cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAM showing as N/A in BIOS

alyraver
Level 10
Evening all!

Not posted for a long while but nice to see the forum still going strong.

I have a problem with my RAM at the mo. It started few months back where I was getting random BSODs and the pc randomly crashing on startup and shut down etc

So after some investigation I have managed to narrow the problem down the RAM.

Quick spec - MOBO is RIVBE
Ram is Hyper X beast 32gb 2133

The issue is that only 2 stick of RAM are showing in the BIOS. The other dimms are showing as N/A in BIOS. I have tried swapping them around, re seating, selecting XMP profiles etc and all to no avail.
The last time the system was running ok the RAM was running at 2400. When the issues started I then lowered it down to 2133 and everything worked ok. But then the BSODs started again and after checking the RAM in the BIOS that's when I noticed only 2 sticks of RAM are registering. If I click on the DIMM tab in the BIOS it shows that there is RAM in there but is showing as N/A

The DIMMs showing as N/A are slots D1 and C1
the DIMMs that are 'ok' are A1 and B1

I have also tried each ram slot on their own in slot D1 (as per the user guide if using 1 stick) doing this I manage to get the RAM to show up in the D1 slot in BIOS - but it will only post and boot at 1333?

So is this looking like a RAM issue or Mobo issue?

any help much appreciated!
800D/Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition/i73930K @ 5.2/ Kingston Hyper X Beast 32GB 2400/ STRIX 1080TI OC, EK Nickel Plexi CPU block, No Rad + No Fans :D, Alphacool D5 Pump.. HC 500A chiller @ 4C - Max load temp @ 5.2 = 55c. Lowest Core Idle Temp = 3c
3 REPLIES 3

alyraver
Level 10
ok quick update - I cant get anything to post with just the D1 slot occupied. The computer posts and begins to load windows but then I get instant BSOD/crash.

With slots A1, B1 and C1 occupied everything works perfectly with no BSODs etc.

So im guessing my D1 slot has had it? Strange that it just suddenly stops working?
800D/Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition/i73930K @ 5.2/ Kingston Hyper X Beast 32GB 2400/ STRIX 1080TI OC, EK Nickel Plexi CPU block, No Rad + No Fans :D, Alphacool D5 Pump.. HC 500A chiller @ 4C - Max load temp @ 5.2 = 55c. Lowest Core Idle Temp = 3c

alyraver
Level 10
anyone?

haihane
Level 13
time to make sure if your D1 is really borked.

first, memtest your ram sticks? all of it. don't touch D1 slot yet.
run memtest with your first 3 sticks. if all passes,
take out one stick, put in the ram that's supposed to be on D1 on one empty slot, run memtest again.
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.