Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    2

    Core voltage not reaching adaptive voltage value

    Hi, I've been following the Kaby Lake Overclocking Guide at http://edgeup.asus.com/2017/kaby-lak...356.1505971699

    I've followed the part where it says to input the voltage you would like to supply the CPU in the additional turbo voltage field, and to set IA DC and AC load lines to 0.01. However when I do this my core voltage does not seem to reach that value, even under load. I'm not sure if it's a problem with the sensor programs I'm using not reading it right, or if I am not understanding it correctly. For instance right now I've set it to adaptive and additional turbo voltage to 1.33 volts. When I look at Aida64's sensors during the stability test it shows my CPU core voltage being around 1.296-1.31. CPU VID is showing ~1.36 during the test. I don't think it is a power supply issue or anything since I can use manual mode to set the exact voltage and it shows up correctly. Is this normal behavior? The guide says it should be staying near what you set when the load lines are 0.01.

  2. #2
    ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array NemesisChild PC Specs
    NemesisChild PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Maximus X Hero (WI-FI AC)
    ProcessorIntel i7 8700K
    Memory (part number)G.Skill F4-3600C16D-16GTZR
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti FE
    Graphics Card #2Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti FE
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 970 PRO 512GB NVMe M.2
    Storage #2WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache
    CPU CoolerNZXT Kraken X42
    CaseCooler Master HAF 932 Advanced
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
    Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech G703 Wireless
    Headset Logitech G Pro
    Mouse Pad SteelSeries
    OS Windows 10 Home x64 (UEFI)
    Network RouterLinksys WRT1900AC
    NemesisChild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Reputation
    89
    Posts
    1,788

    I suggest monitoring the CPU voltage with HWMonitor or CPU-Z.

    What program are you using to stress your CPU under load? Have you tried using RealBench?

    You could also try setting LLC to 5 or higher versus it running on Auto (default).
    Intel i7 8700K@ 5.2GHz (Delidded)
    ASUS Maximus X Hero (Bios 1801)
    NZXT Kraken X42
    G.Skill TridentZ@ 4000MHz CL16 2x8GB
    SLI: 2x Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti FE@ 2025/2025MHz
    OS: Samsung 970 PRO 512GB NVMe M.2
    Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVMe M.2
    Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
    Storage: WD Black 7200 RPM 64MB Cache 2TB
    EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced

  3. #3
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    2

    Quote Originally Posted by NemesisChild View Post
    I suggest monitoring the CPU voltage with HWMonitor or CPU-Z.

    What program are you using to stress your CPU under load? Have you tried using RealBench?

    You could also try setting LLC to 5 or higher versus it running on Auto (default).
    Thanks, I do have HWinfo and CPU-z to check it with as well. I have been using the Aida64 stability test, at least for looking at this problem since realbench takes a while to start and stop. I tried changing the load lines starting at 1 and found that level 4 seems to keep my vCore around 1.328-1.344 when I've set adaptive voltage to 1.330. When load line is set to auto the vCore is about 1.312, and will drop to 1.296-1.288 during the stress test. I'm guessing maybe this is the VDroop people talk about. Does this sound like the correct way to approach this? Also my VID is 1.335. My understanding is the VID is the voltage the processor requests from the power regulator?

    Edit: One other thing I've found is that with load line set to 5, I've been able to pass 30 mins of realbench at X48 multiplier and 1.25 V. Before I needed about 1.32 or 1.34 V to pass it and below that would fail within 30 minutes. Setting LLC to auto and adaptive to 1.34 gives me vCores of about 1.28-1.31, which is higher than 1.25. Obviously I can't really draw a conclusion until I run the test for a longer time, but I'm not quite sure why it's now passing.

    Another edit: I found out tonight that EVGA Precision X can cause the lexmark process to crash in realbench, and after disabling it i've noticed my stress tests being more stable. So this might be why it's now working under lower voltages than before
    Last edited by paulrg; 10-09-2017 at 06:42 AM. Reason: More info

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •