Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Maximus VII Hero won't boot up

otreblA
Level 7
Hi 🙂

This video shows my problem:

Basically I was doing banal things on the computer (some web browsing). I left the computer for a few minutes and when I got back the computer seemed to be hibernating but never woke up again. Then I opened the case and made the video you can see above. This was on Friday. Following advice from others I did several tests and applied several solutions (one of them the USB FlashBack BIOS minutes ago...) but no solution.

As you can see in the video the computer can't boot completely, it doesn't even send a signal to the monitor (so I can't see the BIOS). I also did CLR_CMOS but it didn't solve anything.

My processor was not even overclocked, everything was defaulted from day one. And speaking of the processor, I turned ON the motherboard without the i7 or RAM installed, but the result was the same.

What can I do? I'm still under warranty (I bought this system in November 2014), but if there's any other idea...

I apologize for my English.
9 REPLIES 9

Korth
Level 14
It's either PSU hardware fault or motherboard hardware/firmware fault. Or both, if one has also damaged the other.

What is making that screeching sound? A jammed PSU fan? Capacitor arcing? Badly oscillating rectifier/regulator diode(s)?

I'm guessing your PSU failed catastrophically. It looks like the most likely cause, except that the PSU hasn't shut itself down, they're (supposed to be) designed to failsafe. It seems to be caught in a loop, for some reason the usual PWR_OK assertion isn't working, the system pulses on and off while something (in the PSU?) screeches in agony.

If you're "lucky" then perhaps the cause is simply one of the modular power cables wiggling loose at one end. Or perhaps the cause is some sort of firmware failure (caused by something as mundane as dead CR2032 battery), a "bricked" motherboard which can be revived.

I'd recommend unplugging the system from AC power immediately. And leaving it unplugged until you can better identify the fault.
A malfunctioning PSU can contain dangerous (even lethal) voltages which can take a long time to discharge. Don't take it apart if you don't have the technical knowledge, and don't use a broken/dangerous PSU as practice to learn on, lol.
A malfunctioning PSU can damage the motherboard (and CPU, GPU, RAM, etc), while a malfunctioning motherboard can damage the PSU (and CPU, GPU, RAM, etc).

I think the PSU is a write-off, but the motherboard/etc might be salvageable. But better to know for sure before wrecking another PSU plugged into the motherboard.

Somebody @ASUS might recognize this as some sort of failure mode specific to their motherboard design.

Post this video on the Corsair forums, too. They might also be able to identify this as a failure mode specific to their PSU design.

(And off-topic, but I really like that beautiful CPU cooler.)
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth
Level 14
(Off topic, but that's a beautiful CPU cooler.)
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Hello @Korth and thank you for your help.

I think that the sound was my smartphone (or my fingers on the smartphone) because the fans are all OK and in "first person" I didn't hear anything. By the way, when I went back to the computer and saw it turned off, there was no sound at all (it seemed like a regular hibernation).

In the first few minutes I also blamed the PSU but put another one - Seasonic 620 - and the problem remained 😞

Since yesterday the motherboard is out of the case (as well as the rest of the components) and I have been doing several tests recommended by other people. This post in the ROG forum is my last hope to see if any technician - and I have already contacted local Asus - recognizes the problem and suggests something.

And finnaly, yeah that cooler is beautiful :cool:

Korth
Level 14
You (or a computer shop technician) can check out the first PSU or even both PSUs with a PSU tester.

The motherboard still doesn't work or still does the same "pulsing power cycle" thing with the second PSU?

You could attempt (or pay for) component level repair on the mobo. Probably a blown cap or failed PWM/VRM diode. M7H Z97 from like 2013~2014? 3-year warranty must be expired.

But it would probably be cheaper to replace the whole board.

On the plus side ... Z370/CFL just released. And any Z270/KBL or Z170/SKL still in stock will be that much cheaper.

[/Korth]

Both PSUs work in another system.

The motherboard has the same behavior with the second PSU.

With regard to the guarantee, here it says that is three years. Mine was purchased in November 2014. Anyway, I am waiting for the response from "Asus Ibérica" (Portugal and Spain).

Anyway, I'm psyched up that this is going to take a while. As for buying a new system, I did not want to do that 😞

Thanks for your help 🙂

Question: Do you think this is not caused by the processor?

Korth
Level 14
I think motherboard failure would most likely be something in the VRM circuitry, a dead cap or diode, a leaky electrolytic, a solid-state part failure. Or in an onboard logic part (PWM controller or PCH ASIC carrier or whatever) failing because of a failed BGA solder connection. The first sort of repair involves identifying the failed component (which can be a lengthy process) and soldering on a replacement (which is fairly quick and cheap). The second sort of repair involves hot air solder rework of the entire logic package (or an attempt to reflow the entire board in an oven, which is very hit or miss), it's likely expensive simply because you can't buy ASUS-proprietary ASICs or Intel PCHs as discrete parts, cheaper to obtain them already soldered onto new motherboards. Many of these parts are designed to be installed through automated industrial processes, not at all designed to be removed or replaced. It's not impossible to do this sort of rework manually, but it's also not cheap. A new motherboard would cost less.

[/Korth]

Yes, I'm looking (and starting to love it) a Z97 TUF motherboard 😮

Hello.
I sent the mobo for warranty and received it back (very, very fast service!). It's working right now but I don't know what the problem was or what was done :confused: