cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

502vs laptop undervolting CPU and GPU went wrong?

rolllooo
Level 7
Hi, I ve tried to undervolt my laptops CPU and GPU with Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and MSI Afterburner acording to tutorials from this forum. Users are vely glad with undevolting and describe that performance in Firestrike test go up from 12200 to 14000 and temperatures not exceed 70 degrees. I has set with core voltage drop into -0,150V and for GPU I,ve taken curves from user upload file in this forum. I ran firestrike and suprisingly notthing happened- teperatures still go to 80 degrees and score is same as before undervolting. WTF? Maybe it is lazy cooling fans (i can't configure speed of fans- their are control automatically) or something block undervolting process?

Best regards
13 REPLIES 13

FastM
Level 8
Need more info,

Need to see a screen shot of GPU-Z after a firestrike run.

btw, with my GL702VS I am able to boost the fans a lot and it definitely makes a difference. something else to considered would be a laptop cooler.

what mV and Mhz is your GPU curve set to?

Bran187
Level 9
Also try running the stress test in XTU before and after undervolting. You should definitely see a drop of at least a few degrees under just a CPU load. My results for undervolting alone were pretty lackluster as well, especially when taxing both the CPU and GPU.

In my case the results really only started to show through when undervolting and disabling turbo boost. I think this is very much one of those 'your results may vary' situations.

I have the GL502VMK

For me the MSI part of undervolting does not make a difference in temps, so I have that uninstalled.

As for CPU I have it at -100mV anything over that does not decrease temps by anything more than a few degrees, but absolutely destroys my performance if I go past -105.

So my temps from a 10 min CPU stress test were:

Test 1
Throttlestop: Off
Turbo:On
Fan @: Max
CPU:86c
Power Limit Throttle: Yes

Test 2
Throttlestop: Off
Turbo: Off
Fan @: Max 71c
Fan auto @ 4000rpm: 74c
Power Limit Throttle: No

Test 3
Throttlestop: On -100mV
Turbo: On
Fan @ Max: 77c

Test 4
Throttlestop On -100mV
Fan @ Max: 64c
Fan auto @ 3300rpm: 68c

Test 5
Throttlestop: On -105mV
Fan @ Max: 76c

Test 6
Throttlestop: On -105mV
Fan auto @ 3300rpm: 67c

Test 7
Throttlestop: On -115mV
Fan @ Max: 74c

Test 8
Throttlestop: On -115mV
Fan auto @ 3300rpm: 67c

Now this was a controlled little test because I wanted to see what did what in regards to temperatures.
So stock base temp was 86c, then with simply turning turbo off it dropped to 74. With -100mV & turbo off it dropped to 68c, which I was very happy with. Naturally I started up a game with a -115mV offset because it was my lowest controlled temp, but the impact it had on performance was noticeable for me so I brought it to -100mV and it was the perfect setting.

In game temps are another story, running BF1 on the "Optimized Settings" from dice at the native resolution my temps are, CPU 75c GPU 75c with MSI undervolts on or off. As for fan speed it doesn't go above 45% which is 3300rpm. Switch up the game to PUBG, on low-med settings temps go to 80-85c for both CPU and GPU and fan is at 100%, if I run PUBG with turbo on temps reach 90c+ which I don't like.

So best thing you can do to control temps is to turn turbo off. Also don't run Throttlestop or XTU at the same time.

Hope this helps you and other people understand things a little better 🙂

Bran187
Level 9
Damnit Eljefeuno, you just made me need to redo a bunch of benchmarks. XD (I'm only joking, I'm glad you made me notice it.) There is definitely a performance hit that is happening on my 7700hq as well when undervolted. I never noticed it in games (because it is only a few FPS), and in cinebench my scores actually went up when undervolted.

But I just reran my a few of the benchmarks without my undervolt of -0.14 mV and my scores have gone up by as much as 13%.

I guess I should have removed my UV before benchmarking, but I just never thought of it as something that could impact the numbers. 😛 I suppose I could fine tune my UV to see at what point the performance degradation, but for the purposes of these benchmarks I suppose it would be best if they were performed completely stock.

EDIT: The further I get into retesting, it looks like some games/benchmarks saw a hit others performed almost identically. Strange. lol I guess I must depend on how CPU intensive/how the program utilizes the CPU as to whether there is an impact. Either way, the fact that even one was impacted justifies retesting.

Also sorry for kinda hijacking this thread. Eljefeuno's post just got me thinking/made me retest and I found the results to be very interesting. 😛

Hi, thanks for yours replies. I see now that I have to carry out complex test for yours diagnostics. I had asus rog gaming center on my 502vs but it was some limited version (without fan control, only presets with various color, brighteness and something else for different gaming experience). I had to reinstall OS from clean bootable pendrive so I don't have gaming center anymore. Now I can't find any program to set fan boost in this laptop (gaming center is not availible on the ASUS's support website)- every program which I've tried have blocked fan control icon (for instance MSI afterburner). What I've noticed is that laptop during firestrike is more silent after undervolting so I suppose thah it works somehow and computer can keep low RPM of fans. Unfortunatelly driver allows to reach 80 degrees on CPU and GPU and keep this temepratures which I suppose throttle especially GPU. Of course, if I raise a load system RPM rise to even 3200 r/min and laptop is very loud. At this moment it is my supposition not supported with any tests. What is interesting that my 502 preffer to rise a little idle temeprature (to 50 degrees) in order to keep silent work... Somehow preference (maybe on bios) is shifted to silent work, no performance.

Best regards

rolllooo
Hi, thanks for yours replies. I see now that I have to carry out complex test for yours diagnostics. I had asus rog gaming center on my 502vs but it was some limited version (without fan control, only presets with various color, brighteness and something else for different gaming experience). I had to reinstall OS from clean bootable pendrive so I don't have gaming center anymore. Now I can't find any program to set fan boost in this laptop (gaming center is not availible on the ASUS's support website)- every program which I've tried have blocked fan control icon (for instance MSI afterburner). What I've noticed is that laptop during firestrike is more silent after undervolting so I suppose thah it works somehow and computer can keep low RPM of fans. Unfortunatelly driver allows to reach 80 degrees on CPU and GPU and keep this temepratures which I suppose throttle especially GPU. Of course, if I raise a load system RPM rise to even 3200 r/min and laptop is very loud. At this moment it is my supposition not supported with any tests. What is interesting that my 502 preffer to rise a little idle temeprature (to 50 degrees) in order to keep silent work... Somehow preference (maybe on bios) is shifted to silent work, no performance.

The thing with fan control was weird for me as well. It wasn't until I reinstalled windows and all the ATK packages along with gaming center that I had fan control... who knows maybe I downloaded the one for the VM, not VMK, or they updated gaming center. That is something I notice too, temps while idle are in the 40-50 range it fluctuates a lot.. and browsing on chrome right now its at 48.

Bran187
Damnit Eljefeuno, you just made me need to redo a bunch of benchmarks. XD (I'm only joking, I'm glad you made me notice it.) There is definitely a performance hit that is happening on my 7700hq as well when undervolted. I never noticed it in games (because it is only a few FPS), and in cinebench my scores actually went up when undervolted.

But I just reran my a few of the benchmarks without my undervolt of -0.14 mV and my scores have gone up by as much as 13%.

I guess I should have removed my UV before benchmarking, but I just never thought of it as something that could impact the numbers. 😛 I suppose I could fine tune my UV to see at what point the performance degradation, but for the purposes of these benchmarks I suppose it would be best if they were performed completely stock.

EDIT: The further I get into retesting, it looks like some games/benchmarks saw a hit others performed almost identically. Strange. lol I guess I must depend on how CPU intensive/how the program utilizes the CPU as to whether there is an impact. Either way, the fact that even one was impacted justifies retesting.

Also sorry for kinda hijacking this thread. Eljefeuno's post just got me thinking/made me retest and I found the results to be very interesting. 😛

Yep some games aren't noticeable but others it is noticeable. For me my bench mark scores with a -100mV and turbo off turned up a higher score than stock.

Ok,i ve checked MSI afterburner during gaming and what is strange voltage is still adjusted to default curve - somehow the driver ignore my curve setting. Have I unlock something in MSI afterburner? I can set voltage/frequency points freely and save and upload presets but it is all.
Other question is why I have blocked possibility of turbo boost disable function in Intel Extreme Tuning Utility? I upload pictures to show what I have mean.

best regards

rolllooo wrote:
Ok,i ve checked MSI afterburner during gaming and what is strange voltage is still adjusted to default curve - somehow the driver ignore my curve setting. Have I unlock something in MSI afterburner? I can set voltage/frequency points freely and save and upload presets but it is all.
Other question is why I have blocked possibility of turbo boost disable function in Intel Extreme Tuning Utility? I upload pictures to show what I have mean.

best regards

With MSI I have no idea why it isn't allowing you to change voltages, do you have the check mark in setting ticked that allows adjustable voltage?

And IMO the best way to turn turbo off is with Throttlestop or This way https://www.tautvidas.com/blog/2011/04/disabling-intel-turbo-boost/

Hi, I manage to succeed- MSI was trivial- I followed some tutorial step by step and they wrote that you have to set a curve and possibly save as a preset. They forget to write that you have to confirm changes with a button on main control panel- I've noticed it accidently. All this confusion cause my shallow minding. 😉 I can turn off the boost by windows power supply setting after register changes. At this moment I can have a turbo all the time (it is present even on idle) or shut down constantly. Is it ok that processor isn't adjusted to current needs of power? If nok how to manage it?