cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory QVL list?

Nerror
Level 7
Hi there, I am trying to find a memory QVL list for the Maximus X Hero (WI-FI AC) I ordered. On the product page they direct me to asus.com, but I can't find any list there.

The RAM I am curently looking at is this: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16GB 4000Mhz (CMK32GX4M2F4000C19). It being a high-end Corsair kit I'd be surprised if it isn't on the QVL list, or at least compatible, but I would like to be completely sure because it's a bit pricey.

Addon question: I am going for the 8700K, delidded, thermal grizzly conductonaut, OC to 5Ghz thing, and I am wondering if there's a chance I'll actually be able to hit the 4000MHz on the RAM, or if I need to set my sights a bit lower. I understand the CPU is a factor as well, and setting the correct VCCIO and SA voltages and other settings manually, it's not just the motherboard.

Edit: Found it - https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-X-HERO-WI-FI-AC/HelpDesk_QVL/
15 REPLIES 15

Nate152
Hi Nerror

Welcome to the ROG forum.

Yeah 4000MHz is hit or miss and you'll need a good cpu, I'd suggest going with 16GB as you'll have a much better chance of hitting 4000MHz, if it can't do it you can always run it at a lower speed.

If you want to play it safe and you're stuck on 32GB go with 3200MHz - 3400MHz.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Nerror

Welcome to the ROG forum.

Yeah 4000MHz is hit or miss and you'll need a good cpu, I'd suggest going with 16GB as you'll have a much better chance of hitting 4000MHz, if it can't do it you can always run it at a lower speed.

If you want to play it safe and you're stuck on 32GB go with 3200MHz - 3400MHz.

Where did you find this information regarding what (Coffeelake) CPU can do 4000Mhz?
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone wrote:
Where did you find this information regarding what (Coffeelake) CPU can do 4000Mhz?

What makes you think coffeelake can't run ram at 4000MHz ?

He's using the i7-8700k which the i7's (usually) have a stronger IMC than the i3's - i5's.
The Maximus X Hero supports up to 4133MHz.

G.Skill is producing up to 4600MHz kits for coffeelake and in this article they have an i5 (which I imagine is the 8600k) running 32GB at 4000MHz with the Maximus X Hero, this should settle any doubts you may have.

http://wccftech.com/gskill-ddr4-trident-z-4600-intel-coffee-lake-z370/

According to the article, what I posted was actually conservative.

Nerror - Do you have your 32GB kit running at 4000MHz ?

Menthol
Level 14
I was able to download the QVL list from the support page, as Nate says the 16gb modules are tougher to run at high speeds than the 8GB modules, on the Hero a 4X8 GB kit would have a better chance running those speeds than a 2X16GB kit

Thank you both 🙂

As usual it comes down to money vs speed I guess. 4x8 GB at 4000MHz is more expensive than 2x16, but has a better chance at higher speed. Or I could just go for one of the 3200MHz kits instead and not worry about overclocking it. I shall sleep on it! 😛

Does the amount of modules, 2 vs 4, (let's say they all run at 3200 MHz) affect the possible max CPU overclock?

JustinThyme
Level 13
Keep in mind that speed isnt everything in throughput. Latency plays a part as well. Before buying check the QVL and compare slower sticks with lower latency.

Latency/speedx1000=commit time in milliseconds where less is more.

Chino also did a nice write up recently with a lot of effort and time spent on testing high speed memory. Thanks @Chino

His conclusion?
In the end its not worth the rediculous prices and you are better off going with something slower and budget by how much you need and not how fast.
I opted for 3800 Mhz corsair dominator in a new build even though it supports to 4200MHz. Why? My 8x8 64GB kit was right under $1000. 64GB 4200MHz kit is $300 more for the Gskill trident. They have a Corsair Vengeance 4200Mhz kit that is actually less but I steer clear of the vengeance modules as every one Ive tried ended up being sent back as they wouldn't even run at the default speeds of the mobo let alone the XMP profile.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Oh, yeah, I found the product page and the QVL, but I had to use google to find it. Asus' own internal search doesn't show the Maximus X Hero on the site for me, nor is it listed in the dropdown menus. I'll update OP.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-X-HERO-WI-FI-AC/HelpDesk_QVL/

Nerror wrote:
Oh, yeah, I found the product page and the QVL, but I had to use google to find it. Asus' own internal search doesn't show the Maximus X Hero on the site for me, nor is it listed in the dropdown menus. I'll update OP.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-X-HERO-WI-FI-AC/HelpDesk_QVL/

They are working on the website layout again. This always has a learning curve. What I suggest is once you find your product page, bookmark it.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein