cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS IX Hero Cold Start

Metknott
Level 7
Hello, new guy and build here. I have a problem with either the motherboard or something else in my computer. When I press the power button usually for the first time of the day:

The power button lights up
The motherboard lights turn on
Sometimes the water pump lights turn on
Monitor remains black (power is turned on)
Keyboard and Mouse lights do not light up (unless I hit a button on the keyboard, then the keyboard will either light up or rapidly pulse like its having a heart attack)

I usually have to cycle power on it once or twice, then the monitor logo will appear on the screen, and I can start the computer normally. I've been Googling around trying to find others with this same problem and how they fixed it, and it seems to not work for me. I have made sure my BIOS is up-to-date, fast boot turned off, correct drive order. I just don't know what else it could be. If anyone could help, that would be awesome. Build below:

NZXT S340 Elite Case
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS IX ROG (x270)
2 x DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws V 8GB (placed in the 1 and 3 slots per documentation)
Intel Core i7-7700k (no overclocking)
Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 250GB (operating system is on this device)
Seagate Barracuda 4TB HDD
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW2 Gaming iCX
NZXT Kraken x62-02
Redragon Gaming Mouse
Logitech G15 Keyboard
ASUS PCE-AC68 Dual-Band Wireless-AC1900
ASUS VG248QE Gaming Monitor
15 REPLIES 15

Nate152
Hi Metknott

Welcome to the ROG forum.

My first thought is...

If you're killing power to the board, meaning turning the psu switch off or unplugging it from the wall after you shut it down, you'll get a double boot the next time you start it which is normal. If power is kept to the board it should start on the first boot every time.

The problem is after I shut it down at night, the next morning when I turn it on, I have to cycle the power multiple times for the computer to actually load. Meaning I do not get the option to go to the BIOS at all, nothing on my screen, just blackness. I am currently on the computer as I am typing this reply, but today I had to cycle the power a total of 6 times before I could have the option to go to the BIOS or even sign into Windows. I'm actually thinking about just leaving the computer on from now on without turning it off, but I know that's not that great either.

NemesisChild
Level 12
What PSU are you running?
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

Chino
Level 15
Does the system halt with a specific QCODE on the DEBUG LED? If so, what is the code? And do any of the QLEDs remain lit?

I forgot to list my PSU in the specs. It's a EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 80+ Gold.

When the computer is off I get a Q-Code of 00, which is normal. When it's on I get either a 40, A0, and sometimes 80.

Nate152
Code A0 = Windows has loaded and everything is working normal.
Code 40 = Wake from the S4 sleep state.
Code 80 - This is not a common code and I'm not sure what it could be pointing to.

Disconnect all usb devices except your mouse and keyboard, you could try another keyboard if you have one.

When you have to recycle it, does it ever give you an overclocking failed message ? - Press F1 to enter UEFI bios settings.

Have you reset the bios to defaults ?

Would you have another psu to test with ?

Nate152 wrote:
Code A0 = Windows has loaded and everything is working normal.
Code 40 = Wake from the S4 sleep state.
Code 80 - This is not a common code and I'm not sure what it could be pointing to.

Disconnect all usb devices except your mouse and keyboard, you could try another keyboard if you have one.

When you have to recycle it, does it ever give you an overclocking failed message ? - Press F1 to enter UEFI bios settings.

Have you reset the bios to defaults ?

Would you have another psu to test with ?

Should I be getting a Q-Code of 40? I have sleep turned off for personal preference. Maybe I'm not fully understanding what a S4 sleep state is.

Only USB device I have/the only devices connected to the computer are my keyboard and mouse.

I don't have it overclocked, but I do get the ASUS ROG logo at the start with the wording "Press F1 or DEL to enter UEFI BIOS settings"

The first day I completed this build this problem happened. I reset it then, but it still is happening.

I do not have another PSU to test with.

Bump

Nate152