Thread: AC5300 woes

ROG Member Array

Unhappy AC5300 woes

I just bought a RT-AC5300 in Singapore as a tourist, when i came back to my country all was working fine until i tried to connect my printer using WPS. since then the router started shutting off wifi. I did few factory resets, re uploading of most current firmware. but always the same, sometimes the router wouldn't boot until i reset NVRAM and in the end wifi doesn't work.

Do you have any advise for me? since i am not in Singapore now RMA will be a problem.

Thanks

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array haihane PC Specs
    haihane PC Specs
    MotherboardCrosshair V Formula Z
    ProcessorAMD FX 8350
    Memory (part number)Gskill F3-2400C10-8GTX
    Graphics Card #1ASUS HD 6950
    Storage #1WD Velociraptor 1TB
    Storage #2Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB SSD
    CPU CoolerCooler Master Seidon 120XL
    CaseCooler Master Silencio 650
    Power SupplyCorsair HX850
    Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB
    Mouse Logitech G500
    OS Windows 7 X64
    Network RouterLinksys E2500

what does the system log say about that?
    log into your router -> System log -> General log -> maybe copy paste it here?
    no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

ROG Member Array

after a day with the power off (cable out) it managed to do the wizard with the wifi on.... when wizard was done the wifi went back off... i will try getting the log after another reset once i get less emo about this router lol

ROG Member Array

I managed to get my router back to life. but the 2.4ghz band doesn't work (not broadcasting and led is dark). i tried changing settings in the 2.4ghz tab, but nothing helps... the 2.4ghz remains without mac address and chan't choose a channel.

in wireless log 2.4ghz doesn't appear, here is a general log after a fresh reboot:
    AC5300routerlog.zip

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array haihane PC Specs
    haihane PC Specs
    MotherboardCrosshair V Formula Z
    ProcessorAMD FX 8350
    Memory (part number)Gskill F3-2400C10-8GTX
    Graphics Card #1ASUS HD 6950
    Storage #1WD Velociraptor 1TB
    Storage #2Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB SSD
    CPU CoolerCooler Master Seidon 120XL
    CaseCooler Master Silencio 650
    Power SupplyCorsair HX850
    Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB
    Mouse Logitech G500
    OS Windows 7 X64
    Network RouterLinksys E2500

disclaimer: i maybe way in over my head about this. the initial reason i asked was because i kind-of experience some problems with my own RT-AC87U router. it's an inferior model to yours, yes; i initially thought the firmware should be similar enough (since in practical business sense, having firmwares being too different from each other across different models cost too much money), so maybe i could use my log and compare it with yours to give some hints on what's happening on both our routers.

i opened both your syslog and mine side by side:
    i have a wireless printer too, an epson LX 365 which is connected wirelessly to the RT-AC87U. what's different from yours is that when i first set it up, it was through a USB connection. several steps into the epson wizard, and i get the window to enter the wifi-ssid and password. this is when i know the printer would remember the ssid internally after the setup is done. plugged out the usb, turned the printer back on, tried wireless printing, everything worked (and still works) fine.

i avoided using WPS whenever i could, due to my inherent and perhaps irrational fear about that feature.

like you, i had problems with my own ASUS router prior to firmware update. it manifested when the router nagged me to update firmware. it was working flawlessly before, no matter how much load was thrown into it (4 people using it at any given time, along with their devices) . currently it's on firmware 3.0.0.3.380.7743 <- this firmware caused me some annoying inconveniences: abrupt restarts, killing all connections along with it. i had to wait for it to reboot for the network to re-establish itself.

i'm not a coder by any means, but... wthell, i thought. if we're gonna get ASUS to do anything, then i figured i better do the legwork than just entirely relying on them to fix this PoS (Piece of S***). some things i noticed between both our logs:
    - when both our routers starts failing, this line keeps popping out:
    Quote Originally Posted by amnon23e's router
    Aug 1 00:00:37 ntp: start NTP update
    Oct 6 02:06:28 rc_service: ntp 876:notify_rc restart_upnp
    Oct 6 02:06:28 miniupnpd[874]: shutting down MiniUPnPd
    Oct 6 02:06:29 miniupnpd[892]: version 1.9 started
    ... (took liberty to omit the rest of the logs)
    but notice one thing, your router started its restart on 02:06:28, and from the log, i presume it finished shortly afterwards.
    Oct 6, 05:16:10 -> 05:22:32 ----> it starts ****ting out tons of texts, most of which i have no idea what that means. but i know this line when i see it
    "Oct 6 05:22:32 rc_service: httpd 2650:notify_rc restart_wireless"

when this line comes out on syslog, say bye bye to your wireless connection. then more kernel DROP happens (i have no idea what this is), until i suspect the router forced a restart.
    Oct 6 05:24:17 rc_service: httpd 2650:notify_rc reboot
    Oct 6 05:24:18 iTunes: daemon is stoped
    Oct 6 05:24:18 FTP Server: daemon is stoped
    Oct 6 05:24:18 Samba Server: smb daemon is stoped
    Oct 6 05:24:18 kernel: gro disabled
    Oct 6 05:24:18 Timemachine: daemon is stoped
    Oct 6 05:24:18 WEBDAV Server: daemon is stoped
    Oct 6 05:24:18 NAT Tunnel: AAE Service is stopped
    Oct 6 05:24:18 NAT Tunnel: AAE Service is stopped
    Aug 1 03:00:13 syslogd started: BusyBox v1.17.4 <- and back it goes to Aug 1. i use this as my own router's bookmark. when i see the dreaded Aug 1, i know this piece of crap restarted itself.

the next thing i noticed was: your log timestamps was much longer than mine for every restart. the errors present in your router are worse than mine. my router could go back and re-enable wireless and wired if i waited long enough, but yours seem stuck with all the errors, and then it tried to restart itself again. this went on until Oct 6 05:51:56. look at your own log -> rc_service: wpsaide 534:notify_rc start_wps_method. looking at it, and by pure guessing, it seemingly tells me that it tried to restart WPS over and over and over but failed and tried and failed and tried and failed and tried till it gave up and it just attempted to restart everything at Oct 6 06:25:21 rc_service: httpd 548:notify_rc reboot.

this vicious cycle kept going on and on and on :/

i guess, just as a temporary measure. disable WPS entirely, and factory reset again with just one computer connected to it. see if that makes anything better, look at the log for any irregularities.
    no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array Korth PC Specs
    Korth PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS X99 R5E (BIOS2101/1902)
    ProcessorHaswell-EP E5-1680-3 SR20H/R2 (4.4GHz)
    Memory (part number)Vengeance LPX 4x8GB SS DDR4-3000 (CMK32GX4M4C3000C15)
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Graphics Card #2NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Sound CardJDS Labs O2+ODAC (RevB), USB2 UAC1
    MonitorASUS PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSDs, 4xSATA3 RAID0
    Storage #2Comay BladeDrive E28 3200GB SSD, 8xPCIe2
    CPU CoolerRaijintek NEMESIS/TISIS, AS5, 2xNH-A14
    CaseObsidian 750D (original), 6xNH-A14
    Power SupplyZalman/FSP ZM1250 Platinum
    Headset Pilot P51 PTT *modded*
    OS Arch, Gentoo, Win7x64, Win10x64
    Network RouterActiontec T3200M VDSL2 Gateway
    Accessory #1 TP-Link AC1900 Archer T9E, 1xPCIe
    Accessory #2 ASUS/Infineon SLB9635 TPM (TT1.2/FW3.19)
    Accessory #3 ASUS OC Panel I (FW0501)

Quote Originally Posted by haihane View Post
    i avoided using WPS whenever i could, due to my inherent and perhaps irrational fear about that feature.
    Hey, you're way more fearless than me. My irrational fear doesn't get as far as WPS because it's still rejecting the whole premise of "security" and "wireless network" being compatible concepts.
    "All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Banned Array JustinThyme PC Specs
    JustinThyme PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VY-DH72
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Memory (part number)64GB DDR4 8x8 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3800 MHz @ C17
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1GHz
    Graphics Card #2ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1Ghz
    Graphics Card #3ROG Nvlink
    Graphics Card #4Have to feed animals
    Sound CardExternal Audioengine D1 24 bit 192kbps DAC
    MonitorASUS PG348Q @ 100Hz
    Storage #1Intel 905P 480GB U2 flavor
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1TB X2 in RAID 0, 960 PRO 1TB DIMM.2_1
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite 8X LL120 PWM, 3X LL140 PWM, 12 SP120 PWM 1x AF140 PWM
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    Mouse ASUS Spatha, Logitech MX Master
    Headset Sennheiser HD 700
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine A5+ with SVS SB-1000 Sub
    OS Win10 Pro 1809
    Network RouterNetGear NightHawk X10
    Accessory #1 NetGear Prosafe 10GBe Switch
    Accessory #2 Qnap TVS-682 NAS modded with I7 CPU

Quote Originally Posted by Korth View Post
    Hey, you're way more fearless than me. My irrational fear doesn't get as far as WPS because it's still rejecting the whole premise of "security" and "wireless network" being compatible concepts.
    That will get better as AD becomes mainstream. Not because of any security protocols but simply because you pretty much must maintain line of sight and no pesky obstructions like say.....A WALL!