cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just oredered the ASUS HYPER M.2 x16 PCIe Expansion Card

Mavtop
Level 7
So some initial observations without actually holding this device in my hands.... to go with my Rampage VI Extreme board

I will be doing all sorts of testing with this board, including backwards compatibility with my X79 Rampage IV Black Edition, and with the new Rampage VI Extreme

1. I will be testing if raid 0 works for non-intel drives, if bootable or not, and report back to this thread
2. Will be testing speeds at 1, 2, 3, and 4 drives, possibly more depending on when my wife figures out where $1200 a month is going to ssds
3. Will be testing optane modules in 3 and 4 drive raid 0 to see if bootable
4. May try to raid drives from the card to the DIMM.2 slot and see if possible since both should be direct to cpu

5. anything else you guys want me to try I'm down for it. The only thing is time, and lots of money.

6. I also wanted more m.2 slots as I felt like 3 wasn't enough for the Rampage VI Extreme, even at 2TB a piece.

Best,

Mavtop
25 REPLIES 25

Brighttail
Level 11
I would be interested in knowing about this. From the BIOS I noticed you could chose VROC drives or non-vroc drives when using this card. From there presumably you could create a bootable RAID 0 drive off the PCH lanes, but you will be limited to the 3.5GB/s ceiling i'm sure. Friends who have the APex was able to RAID two drives on two different DIMM.2 cards, so he was RAID 0 with one drive off the CPU lanes and one off the PCH, which was interesting.

I only tested one m.2 in the R6E and the speeds through the CPU lanes were just fine, so I'm curious about RAID 0 making just a data drive and the speeds.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

Brighttail wrote:
I would be interested in knowing about this. From the BIOS I noticed you could chose VROC drives or non-vroc drives when using this card. From there presumably you could create a bootable RAID 0 drive off the PCH lanes, but you will be limited to the 3.5GB/s ceiling i'm sure. Friends who have the APex was able to RAID two drives on two different DIMM.2 cards, so he was RAID 0 with one drive off the CPU lanes and one off the PCH, which was interesting.

I only tested one m.2 in the R6E and the speeds through the CPU lanes were just fine, so I'm curious about RAID 0 making just a data drive and the speeds.

Exactly why I want to test what actually works with the Rampage VI Extreme and add in card.

The closest thing I found online that could raid multiple m.2 ssds is the "http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA_new/CS-product_nvme.htm"

But that costs $399, the VROC card only costs $55, but could theoretically yield the same results.

I'm trying to see if I could make this work for less, but will likely just buy the Optane main drives when it comes out. More IOPS is better responsiveness I guess, but we will see.

Mavtop wrote:
Exactly why I want to test what actually works with the Rampage VI Extreme and add in card.

The closest thing I found online that could raid multiple m.2 ssds is the "http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA_new/CS-product_nvme.htm"

But that costs $399, the VROC card only costs $55, but could theoretically yield the same results.

I'm trying to see if I could make this work for less, but will likely just buy the Optane main drives when it comes out. More IOPS is better responsiveness I guess, but we will see.

Honestly, with the x99 platform I was able to use Intel's Software Raid and get close to 7gb/s with two samsung 961sm in Raid 0 for seq read. I imagine I can do pretty close to the same with the Rampage 6 Extreme. Of course you can't boot off of it. If this card you have listed would make it possible to boot and keep those speeds in RAID 0 or even RAID 10 (without that silly intel dongle) it might be worth it to some.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

Mavtop wrote:

Do you still need a VROC key to boot from that card?

Ljugtomten
Level 9
That card seems awesome, too bad you don't have a X399 system 😉

I believe you need to set your x16 PCI-E slot into 4X4X4X4X mode for it to be able to use more than one M.2 on the card, I know that can be done on a Zenith Extreme motherboard.

toronto699
Level 13
I posted some questions about this card in the Desktop thread don't know if my GD30CI supports the card
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?96497-ASUS-VROC-M-2-x16-PCIe-Add-in-Card-On-a-GD30CI

Brighttail
Level 11
According to a PC gamer I just read it will only work on these motherboards:

• ROG Rampage VI Extreme
  • ROG Rampage VI Apex
  • ROG Strix X299-XE Gaming
  • ROG Strix X299-E Gaming
  • Prime X299-Deluxe
  • Prime X299-A
  • TUF X299 Mark 1
  • TUF X299 Mark 2

G75rog
Level 10
I am using this and a second pcie x4 card to run 2 additional 2TB NVME drives on my Maximus VIII Extreme.
I'll add more drives to the Hyper when I move it to the Rampage Vi Apex.

Hello colleagues of the Forum and forgive my way of expressing myself because I am Spanish, I do not speak English and I am using a translator.
I am looking for and can not find anywhere, the test readings of 4 x Optane 32gb in Raid 0, I want to put them with ASUS HYPER M.2 x16 PCIe in VROC boot
I leave an image of the 3 x Optane readings in Raid 0, but I am looking for the 4 x Optane readings in Raid 0, many thanks and regards.