cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

strange temperature reporting and cpu heating up

Lightbringer
Level 7
Hi all,

got myself a rather strange problem with my rig.

You can see my full specs listed under my name, so i won't post it all again here.

Every now and than and seemingly fully randomly, AIDA64 extreme will start reporting a CPU temperature of -37c. Wenn this happens, the motherboard temperature readout dissapears completely. it is not a problem of AIDA, because i have my BIOS controlling my CPU and case fans. Wenn the problem occurs, they slow down to the bare minimum, because the BIOS thinks my CPU is -37c.
At the same time, the CPU starts heating up like crazy, even if i am not doing anything with it. I know this because wenn i miss the signs (not looking, because busy watching twitch), the PC will eventually crash and restart. I then load in the BIOS and it reads about 80c on the CPU.

I have my RGB leds configured through AURA to diplay colors based on the CPU temperature.
When the problems comes up, all my lighting changes to RED instantly, implicating AURA thinks my CPU is above 60c.

So the following happens completely random:
- AIDA64 stops reading Motherboard temps (it doesn't even show as an item in the overview)
- AIDA reports the CPU temp being -37c and stays like that, no changes
- AURA makes my LEDS light up red, as they should do wenn temps reach 60c or above
- My fans slow down to a bare minimum, because the BIOS thinks my cpu is an ice cube.
- CPU starts heating up even under no lead at all, to the point that it reaches the failsafe temperature and makes my pc restart
- After restart, my BIOS reports cpu temps about 80c and falling. CPU temps will settle on about 42c after a while, wich is normal.
- sometimes, after crash and restart, my CPU and/or case fans will be stuck at full speed, no matter the temperature of the CPU. For this to be resolved, i need to shut down, cut power, drain power from the system and start up again.

I updated the bios to the latest one and i'm running a fully stable tested OC on the CPU using a P0 state of 3,9 GHz with an VCORE offset of +0,035
I've set LLC to level 2 and AIDA reports a Voltage of 1,42 under full load
The memory is running on 3066 Mhz (anything above that wont post)

I'm at a loss here.

i'm starting to think my MB or CPU might be faulty.

Anybody got an idea?
13 REPLIES 13

Lightbringer
Level 7
anyone?

i can't figure out what's going on.

tommiboi
Level 7
Am guessing this sofware related. What software do you use to controll the fans. Far as i know AIDA doesnt controll your fans.
Try more, Try harder, Try and previal

tommiboi wrote:
Am guessing this sofware related. What software do you use to controll the fans. Far as i know AIDA doesnt controll your fans.

Thx for your reply.
I use AIDA only for monitoring. My fans are controlled by q-fan control in the BIOS.

tommiboi
Level 7
Check asus suite options for the of controlling fans. I find the Q-fan in bios only relavant for my water pump header. The Asus stuite also has the monito functions.

Hi all,

after some more testing and TommiBoys remark about the problem being software related, i tried to keep AIDA not active.
The problem did not happen again so far, so it might be something about monitoring software messing everything up.

Can this be?
The reason why i got AIDA in the first place, was of HWMonitor an HWCpuid crashing randomly and even causing crashes in games.

Ideas anyone?

tommiboi
Level 7
HWMonitor could be this is not optimized for the new hardware you using. Check if they have a new version.

tommiboi wrote:
HWMonitor could be this is not optimized for the new hardware you using. Check if they have a new version.

So, i tried different monitoring software and noticed the following issues:

CPUID: program Crashes ramdomly
HWMonitor: Program Crashes Randomly
HWInfo: complete system crash after 2-5 minutes. (System stops responding. Hard power cut neccesary)
AIDA: doesn't crash but occasionaly meeses up my temp readings (see problme described above)
Ryzen Master: apart from slowing my system, it makes the same issues appear as AIDA does

I'm at a complete loss. Why can't i use monitoring software without messing up my system? Can it be an issue with AURA also reading my CPU temps? Or even maybe MSI Afterburner?

tommiboi
Level 7
Hi,

Did you overclock your system ? Is the Asus suite software up and running ? It should a have a monitor function as wel. But I dont have a ADM cpu or so here stops my common knowledge of these things.

Sorry..... Maybe set your question at the motherboard topic of Asus.

tommiboi wrote:
Hi,

Did you overclock your system ? Is the Asus suite software up and running ? It should a have a monitor function as wel. But I dont have a ADM cpu or so here stops my common knowledge of these things.

Sorry..... Maybe set your question at the motherboard topic of Asus.

Thx for the help Tommiboi! no need to apologize 🙂

First of all, i absolutely HATE AI Suite, because the program is just plain out crap.
And even if i wanted it, it doesn't even run. It Installs and then it will just not run. It doesn't even pop out an error. It just refuses to start.

I do have an OC on my Rig:
Ryzen 1700x running @ 3900 mhz (using P-state OC)
Memory running on 3066 mhz
Strix 1080TI OC running on +70 clock speed and +200 memory speed.

The OC is stable, tested a lot by stresstest and everyday gaming. No issues, no crashes.

Just as soon as i start any (CPU) monitoring software, my system starts acting really weird.