cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG STRIX GL502VM Battery charger Blue screen issue

AnthraxB
Level 8
I have some problems going on with my gaming laptop, all of which resulting of getting a BSOD at the end of each one. One of the events that cause this most of all is when I've plugged in my charger, it starts to freeze up and Blue screen as a result.

I might have a huge suspicion that This one element is basicly the core due to all of my crashes, Everytime I try to charge my battery It'll just simply freeze up and bsod without any warning.

But that's not the only problem on all of this, There's also this strange way booting issue I have when my battery charge is up 9% or higher. It'll just refuse to boot, starts to loop the same logo over and over Or otherwise, crash into a blue screen again.

I'm not sure if I'm the only one having all of these strange behaviours, But it's sure being a pain in the butt having to seem no fix anywhere possible where I look for.

[EDIT] I can fully access my BIOS altough on full battery, aswell just on charger alone, But anything after this still appears to crash into a blue screen most of the time.

System OS:Windows 10 64 BIT
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz
Memory: DDR4 8G+8G[ON BD]
GPU:Nvidia GeForce GTX1060
8 REPLIES 8

link626
Level 7
open the laptop, disconnect the battery cable.

plug in the ac adapter and run it without the battery connected. Do you still get blue screen and lag?

link626 wrote:
open the laptop, disconnect the battery cable.

plug in the ac adapter and run it without the battery connected. Do you still get blue screen and lag?

I tried out the solution, still bogus. Booting seems to loop at the ROG logo the entire time.

I can still access my desktop, although only when I'm below 9% crucial battery capacity for some weird reason. It's not seeming to be the battery that's creating the fault, so there might be something going on hard/software wise?

Some people at the shop I went to, said it had something to do with my GPU. I'm not entirely sure if that's the case?

link626
Level 7
Since you already took the battery out, it's not the charging circuit issue.

When you boot up at the ROG logo, do you see the spinning dot circle?

if it were me, I would move everything to a second partition, and then clean install Windows 10 again on the primary partition.

You could first try uninstalling the gpu drivers completely, including deleting the driver. That would help rule out gpu driver issue.

link626 wrote:
Since you already took the battery out, it's not the charging circuit issue.

When you boot up at the ROG logo, do you see the spinning dot circle?

if it were me, I would move everything to a second partition, and then clean install Windows 10 again on the primary partition.

You could first try uninstalling the gpu drivers completely, including deleting the driver. That would help rule out gpu driver issue.

Well to be frank, the dotted circle spins and freezes up after a while resulting in a BSOD. I also did the resolve that you told me, but no budge at all. I removed everything concerning the Nvidia drive instalation, but I keep getting these horrible crashes. It makes me think this has something to do with my graphics card as a whole? If so, Is there something I could do to test if my card is being faulty, or that if something else is going on behind the scenes.

As I said before, it has something to do with power. On a full battery my laptop wont budge at all to progress all the way through the boot sequence, or it just abruptly crashes into a BSOD, and on low battery, presumably at lower than 9% it just let's me pass without any problem. And that's where the core problem must reside at.

I know it seems quite strange and rare, but I seem to be the only one with this issue.:eek:

I know I'm necro posting this but did you ever figure this out? You probably don't have the laptop anymore but I just picked up one used for dirt cheap and it's getting the same issue as you are getting. At first I thought it was bad ram or a bad nvme but I just booted it up without the charger in it and it started up and I managed to get a fresh install of Windows 11 and when I was almost done with all the sign in the battery died, which it only lasted about 20 minutes, so I plugged in the charger and immediately started getting all sorts of different blue screen error messages every time it booted up. Sometimes it's a memory message sometimes it's a SQL message etc. If it was GPU related it would be doing it regardless if the charger is plugged in or not.

Have you tried with a different power supply?

I haven't but the power supply that I have is putting out within the correct voltage. Power supply shows 19.5 volts and mine's putting out 19.7 which is within spec.

I might try with this guy did as it seems to be a common issue amongst many different laptop manufacturers.

I fully charged my battery so hopefully I can get through finishing up the windows 11 installation and then I can get into that folder and delete that system file and see if it changes anything.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T-series-Laptops/I-get-BSOD-whenever-i-plu...