to rule out the RAM.

Maximus Tweak is set to "Auto".

Both MRC Fastboot and MCH Fullcheck were set to auto, I have set them to "Enabled" and will see if that changes anything tomorrow morning (a simple reboot or turning off for short time does not recreate the problem.)

tsx028 wrote:
Maximus Tweak is set to "Auto".

Both MRC Fastboot and MCH Fullcheck were set to auto, I have set them to "Enabled" and will see if that changes anything tomorrow morning (a simple reboot or turning off for short time does not recreate the problem.)

My understanding of MRC Fastboot is that you are skipping memory training if you enable it. You only want to do so once you are sure your memory settings and sticks themselves are stable so try disable first. MCH Fullcheck will cause the system to reboot, retraining the memory until it is stable. Disabled will likely result in a failure to post if something is causing instability.

What I had to do to stop the double boot is go into bios and stop the OC settings. Just turned off the memory overclock which by default is set to auto. XMP is another choice there to verify you are in right place. I set mine to manual and now no more double boots. On down side no more overclock of memory either but I don't notice any difference. I am running Samsung nvme, i9 12 core, and 32 G of ram.

Tolem
Level 7
Is there any other fix for this? I'm having this problem as well with a Z270 Maximux IX HERO and 32GB gskill F4-3200C14D-32GTZSW.

I was running low on ram so I changed from G.SKILL TridentZ 2 x 8GB DDR4 3200 (F4-3200C14D-16GTZR) to G.SKILL TridentZ 2 x 16GB DDR4 3200 (F4-3200C14D-32GTZSW) after verifying it was on the QVL list for the Z270 hero.

It posts fine when BIOS is defautled, but the second you enable XMP or manual overclock to XMP settings then it will not cold boot and you need to unplug the power, drain the capacitors, apply power and then boot.

Once booted everything is stable.

I refuse to not overclock (these are overclocking components that you pay a premium for after all) and will do this cold boot dance until I upgrade my system if needed. But it is such a hassle to not be able to walk up and simply power on your computer.